who hauls w/ a 4 cyl pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 2" lowered 4cyl 2.2l 5spd 96 chevy s10 to haul all my wood. I only have a 25 mile drive, with the axle banging off the frame. :biggrinbounce2:
My pile of logs is 4' high, 15' wide by 30' long and it was all hauled by the s10. If the wood is heavy I cant fill the truck or it will lay on the frame. I've had 1300 lbs of scrap iron on it before, the junk yard couldn't believe it. 130,000 miles and still going strong.
Chainsaw001-2.jpg

I added one leaf spring to each side of my dad's Ranger and it doesn't move at all now when he has a load of wood on. I know a guy that had an old 4 cylinder Nissan and he hauled a car trailer with a 1/2 ton Chevy on it. I had to tighten my front springs on my truck so when I pick my plow up it won't sink down.

Last edited:
I added one leaf spring to each side of my dad's Ranger and it doesn't move at all now when he has a load of wood on. I know a guy that had an old 4 cylinder Nissan and he hauled a car trailer with a 1/2 ton Chevy on it.

I used to have a 2.4 liter 1996 nissan shortbed. Damn nice little truck. Can't fathom towing a 1/2 ton chevy more than a few yards with it though. That's pretty hardcore. Within 100 lbs of my 2.7 4x4 tacoma's 3500 lb limit is as daring as I get. It's fun to abuse japanese 4 cylinders, they can take it.

The older japanese trucks were better imo. I know the frame on my ol 93 4x4 yota had about 3x as much steel as my Tacoma. It was slower and not as good on the highway but that truck's chassis was indestructable almost.

2000lbs behind an Aspire is impressive! Do you slip the clutch or tires starting a load like that on a hill?

I tow with my 03 tracker 4x4, 4 banger, with big loads its fun as you can get the back end to rise with the torque from the axle when starting off, just like the big rigs! :) First gear is quite low and 4th or 5th are close together so I can tow in 4th if I need to. Its rated to tow only 1500lbs and for highway trips I don't go much over that as I can imagine sudden swerving would get interesting really fast... I've thought of getting a trailer with brakes but most of the times I can just take more small loads without extra driving.
Ian

naw man, never slip the clutch...i always snap it to break the tires loose..
easier to change rubber then a clutch.....
i put new rod bearings in it, and run heavy 15-40w....i got a bad habit of lugging engines...used to diesels. i do it everytime with a manual...

it's geared quite low, flat ground is easy, hills, yeah, i always end up chirping the tires....little 13's, like $30 each, i can afford it...

i used to haul stuff in my 96 z71 350 votec. but hell, for the room of only fitting 6 furnaces, i can haul that easily on my trailer with my aspire! on a 60 mile round trip only burn a gallon and a 1/2 instead of 6!!!!! :dizzy:

what's the world coming to? oh right. we're on here because we're too cheap to burn propane or natural gas... :p

btw, that festiva video is one of a kind!

Last edited:
naw man, never slip the clutch...i always snap it to break the tires loose..
easier to change rubber then a clutch.....
i put new rod bearings in it, and run heavy 15-40w....i got a bad habit of lugging engines...used to diesels. i do it everytime with a manual...

it's geared quite low, flat ground is easy, hills, yeah, i always end up chirping the tires....little 13's, like $30 each, i can afford it...

i used to haul stuff in my 96 z71 350 votec. but hell, for the room of only fitting 6 furnaces, i can haul that easily on my trailer with my aspire! on a 60 mile round trip only burn a gallon and a 1/2 instead of 6!!!!! :dizzy:

what's the world coming to? oh right. we're on here because we're too cheap to burn propane or natural gas... :p

btw, that festiva video is one of a kind!
My buddy towed his fishing boat with his Yaris hatchback and I had to remind him that tires are cheaper than clutches on some of the launch ramps. It did fine though for towing, used 4th gear more on the highway but thats ok.
I'm running 15W40 diesel oil now in my tracker too, cheaper than synthetics and has better additives for actually working the engine. 5W30 is for the winter only for me.

1993 toyota p/u. 2.4L just really the coolest truck ive ever owned. throw wood in it, on it, at it.....when i got it, the rear leafs were cracked, and held together by a muffler clamp, so i replaced 'em. i neatly stack split wood in the back as much i can possibly fit, and my tires bulge a little, but the springs hardly sag. i leave the 2008 F-350 SD diesel (company truck) at home for hauling wood. why? its too freaking high, (4X4) with a utility body, it really doesnt hold that much more wood, and i frequently drive across my lawn to access my wood pile. toyota probably weighs 4,000 lbs with a load of wood, F-350 probably weighs 6500 lbs, with no wood. i love my toyota.

I had an '89 yota 4x4, and now an '01 -both 4 cyl., and moved tons of dirt, mulch, stone and firewood, with cautious success. The older model clearly had the greater load/weight capacity, which is why I'm interested in the mentioned 'helliwig helper springs' option. Is this a an owner installed item, how much of an increase in load carrying do they afford, and at what cost??
I'm going to google them, but figured I'd ask for the 'straight up' from the field.
Thanks

I appreciate the responses, and have scoped out the Hellwig spring helpers, but you know how it is .....a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Went down to talk to my mechanic about beefing up the springs and his opinion is that the much better way to do it is with 'coil -over' shocks [if available for a Tacoma 4X4]. He's both an experienced mechanic and an oval track racer, and reports that he's used and installed both. Stress distortion on original springs, eventual loosening and movement, and effect on handling when not under load are things he mentioned.
Though I'd throw this out there for comment.
On it goes...........

I don't know about Toyota - but the shock mounts on my Chevy S10 are not designed for carrying any loads from weight and don't appear to be strong enough to carry much additional load.

Latest posts

Back