Who here is our oldest woodcutter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ain't kiddin'

If I was kiddin' I'd take a few years off. Roosevelt was president when I was born . Hoover was before him - anyone alive when he was president ?

Nosmo

So far turnkey4099 at 75 is first.
bigolejon at 74 is second
Nosmo at 69 this month is third
Did I miss anyone ?

Been outside all morning long. Dug out around a stump then began a fire to get rid of it. While it was burning I mowed a little over an acre.

Gonna take the afternoon off.

Nosmo

You older fellas are an inspiration to me. I'm all of 51, and you make me confident I can follow in your footsteps and keep cutting for years to come. Thanks.

You older fellas are an inspiration to me. I'm all of 51, and you make me confident I can follow in your footsteps and keep cutting for years to come. Thanks.

I'm 55 and will be 56 soon and not too sure that I can follow in some of these guys footsteps. LOL I'm already feelin' my age. There's some tough old birds in this crowd. I'm just hopin' that in a few years I'll get senile and won't know how old I am so I can cut without thinking about my age.

I bought the 346 before they quit makin' 'em so I could cut when I get older and couldn't handle the 372.

Well, I already posted my age, and today I brought in a full truckload of white birch, red elm, ash, and sycamore. Good stuff, mostly green, and I'll let the big rounds sit sideways for a month and split them in August.

It was a little muddy, hot, and humid. I started at 7 am while it was still a little cool, got the truck loaded cab high by 9, unloaded by 10, and then split and stacked a truckload of partially dry stuff (cottonwood, elm, and mulberry) that should be ready to burn by December. Next, I put together five more bundles of campfire wood that I supply to the vacationers.

Finally, I knocked down a couple of mugs of cold beer, flirted with the bar maid who has a body that won't quit, devoured a cheeseburger with all the trimmings, and limped home.

Life is good. ;)

I am hoping that at 75-80 I can still bend over to load a couple of splits in the stove.

Here's to the old timers still showing us young(er) guys how to get-R-done.:cheers:

You can always get a top-loading stove! :laugh:

Amen to the salute to our elder statesmen-we salute you guys! It makes me scratch my head even more when I see my wood buddies "petering out" at just about 50! It's all a question of desire, I guess...and these fellas on this site have it! ;)

Well, I already posted my age, and today I brought in a full truckload of white birch, red elm, ash, and sycamore. Good stuff, mostly green, and I'll let the big rounds sit sideways for a month and split them in August.

It was a little muddy, hot, and humid. I started at 7 am while it was still a little cool, got the truck loaded cab high by 9, unloaded by 10, and then split and stacked a truckload of partially dry stuff (cottonwood, elm, and mulberry) that should be ready to burn by December. Next, I put together five more bundles of campfire wood that I supply to the vacationers.

Finally, I knocked down a couple of mugs of cold beer, flirted with the bar maid who has a body that won't quit, devoured a cheeseburger with all the trimmings, and limped home.

Life is good. ;)

Attaboy Doc-that's what I'm talkin' about! Keep choppin' 'em!:D

Through With The Younger Gals :)

Well I've made up my mind about these younger gals. I told my coffee bunch at Mc Donalds the other day I'm through chasin' these young gals. Gonna start trying some of the older set - say 22-25 or so. :)

Nosmo

My neighbor to the east, Harry, is 81 and still cuts on occasion and mills his own lumber with a nice Norwood mill. I take logs to him quite often to split between us for my labor. He tells me one day that 3 10 footers at 25'' dia. is all he usually does in a day and that is enough for me. I hope I'm in that good of shape when I hit my 80's.....50 more years to go, if I'd just quit smokin'.....JJuday.

3 friends

first guy is named Tom, still cuts all his firewood and some pulp in the winter. He's 81 this year. second is Edgar who at 81 bulldozes all summer and hauls 3 loads of pulp every day in the winter. third is #### , almost 80 still cutting and skidding pulp every day. guys like these are what keeps me going every day:rock:

Being retired and with lots of time is what 'gets-r-done' for me. I am only good for about 4 hours anymore before the old bod goes on strike. Gotta very small load of Locust to split in the morning so I can empty the truck and haul a yard of so load of chips for a border bed. Did finish my "dig up the bad standpipe" project and have the new one in today. Still have to back fill if I don't spot any leaks. Off to fall and work up the biggest Locust I have done this year - should go near a cord - Friday or Sat. Just a typical couple days in the old folks 'need to be doing something' life.

The idea is the old "use it or lose it". When I retired I knew I could not sit on my rear doing nothing.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back