Who is running a ported/modded milling saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you running a modded/ported milling saw

• Not me, I would not consider modding/porting a milling saw

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Not me, but I would consider modding/porting a milling saw

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Yes, muffler mod only

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Yes, woods ported or similar

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Yes, more than woods ported

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Yes, other mod not listed above

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Dont really see the point in modding a milling saw.(Its slow work modded or not) Milling chain is another story!
Not all of us can afford a saw for milling and a saw for bucking etc.
Paying Brad or someone $200 or more to mod a $700 saw does not seem cost effective either.
However, I won my JD CS62 as second place in the raffle for lightfoot's brother's help, and the 660 (later modded) was first prize. Karma demanded they be united.

With ONLY NON-SCIENTIFIC methods it seems the modded 660 w/ a slight port opening performs about the same as my "stock" 660 w/ a DP muffler. Despite mngun's comments on excessive heat from the DP muffler I think it's an excellent, EASY, swap which you can swap back if you don't like it. Try that with a port job.

There's several threads on the site about maxing power using both fully opened mufflers and port jobs. I've decided I'm happy so far with the gains on both saws and do not have the need to combine the DP with the ported saw.

And note - this is all about the 660, many other saws have not been "detuned" for EPA.

I'm running a Walkerized 3120. Dual port muffler. It doesn't seem to get too hot, but I don't have a baseline to comare it to. Pretty happy with it's performance.

Same thing with a Tree Sling'r 390, woods port, dual port muffler. Runs pretty cool and really screams through the wood. It doesn't oil as hard as the 3120, which you wouldn't expect it to.

I prefer the 152/153 Sachs Dolmars over the 1100/2100 Husqvarnas for milling.

I have 3 of each and the Dolmar will flat out "grunt" the 99cc Huskys.

Them old Sachs Dolmars are some strokers!

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back