who needs help for storm work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have to have out of state liscence?

I guess with smaller jobs, if possible try and get paid cash...???

should an insurence company have a problem paying an out of state company?

That is a good point and the way I have heard it goes down is your a sub
to local legal operating business! If your driving commercial vehicle's you
will have to be dot compliant and insured to leave state which is what made
my decision to stay in Katrina and the ok ice storm. It would cost me a
couple grand to leave state, then what? Out of state expense fuel etc.
for unknown work , I don't think so and stayed home.

As I see it, there is no way home owners are there to pay for removals, so you must have to sub out to large companies that have city/county contracts. I would imagine that finding work after a storm is easy, getting paid, not so.

so if homeowners wont pay for removals, who takes the tree off the house?:cry: of course they pay. and good, usually. you gotta get the trees off ASAP, and clear the hazards. then clean the yard. plenty of work. there are liscense issues in different states but if you are legal, and insured, you are usually ok. getting a local county license will allow you to skirt the state issue. take checks, put it in the bank, business as usual. what kills you are all the estimates people want. homeowner pays, insurance company reimburses them for emergency work.
after isabel there were over 10,000 houses with trees on them in williamsburg. all we did was lift em off for a month. cut em up, move em to the road.
But you guys are confusing the FEMA sponsored clean up with the actual tree work needed after the storm.
once an area is declared a disaster area, (which is done before the storm actually hits) FEMA becomes involved, and they pay anybody to haul.
when doing homeowner work all debris goes curbside. then FEMA takes over and pays by the cubic yard to haul it to a grinding site.
when you ride around looking at all the busted trees, it hurts, but we gotta eat too. nothing wrong with making money, just don't gouge them.
if it was'nt for us travellers, the local companies could not do it all.
the gratitude you get when you uncover their house is also really cool.

Last edited:
so if homeowners wont pay for removals, who takes the tree off the house?:cry: of course they pay. and good, usually. you gotta get the trees off ASAP, and clear the hazards. then clean the yard. plenty of work. there are liscense issues in different states but if you are legal, and insured, you are usually ok. getting a local county license will allow you to skirt the state issue. take checks, put it in the bank, business as usual. what kills you are all the estimates people want. homeowner pays, insurance company reimburses them for emergency work.
after isabel there were over 10,000 houses with trees on them in williamsburg. all we did was lift em off for a month. cut em up, move em to the road.
But you guys are confusing the FEMA sponsored clean up with the actual tree work needed after the storm.
once an area is declared a disaster area, (which is done before the storm actually hits) FEMA becomes involved, and they pay anybody to haul.
when doing homeowner work all debris goes curbside. then FEMA takes over and pays by the cubic yard to haul it to a grinding site.
when you ride around looking at all the busted trees, it hurts, but we gotta eat too. nothing wrong with making money, just don't gouge them.
if it was'nt for us travellers, the local companies could not do it all.
the gratitude you get when you uncover their house is also really cool.

hey i'm leavin tomoro with 3 guys and about 3 saws...depending on how much work there is to do we will be prepared to stay for weeks.

i got ur phone number.
heres mine 404 932 1723....let me know if you need extra help or u need to contract out some work. this will be my first storm.

We might need xtra help

Jason,

Could you please give me contact number just in case we'll be needing help?
Thanks...:greenchainsaw:

Ok i might as well throw my hat in the ring.I,m located in NE Ar.
Not expienced with hurricane deal,but always work ice storms.Probaly not much diff.Have 50ft.bucket,chipper,skidsteer with grapple and hard working
3 man crew.
Anyone falls into contract will be willing to go for good hourly rates.Not familar with working for fema.
Or will just sub out grapple work.

We get approached all the time by HOs while on contract to the utilities at storms.

Can't help em, but if I could have, it would be my name on the door by now with all that could've been made.

Packing bags and going for supplies myself this afternoon. You boys be careful down there..hear?!

so, does anyone exactly where they're going yet? I'm thinkin of going myself but I would also liked to know that I have promising work. I have 60' bucket, skid loader and dump trailer. I heard that a chipper is no use to bring?

ozark, leave the chipper, (waste of time). forget FEMA, (all they do is pay to haul debris). and go to an upscale area and be visible, knock on doors, START working, bid low to start. it will steamroll. takes a little effort to locate hard hit, affluent areas,
but worth it.

don't be the lemon, be the grapefruit. GO BIG.

HOA's are an okay shot, but can be notoriously cheap and a pain in the ass to deal with.

be prepared to rough it, pack water and food, and take lots of fuel.
and be especially mindful of your gear, there will be some riff raff running around, trying to steal everything they find. you're in the backyard, working, the scum will be in the front yard scoping out your truck.:chainsaw:
I have seen it all, believe me.
stay safe, and be nice to mean people.

so, does anyone exactly where they're going yet? I'm thinkin of going myself but I would also liked to know that I have promising work. I have 60' bucket, skid loader and dump trailer. I heard that a chipper is no use to bring?

chipper probaly noy much use took to tulasa last winter used it twice in 2 months.
Run the heck out of the skidsteer though.

all we have to do is move debris to street, so chippers, trailers and such do not contribute much to scope of work.

now a stump grinder,.......... 2nd best after the bobcat. right murphy?

im waiting to see who gets the most damage (what area)? I've seen a few companies from here around ohio heading down with a bucket and one pick up. so whos all going? New Orleans is exactly 900mi from here.

looks like the storm is headed to Texas. Houston, Galveston, Beaumont would all be good. oil money.!
I'm gonna nail every oil company exec I get near, payback.:censored:

here is the best tracking, now there are 2 hurricanes, tropical depression #9, and 3 other possibles lining up.

www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Last edited:
water tanks for weight. Fill to cross scale dump them along with load. If you wanted to get real dirty about it.

No! I don't want to get dirty about it! I don't scam victims of an emergency--- sounds liken you might. It also sounds like alot of you don't know the biz---you should.
Jeff (uncontentious)

I've never seen FEMA pay by weight, only by cubic yards. they spray paint the amount of yardage the truck or trailer holds on the side with fluorescent orange paint, and then have somebody on staging to look into the back of everything dumping at the collection sites.

I would like to go down a few days later than everyone else as all I have is a stump grinder. I'd love to give my number to several people to try to hook up with someone in a good area.

"clear the hazards"

Insurance will pay to repair trees if the right wording is used in the invoice. Not every "hazard" is a removal. There is room for tree care after a storm if you know how to do more than cut em down.

Back