who`s doing the moding and porting for an 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know that one must crawl before he can walk.
I was wondering that this much increase in power is worth going for;
as my 346 is from USA, there`s no warranty issue.
and since I`m all the way around the globe, I was wondering if I can only buy the moded parts, such as the muffler and the cylinder.
is it possible?
I`m thinking to send the money, then the artist buys for me the muff and the cyl, then he does his magic and then ships it back to me.

how`s that?
is there anyone who does that ?

"I" think the only way that could work .
You would have to send carb and intake also so the porter could run motor on his case , so that he could make sure everything was up to snuff.
You may have some final carb adjustments to make for you altitude/climate.

Setting the squish may be an issue. This is why most builders want the complete saw. There's variations in deck heights in crankcases which disallow setting the same squish band from one saw to the next.

that`s gonna suck; I`ll prolly pay around 100$ to have it shipped.
in fact my uncle put it yesterday to the UPS.
and I`m all the way in eastern Europe.

Setting the squish may be an issue. This is why most builders want the complete saw. There's variations in deck heights in crankcases which disallow setting the same squish band from one saw to the next.

On the older saws I will agree, most of the new stuff "seems" to be better.
I've probably done a dozen of the newer 346's and so far they have all been +-.001
It would most definitely be better to have the entire saw but I think it could be done with just the complete motor.

that`s gonna suck; I`ll prolly pay around 100$ to have it shipped.
in fact my uncle put it yesterday to the UPS.
and I`m all the way in eastern Europe.

"IF" he just shipped it yesterday you can still stop it and have it returned to sender, Not sure what the cost would be but it can be done.

yeah,maybe so; still there are some other factors to take into consideration: they`ll send it back to my uncle and I`ll have to coach him into sending forth and so on;
he`s old and I wouldn`t wanna do that. I`ll be happy if he got me the right 346. LOL. with picture sent and all, what models not to take etc.
I was hoping to get the moded parts and fit them myself.
in this case maybe I`ll buy from here new parts and give it a go; if I fail, I will have the original ones.
can someone help with some tutorials?
maybe I`ll mod the 340 first and then if successful try the 346.
thanks guys.

I think learning how to do it yourself may be the answer, either on your 340 first or buy a really cheap saw and try on that first, so if you break it it's not the end of the world!

of course, I've never modded a saw in my life...

Try it stock first, nothing to loose that way. Mine cuts just fine stock, could it be better, faster, maybe, but who ya racing? Still takes just as long to split and load the wood as before, thats where the real work is. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I've heard of it.....
REJ2

Try it stock first, nothing to loose that way. Mine cuts just fine stock, could it be better, faster, maybe, but who ya racing? Still takes just as long to split and load the wood as before, thats where the real work is. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I've heard of it.....
REJ2

Yeah thats true....I hate the splitting and stacking part.

REJ2

:agree2: Yes, +++.

The cutting is just a small part of it, specially if you do everything from standing trees in the woods.

You could do a muffler mod... Those are easy and cheap. Here is a thread that blsnelling made, I know it about the new MS261 but he has the 346XP results also. You can see it stock, muffler modded and ported. He even has pictures to go along with it... Good luck....
The videos start at page number 42....... There is a lot of reading for you...

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/153482.htm

On the older saws I will agree, most of the new stuff "seems" to be better.
I've probably done a dozen of the newer 346's and so far they have all been +-.001
It would most definitely be better to have the entire saw but I think it could be done with just the complete motor.

That's good to know- I have yet to work on an NE. My newest Husky is an '06 357.

That 261 thread was one of the most confusing threads ever.LOL :D

Count, like said run it stock for awhile. Then if you want more power, do a muff
mod and re-tune the carb.

First off, congrats on the new saw! I think you'll be happier if you allow the saw to follow a natural progression. You'll be more than happy with the saw the way it is stock. You'll notice the saw starting to "wake up" after your first few tanks of fuel. If you're happy with it then, keep cutting. If you think you want more, do a muffler mod. I can assure you that a broken in, muffler modded 346 will serve you very very well. Once the saw is broken in and muffler modded, if you still think you want more, then consider having it ported. BTW, I never much cared for Huskies till I ran a 346, they truly are a great great saw, congrats again!

There should be no problem doing a topend for you like that. Normally I won't, but in your case it makes sense. I would mock it up and degree it on a saw here. You'd have to check the squish though after installing it on your saw. And of course, tuning would be on you as well. You'll also need to mod the tank vent on your saw for it to flow enough fuel at WOT. I do this on all 346s I do any more.

count,
i can't beleive you guys have warewolfs, draculas, and all that other stuff over there and not one saw builder ?????? me confused ????

why be confused? saw builders test their saws? yes. where? in the woods. who`s there? warewolves, draculas and all that other stuff. do the math dude.

seriously; I haven`t found a decent dealer. 3 Husky and 3 Stihl dealers, they all tried to sell me saws I didn`t neither need or want.
When I asked questions, they paused. and so on.

I have told blsnelling this: I would have loved if I would have thought of this sooner. I will take my 346 and run it for a while; then decide if I mod it.
the next saw I`m thinking around 70cc, prolly Husky aswel. Then i`ll definitely know better. Also I won`t ask my uncle to buy another one for me. I hate to impose like that. so blsnelling I might keep you to your offer that I expect is on for the 70CC aswel. also I`d feel much better knowing that the whole saw runs ok being checked by a pro rather than having me tinkering the screws.

I also was convinced that dealers won`t ship outside USA due to some policies.

in the meanwhile, I`ll learn more about mods and ports and who knows? maybe the 346 will make me happy just the way it is.

thanks you guys. cheers.

There should be no problem doing a topend for you like that. Normally I won't, but in your case it makes sense. I would mock it up and degree it on a saw here. You'd have to check the squish though after installing it on your saw. And of course, tuning would be on you as well. You'll also need to mod the tank vent on your saw for it to flow enough fuel at WOT. I do this on all 346s I do any more.

I think that is a bit much for his current experience level. :curl-lip:

Back