Who used a chainsaw harder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openloop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The question is who is harder on a chainsaw in 1 day... a pro timber feller...a firewood hack.... or a guy that does milling? I know that a pro feller uses them hard every day compared to a firewood hack or miller, but a firewood hack makes many many cuts with his saw while collecting firewood. We all know how hard milling is on chainsaws. Question is, in a single day of use who is harder on the saw?

a timber faller, i hate useing the word pro, will not use his or her saw harder but more efficantly . useing any tool hard to me is thrashing the tool. just my two.

Depends on who it is. Personally, I believe in the old adage, "Work smarter, not harder." Some of the fallers out there make it look easy. They know the tricks to save steps, energy and time.

Now somebody flailing away with a saw might not be getting much done, but they may be working the saw "harder". So, using a chainsaw "harder" would not be a goal to have.

I treat my motors good and keep everything lubed, but I will admit that I do get abusive with the exterior of a saw. Throwing it, hitting things with it, dragging it etc..
With the occasional acception of the totaled saw, usually from a tree, sometimes from equipment, I think it is a tie between the firewood man and the milling man. The milling man works a motor, the firewood man dulls chains and also works the motor. Then again, everyone treats saws different, no matter what category they qualify under. .

well how many cuts can a feller make in 1 hour compared to someone cutting the same sized logs but cutting it into firewood rounds? It would seem a firewood hack would be able to get more cuts in, while the mill guy is pretty much maxed out on every cut through several feet of wood. No question though the feller is harder on a saw for any period longer than one day.

I think an inexperienced or impatient operator (whether pro, hack or miller) is hardest on a saw. Not keeping a chain sharp, properly tensioned, the bar well oiled or the saw properly tuned probably has more of an impact than the type of work being performed. A good miller knows not to push the saw and keeps it from overheating while an inexperienced operator will probably kill the saw by leaning it out, etc.

I think an inexperienced or impatient operator (whether pro, hack or miller) is hardest on a saw. Not keeping a chain sharp, properly tensioned, the bar well oiled or the saw properly tuned probably has more of an impact than the type of work being performed. A good miller knows not to push the saw and keeps it from overheating while an inexperienced operator will probably kill the saw by leaning it out, etc.

this is true... I cant count how many times ive stood back and just shook my head at how hard someone with a dull chain makes chainsaw operating look.

Simply throttling up a saw and cutting wood is fairly easy on it. When you start running dull chains, frequently binding/dogging, and jaking on a saw is when you start wearing things out.

The question is who is harder on a chainsaw in 1 day... a pro timber feller...a firewood hack.... or a guy that does milling? I know that a pro feller uses them hard every day compared to a firewood hack or miller, but a firewood hack makes many many cuts with his saw while collecting firewood. We all know how hard milling is on chainsaws. Question is, in a single day of use who is harder on the saw?

You forgot about Tree Service guys, they're pretty hard on saws.

well how many cuts can a feller make in 1 hour compared to someone cutting the same sized logs but cutting it into firewood rounds? It would seem a firewood hack would be able to get more cuts in, while the mill guy is pretty much maxed out on every cut through several feet of wood. No question though the feller is harder on a saw for any period longer than one day.

First off, the correct term is Faller.

Is not about how many cuts in an hour, it is hours of sawing in a day, if a Faller isn't sawing, he isn't getting paid. Typically a Faller will wear out a chainsaw every year or two, a firewood saw can live for many years. Firewood involves handling the wood, probably more than half the time consumed in a day.
Milling is tough, lots of hours, lots of wear.

Chasers on the landing.....if they aren't overworking the saw by running a dull chain and pulling the av mounts out when they get it in a bind, they'll set it behind the shovel and it gets smashed! Landing saws lead a short, painful existence.

Harder has a vast defenition. I say all around hard would be miller, then tree service guys, then timber cutter, then firewood guy. But ive seen some firewood guys that where downright hard on saws...dull chains, abuse, neglect. Im pretty easy on the saws i run...weather its mine or not....i have to work with it...so why would i tear it up? I wouldnt say that dawging them in is hard on them, but chain stalling constantly is hard on everything. Timber cutters put more hours on them and any amount of use is wear and tear...but what kind of wear and tear is considered hard on them? I would say that is the big question. I cut timber but i wouldnt say that is "hard" on saws....IMO it is what they where designed for...they are a tool...made to be used.

First off, the correct term is Faller.

Is not about how many cuts in an hour, it is hours of sawing in a day, if a Faller isn't sawing, he isn't getting paid. Typically a Faller will wear out a chainsaw every year or two, a firewood saw can live for many years. Firewood involves handling the wood, probably more than half the time consumed in a day.
Milling is tough, lots of hours, lots of wear.

I believe the terms feller and faller by definition are interchangeable....

I think the fool that cut's cookies let's the saw free rev and makes unimpressive you tube clips.

Harder has a vast defenition. I say all around hard would be miller, then tree service guys, then timber cutter, then firewood guy. But ive seen some firewood guys that where downright hard on saws...dull chains, abuse, neglect. Im pretty easy on the saws i run...weather its mine or not....i have to work with it...so why would i tear it up? I wouldnt say that dawging them in is hard on them, but chain stalling constantly is hard on everything. Timber cutters put more hours on them and any amount of use is wear and tear...but what kind of wear and tear is considered hard on them? I would say that is the big question. I cut timber but i wouldnt say that is "hard" on saws....IMO it is what they where designed for...they are a tool...made to be used.

I didnt mean which person per say is rougher on the saw... I meant which operation is harder on the saw in one day of use... a day of felling... and day of firewood or a day of milling. Imagine it is the same person using the saws for all three operations

Back