Who used a chainsaw harder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a logger,feller,faller or lumberjack. I think loggers/fallers are hardest on saws cosmetically. they just get thrown around the woods and beat through the brush. A firewood cutter makes many many more cuts per hour (Just my opinion). How many tanks of fuel does a faller go through in an hour? I have burned up 4 tanks with my 046 cutting firewood on a landing.

Feller vs. faller

Feller:

a) Slang for "fellow"
B) Bob Feller, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher

Faller:

A logger who is paid to cut down trees

RandyMac 1
openloop 0

Just admit it... you're old and assumed feller wasn't a proper way to describe someone who cuts down trees.... Hey you know those machines that are called feller bunchers??? wonder why they dont call them faller bunchers?

Cause, if they were called FALLER bunchers, some idiot might take the machine and start chasing the FALLERS in order to BUNCH them. Do you understand what bunching is? We foresters would then come upon a horrible scene of squished fallers, neatly stacked along the skid trail, ready for the grapple skidder. This would make more paperwork for the forester, who would have to write up an agreement for Material Not Listed In A2, and Incidental Material.

Because we don't look up terms in logging dictionaries, those machines are frequently called, bunchers. As in, "We're bringin' up the buncher tomorrow." Everybody would know what was meant.

Jargon changes by region. I'm old too. :tongue2:

Last edited:
In my opinion milling is the dumbest most abusive thing you can do to a saw. Band saws were invented for a reason, thinner blade wastes less material, you have a wide selection of tooth styles available and electric motors are designed to run constant all day. I would even take a pto driven circular saw blade over a chainsaw anyday.

I would have to say we work chainsaws hard here at my Firewood business.
We are not hard on them, we just work them hard. 6 days a week year round.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I would agree with you on that looks like a thousand cords.Since you cut so much what saws do you like?

Feller:

a) Slang for "fellow"
B) Bob Feller, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher

Faller:

A logger who is paid to cut down trees

RandyMac 1
openloop 0

in the pacific northwest ,people that dont know the diference are called a cull

fall·er (fôlr)
n.
1. One who cuts down trees; a lumberjack or feller.
2. A machine part or device that operates by falling.

It amazes me that anyone would ignore the published definitions of the words faller/feller. Randymac entered MY thread and insulted me...so F**k him. I dont care that some old west coat tree cutter says it one way...when it comes to diction I dont think Im gonna side with a guy that probably doesnt even own a dictionary. Im well aware of randymacs past career as a cutter...

ok so explain to an east coast welder the difference between a faller/feller and a lumberjack/logger...

ok so explain to an east coast welder the difference between a faller/feller and a lumberjack/logger...

A lumberjack would be a lakes states region logger or mill worker before the old timers moved west to the big wood in the PNW.

A faller, busheler, or cutter as we often call them here is a man who has cut the biggest, most valuable, trees in the most dangerous situatuations on the steepest ugliest ground you can imagine. He does this with a large saw, and has to take care to not damage the wood, get production and not kill or maim himself. These men deserve your respect. You should learn the lingo if you are going to talk to them....we could start talking about hookers, pimps and pig fu**ers....but those are terms you probably would associate with something other than logging.

A lumberjack would be a lakes states region logger or mill worker before the old timers moved west to the big wood in the PNW.

A faller, busheler, or cutter as we often call them here is a man who has cut the biggest, most valuable, trees in the most dangerous situatuations on the steepest ugliest ground you can imagine. He does this with a large saw, and has to take care to not damage the wood, get production and not kill or maim himself. These men deserve your respect. You should learn the lingo if you are going to talk to them....we could start talking about hookers, pimps and pig fu**ers....but those are terms you probably would associate with something other than logging.

If you are referring to randymac... look back at the post when without provocation he started hurling insults.....that man deserves no respect....because he obviously has none for anyone else.

fall·er (fôlr)
n.
1. One who cuts down trees; a lumberjack or feller.
2. A machine part or device that operates by falling.

It amazes me that anyone would ignore the published definitions of the words faller/feller. Randymac entered MY thread and insulted me...so F**k him. I dont care that some old west coat tree cutter says it one way...when it comes to diction I dont think Im gonna side with a guy that probably doesnt even own a dictionary. Im well aware of randymacs past career as a cutter...

While a dictionary can be a useful tool (you may want to consult it to correct your spelling mistakes above), it often lists obscure and archaic uses for particular word. In your case, owning a dictionary did not result in proper spelling or grammar, so I do not think that Randy will be especially insulted by your remark.

In case you forgot, this forum is titled Arboristsite. I am well aware of Randy's pedigree, perhaps you can enlighten us on your involvement in the forestry industry. In this case, I think I will go with the seasoned pro who gained experience by doing rather than someone who may have read it on-line.

By the way, you failed to cite your source so for all we know it is something you made up (if you are in fact that creative).

Latest posts

Back