Who uses WoodlandPro chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the Woodland Pro from Bailey's and I really like it. It does stretch initially but it seems it is a one time shot that happens the first time you run it and then stays snug after that.

It might be softer than some others but it seems to hold well as long as I want to cut and it takes well to a novice trying to get it sharp.

Like some others, I'm quite a distance from a saw shop. Their prices are quite a bit higher than Bailey's so I usually throw in a loop or two when I make an order.

I also bought a breaker and spinner so I can get longer loops on sale and shorten them to what I want.

For the money it's the best value out there. A lot better than the Oregon IMHO, not quite as good as Stihl, but you get two loops for the price of one!
We use the WP in our wood cutting operation and get excellent results with it.
It files a little easier than the Stihl chain, haven't really noticed much elongation. It's also delivered to the door, don't have to drive twenty miles to pick it up. It's the best chain for the money out there. Saves a lot of money in the course of a year. I would rate Stihl chain #1 and WP #2, but why pay double.

I used to only buy Stihl chain, which I think is the best. I've switched to woodland pro in the last 5 years for the great price. I honestly think it is better than Oregon chain.

I have also noticed that it is much sharper when prepackaged (factory made loops that come inside a box AND a little shrink wrap baggy.) vs loops that came off the reel. I can't verify that 100% though.

Chains don't stretch. They elongate. :)

Man o man am I asking for it with this one. :eek: :dizzy:

Maybe, but you are right! :)

The only complaint I have with Carlton chain is the lack of an AV "chassis" - and it isn't a big deal. In addition, the few I have used sure needed sharpening before the first use more than Oregon and Stihl ones do, but again, no big deal.

Last edited:
I run it just for the savings over Stihl.

It holds up as well, and have had no issues with stretching after the initial stretch out of the box.

RSC might be faster by a smidge, but that advantage goes away when the file comes out.

The biggest difference is the WP/Carlton is not a anti-vibe chain design, and is NOT as smooth as the Stihl chains.

I don't mind a little vibration, but some folks get ate up by it.

WP semi-chisel is the STUFF for dirty skidded wood.
Stihl RM is great for dirty cutting, but at twice the price, why bother.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've had good luck with it. I think it's better than the Oregon chain I've used and the price can't be beat!

i only have one loop and i havent used it yet but for $10 a 16" loop if it only last 10 shapenings ill be happy, heck the local shop charges $8 to sharpen one:jawdrop:

Not tried the WP but...

My Stihl dealer sells Stihl loops at half price every October. I stock up on that but will try some WP one of these days. It looks like a pretty good deal if I need something to get me by until the next sale!

I was bucking up with Woodland skip semi chisel and it does not hold up as well as Stihl skip semi chisel and it needed to be sharpened more often in the same wood. From a professional point of view I would not and do not buy it over Stihl, as a matter of fact I will only buy Stihl chain as it simply holds an edge that much longer, as to make it more profitable in the long run.

My experience,

Sam

I like the fact that any chain is a far more superior to one of those ancient two man swede saws.....now give me my rep!!!!

Thats what Im talking about. For now. Maybe something new later.

*raises hand*

Cut WAY WAY better than the 91VX safety chain I had on my saw before. I am now using WoodlandPro 30LP on my consumer saw. It's made the saw completely different!

I have been using it and like it. Maybe it is not as durable as Stihl, but I am not sure about that either. After the new edge is gone, it seems to me that it lasts as long as Stihl in the dirty stuff that I cut. It lasts just long enough to get me to my next break! I will continue to use it when you can get it nearly two to one over Stihl pricewise.

I don't see that stretch is a real problem. I never tighten a chain while it is hot and I have few issues with it.

Latest posts

Back