Who Wants Next : "Lies, Logs, & Loggers" ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Passing on the loan of Bob,Live Oak, Cal .,his copy of "Lies, Logs, & Loggers" published in '61. Interesting stories about the hard way of logging life back "in the days". Some bad jokes, some OK, but a real insight into how and why those guys worked then. Nice analogy to war and the camaradarie developed in combat situations.

OK. First PM address to me gets it to read and pass it on.

Bob's quote: "I own this book and I want the S.O.B back ! "

Frequenting a couple used book stores. one it particular is very good at finding things.

What other titles would be a good find?

Look for "Deadfall" by James LeMonds. It's published by Mt. Press Publishing in Missoula. ISBN 0-87842-421-0

The book details recent logging events in SW Washington from the perspective of a group of family members. All are involved, in one way or another, in logging.

It's probably one of the most authentic books on logging that I've read in a long time. It helps peel away a lot of the false mystique about loggers and represents them as people...not much different than other people, just with a difficult and unique way of making a living.

It also details quite a bit of the history of Weyerhauser...warts and all.

This book was published in 2001 and will probably be easy to find. If it's not I guess I could start a second book off on another magical mystery tour.:)

:cheers: Bob

i seen a show on history channel not to long ago on the old loggers here in missoura, back when they hand hewn ties for the RR. showed old film clips of horse and buggy to skid the logs, the float trips, etc. those guys made a whole 1 1/2 to 2 cent a tie back then and it was all oak. seeing them guys carry a watersoaked tie on thier shoulder made my back hurt.

Back