Who wants to play how much wood do I have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer is:

64.08 cu. ft.-So just a :censored: hair more than a 1/2 cord. It stacked to 6' tall x 4' wide and 32" deep. I put it outside of the woodshed. Some of it is getting punky and I want it to dry as quick as possible. I'll put a tarp on it and probably burn it in March.

All in all some pretty accurate estimates.

It was a maple trunk that was down in a guy's yard right across from where I work. He gave me all of the wood they have been cleaning up with the stipulation that I cut and take the maple. So far I've hauled two of my truckloads, this maple and my buddy took a 1 ton dump load of rounds that we loaded with a forklift from work. Put enough on his truck that we made a F350 squat to past level. There are still 3 truckloads in the backyard that I'll be getting this week.
Base upon this estimate, I think that the actual volume is 67 cubic feet. OP may have forgot to include the bag full of chips and bark that he collected for kindling and tinder to ensue that his wood stove lighted correctly on cold days. :givebeer:

OP may have forgot to include the bag full of chips and bark that he collected for kindling and tinder to ensue that his wood stove lighted correctly on cold days. :givebeer:[/QUOTE]

Chips and loose bark do not get stacked and measured. That may have been included if the rounds were weighed, but this is a calculation of stacked wood. Ya have to consider waste when estimating the stack of usable wood.:sword:

Chips and loose bark do not get stacked and measured. That may have been included if the rounds were weighed, but this is a calculation of stacked wood. Ya have to consider waste when estimating the stack of usable wood.:sword:

So, you are saying that all that "waste" biomass that the splitter produces from OP's original collection of rounds means nothing?

Well, it sure means something to me on a cold morning when trying to light three logs in the stove. I also thinks it means something to OP. He's from Illinois.

Doc

Not saying it means nothing, HO might expect to get a grocery bag of kindling. I was just saying it's not usually included in the stack measurement.

You're right Wood Doctor. I do collect that stuff up and keep it in a hopper. But in this case it is not in the stack of wood and the measurements. This is maple and therefore not worth much in my woodpile. Definately shoulder season wood. Some of the punkier stuff actually went in the camping wood pile after measurements were taken.

Back