who warms up their saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
warming up your saw by letting it idle is a waste of time and fuel. Best way to warm up a saw or any engine and reaching the point of good operating temperature is to put it to work.
Like many have said before, start the saw, few blips to clear the smoke (rich mix)and put it in the wood.

Last edited:
RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
well I do believe in warming them up,,,,

it doesnt matter what it is,,,, before I go full throttle on my saws especially the 70+ CC's and larger oh,,, and the 044 with catalytic muffler,,,, I do warm them up usually about 30 to 45 seconds @ between 1/4 & 1/2 throttle in the warm months,, usually a bit longer in the winter months 1 - 1 1/2 minutes Maybe,,,,,, I warmed up my 066 wearing an Oregon reduced weight 36" B/C real good before I stuck it in this Two year downed heritage oak for 4 cuts yesterday that we had to haul off ,,,,,, that is cut # 1!!! a previous wood butcher had given up on the job and left a mess!!!!!

attachment.php

Last edited:
MS-310

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
:bang:
It is stock390 4+4 4speed granny 410 ratios dana sixties limited slip
front and back it can be beat but you better mod that chevy I am
stock!

Now you got me all warmed up:bang: You said ford made the best axles in post #97 like you said it has dana 60s well my chevy has dana's in it, also for that year (I think) it should have a NP 205 t-case also? Same in my chevy, I mud run way to much, been with ford freaks chevy freaks and even crazy dodge people and havent found the best truck yet, cuz they dont make one....yes my mud truck has a dodge dana 60 and yes has a chevy 14 bolt, NP 205 t case. 5.13 gears posi frount and rear, 44" boggers and a nice running small block making in the range of 535hp.

I just wanted to say my point that fords and chevys and even dodges are the best some where and really bad some where else. I must say my old 69 chevy with a 396 and 4 speed granny would be very fun to hook up to you.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The pissing contest

Are ya gonna warm up that 390 before it get's slithered backwards? :laugh:
If the 396 chev can't do it, then I get the old 74 DODGE dump out.
383, 4spd, 4wheel, dually rear. 3 tons of american pride.
Axles? The stock D44 up front, but a D70 in the rear. :D

The other fella said it right. It don't matter who made it, if it will haul from point A to point B, and get your sore behind back to point A then it is good.

I would love to haul wood with a Mercedes! :blob2:
Unimog, that is.....:D :D

-Pat

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I guess like most of you after starting a saw I let it idle for maybe 10-15 seconds then blip the trigger to clear it out and go to work. I take it easy the first cut if I remember to. I rarely cut in weather below freezing so I am no expert but my saw guy seems to think my saws are well maintained and run strong. BTW I run Opti 2 or Stihl Ultra oil and Stihl Bio Plus chain oil.

Oh, and a 65 Shelby GT350 Mustang only came with a 289. Never with a big block. The 65 Shelby Cobra had the 427. I've owned 2 Shelby Mustangs in the past. Sigh!!

Last edited:

rxe

ArboristSite Guru
After a few seconds of cold idling, I generally hold them at a fast idle for 10 - 20 seconds. That would mean about 3000 - 4000 rpm - enough to get the chain spinning and oil flowing. I think that this is the best trade off between getting them warmed up quickly, and running in to potential rapid expansion problems. It also lets me check the oiler - the chain should be visibly flinging oil after 10 seconds. Big saws (880, 090) get warmed up more thoroughly, as do old saws. Smaller stuff gets put to work quite quickly.

Saws aren't like cars - as long as the cylinder and piston are hot, then you're good to go with a saw. That doesn't take long on the average saw.

flyinghunter

flyinghunter

ArboristSite Member
I always let any engine warm up before putting it to work especially two strokes.
I once watched a guy start up a YZ250 from cold and procede to do a burnout, as soon as he got to top gear with the back tyre smokin real good the bike just died and stopped. I laughed like hell at his look of bewilderment when he couldn't kick it over - seized solid, he put it back on his ute and went home..................... what an idiot.

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
I always let any engine warm up before putting it to work especially two strokes.
I once watched a guy start up a YZ250 from cold and procede to do a burnout, as soon as he got to top gear with the back tyre smokin real good the bike just died and stopped. I laughed like hell at his look of bewilderment when he couldn't kick it over - seized solid, he put it back on his ute and went home..................... what an idiot.

Sounds more likely that he had straight gas or an air leak.

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!

Cold seizing will do that!!!

Latest posts