Who wears chaps while climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear chaps aloft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

canopyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe the topic has been posted before, but I didn't see it. Staring at the WesSpur catalog cover and the guy has chaps on going up the tree. I've started wearing them on the ground, but not sure I'm ready to deal with the added bulk up in the tree.

Just curious.

When I have the trim saw no way, but when I have to take the 660 up yeah I do. Haven't needed em, but don't wanna find out the hard way shoulda had'em on.

i now wear chaps from punch in to punch out. its easier that way. i climb all day in them too. once you get used to them you won't want to work without them.

I'm not cutting near my legs very often while climbing. Not sure why anyone would wear them in the tree. I find them very uncomfortable even on the ground. I would go as far as to say the the added discomfort (server swamp ass) from chaps might cause me to have a chain saw related accident. My I do pull them out in the winter for ground work if its really cold...

On removals or if I am doing a lot of chainsaw work for pruning (very rare), I wear chainsaw pants in the tree. Otherwise, chaps all the time when using a chainsaw on the ground.

On removals or if I am doing a lot of chainsaw work for pruning (very rare), I wear chainsaw pants in the tree. Otherwise, chaps all the time when using a chainsaw on the ground.

What he said...almost, (chaps not 100% on the ground) Trousers of choice, Stihl Hi Flex...

When I have the trim saw no way, but when I have to take the 660 up yeah I do. Haven't needed em, but don't wanna find out the hard way shoulda had'em on.

Speaking of 660...posted this down in the chainsaw forum. But here it is again.

object>

Edit: Well ****! I can't get it to embed again. This will have to do.

Last edited:
I put them on in the morning and take them off when I park the truck. It's too easy to grab a saw and make ONE cut that goes wrong. I've been told I'm to paranoid but it's my leg/life so I wear 'em on the ground, in the tree's and even eating lunch.

ive been climbing for 11 years and never wore chaps in the tree. i hate wearing them on the ground but its company policy. i thought the only people who wore chaps in the trees were the guys posing for cover shots..
i better not cut myself now...

I use to have a custom pair of cut off chaps that came down about 2inches above my knees that I wore for large removals. Wore them out and never replaced them.
I use to ware chaps when I ran a saw while cutting fire line. One time after cutting line all night I rested the saw on my thigh and those chaps save me from a nasty cut.
I don't ware chaps now, but thats mostly because I don't own a pair. They only need to save you once in your career to be valuable and needed. beast.

I always wear chainsaw pants, its a must these days with OH&S everywhere. Ground guys wear chaps but as a climber they are to bulky after you start putting on harnesses and chainsaws and whatever other gadgets and what not we take up with us.
Summer chainsaw pants are the best mid point between no chaps and chaps.

Chainsaw protective pants

I wear Stihl Chainsaw Protective pants all day, every day. They are light, and very breathable, you dont even know you are wearing them. We all had to wear them when working in the UK. When I went to Alaska to climb there, it was a foreign concept, and you were lucky if people even wore/had chaps.

You just cant take that chance. I worked in a firm of over 50 climbers, and at least a few a week would have nicks on their trousers. If you dont have that protectection, it is bye bye.

Get yourself a pair of cahnsaw protective pants.

me too and I have the scars to prove it....lol..

Well, truthfully.. I suspect there are few of us on here who use a saw every day who does not have one scar somewhere. Saws are darn unforgiving tools.. powerful, fast and hungry. Admit it :) Most of us have had one small bite somewhere at sometime.

Back