Who wears chaps while climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear chaps aloft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
shorts?

I am kind of weird on this one, as in the spring/summer I wear shorts aloft. I ALWAYS wear chaps, either apron-style or wraparound when donning the shorts in the tree.

Fall/winter, I wear the chaps in the tree most of the time. Almost all of the time, to be sure.

I figure that the rule-change is coming, so get used to it while it's not mandatory.

It's very faulty logic to say that "I've never been cut with a saw and having been doing this XX years - no chaps ever - why start now?" because it only takes one slip-up. Chaps just aren't that bad. Try a pair today and save your career.

10 years ago I fashioned a pair of mechanic overhauls into tree climbing chaps. I cut away the clogger panels and stitched em to the front legs of my ohauls. Works Ok neat tidy no foul easy on off. Ohauls are good keeps clear your harness n gear you get no loose shirts hiding your hooks and no pants pullin up or down your legs etc.
Not used all the time I,ll choose when the need fits eg cuttin messy tricky in close timber.

10 years ago I fashioned a pair of mechanic overhauls into tree climbing chaps. I cut away the clogger panels and stitched em to the front legs of my ohauls. Works Ok neat tidy no foul easy on off. Ohauls are good keeps clear your harness n gear you get no loose shirts hiding your hooks and no pants pullin up or down your legs etc.
Not used all the time I,ll choose when the need fits eg cuttin messy tricky in close timber.

But where is the kevlar? Proper climbing/protection pants have kevlar in them to reduce injury from a saw, they will stop a chainsaw at full throttle (we tested it on an old pair). They did cut about 1/4" into the log inside the leg... but then that was a 441 running at full throttle we were using - one would never leave their finger on the throttle if the saw was chewing at their body!

I'm guessing what he meant by "the clogger panels" were the kevlar parts off of whatever chaps he was sacrificing to sew some armor on his overalls.

I'm guessing what he meant by "the clogger panels" were the kevlar parts off of whatever chaps he was sacrificing to sew some armor on his overalls.

Yup kinda I err believe that the clogging material is not kevlar but layers of poly fiber set to jam your misguided saw. Kevlar jeans for MC-bike pants but thats friction not cuttin.
This was in 96 when I worked for assplundah their policey was no chaps no cut "fine I said" how do I climb with these orange bags of snags ? With no suitable answer I found my own way. These guys preached all safety then let you one arm handle saw in a tree and gave you saws to do so without auto inertia chain brakes. They said need chaps on whilst pruning from a bucket lift with a hyro pole saw ?? "In a bucket of fibre glass with saw chain 6 foot away" err go figure that.

If I was younger and climbing more I would invest in those trick Sherill pants they look ideal I just reckon pants pull down as you work and your shirts untuck as you go then hide your harness snap points, not good clip in to cotton n lean back....

Yup kinda I err believe that the clogging material is not kevlar but layers of poly fiber set to jam your misguided saw. Kevlar jeans for MC-bike pants but thats friction not cuttin.

Ok. The only issue may be what the material was, and how large it was. I was at a session where they explained and then demonstrated how the pants (or chaps) actually work. They were using pants, but chaps would be same.

The kevlar in chainsaw resistant clothing is in long strands. Unlike police vests, it is not designed to stop a puncture, and will not do so. However, the long strands get hung up in the saw, and actually pull out of the pants/chaps and clog the saw up. They stated that you can not sew the pants or chaps at any location without causing potentially serious issues in safety, as you would prevent the strands from pulling out properly. They indicated the minimum length of stand to work properly (which is minimum between seams they can use). Forget but think it was close to 2 feet without any stitching to work properly on a larger saw (smaller saws take less material).

Was kind of neat, and they wrecked a few pairs of pants later demonstrating how it works. I did the same thing at our shop last fall with an old pair of pants, kind of messed up a 441 that we had to clean up but was good demonstration.

They said to never get gasoline or oil on the material as it will weaken the kevlar material, and to never stitch the clothing through the kevlar. If it gets a tear, to only stitch the surface material and NEVER stitch into the kevlar.

So... not sure how that impacts what you had. Or if it does.. or for that matter if what they told us was even 100% accurate info..

Ok. The only issue may be what the material was, and how large it was. I was at a session where they explained and then demonstrated how the pants (or chaps) actually work. They were using pants, but chaps would be same.

The Kevlar in chainsaw resistant clothing is in long strands. ..

Well seems your right, kevlar is in the blend or can be 100% the clogging fiber stands these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52N9YPfFkcw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilcLXpdJK0

My old gear (note the ref to 10 years in vid 2) I say is all poly stand was whole panels taken and stitched to Ohauls so no change in the cut proof lay out or structure. I have never tested but live in hope they will work to a greater % but by no means will as well new gear of 2010.

My 2 cents worth.

I wear either my Husky chainsaw pants or a slick pair that I got from Madsens Supply in Centralia OR. They have the snaps and sleave installed on a set of tough denim work jeans so you can put the Labonville chainsaw protection pads in. Heavier than a regular pair of pants, and kinda sweaty at the end of the day. But I would rather suffer a little sweat than chop my leg off. Both pairs work well for climbing and I use both. Just depends on what I pick up in the morning.

Chaps

Always. 20 + years of running saws I've seen my share of cuts. I use the inside - the - pant chaps. You can either install the female snaps ( the come with the males attached ) or you can cut two slits at the top and hook them over the waist of your trousers and hook them on the suspender buttons. They are not as hot as external chaps and there are no straps or buckles to get in the way.:cheers::cheers:

Always. 20 + years of running saws I've seen my share of cuts. I use the inside - the - pant chaps. You can either install the female snaps ( the come with the males attached ) or you can cut two slits at the top and hook them over the waist of your trousers and hook them on the suspender buttons. They are not as hot as external chaps and there are no straps or buckles to get in the way.:cheers::cheers:

That sounds good and welcome to AS.
If you could post a pic of how your system works, may help. I think I got it/how but pic will help. Any chaps with less snags n cooler is gold here in OZ.
Postin pix is a black art so good luck, many threads in search box to help you.

Chaps in a tree, never. I dont understand chaps in a tree.In a tree my cuts are at chest and face level. A hockey mask and chest armor would make more sense.

Last edited:
Here's how I and Burntslap do it. Perhaps a tad unorthodox these days but mine is about 15 years old home made. If I was 20 n not 48 I get a pair of new Sherill's.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Bslap here's a thread with how I learned to post pix in it, patience young jedii.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=118877

Back