whoopie sling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it will adjust easily, it is a lot faster to move in between cuts. This is handy if you are rigging down a tall spar and need to move your lowering block down between each cut. It also is very easy to snug up so you don't have a lot of slack.

Right on! Been a while since I've been to church. I am about to order one of them thar Bibles now.
Thanks

Uh-oh........

Another newbie, getting fed to the vulture.

Welcome to A.S., Mason. Even if you don't buy anything from them (yeah, RIGHT!), the Sherrill catalog is one of the best tools you can have in your arsenal. The most comprehensive arborist listings of any supply house, and tons of informative drawings and illustrations. You know most of us treemen understand better with pictures. :p Check out their site using the link at the top of the page (unless you have ad blocker, then you can't see it).

Yeah, that's what the guy who sold it to me said it was for! I've tried using it seven ways to Sunday and couldn't get the darn thing to work.:D

looking at the picture, I can tell that the sling is choker hitched at the tree, but how does it attach to the PW or rigging block? Do you need hardware or does it girth hitch?

Thanks

rwilk

Rigging slings

Currently, I think that a Loopie may be better than a Whoopie sling. The Whoopie is an adjustable eye-to-eye sling, whereas a Loopie is an adjustable loop. Here are my reasons:
1-With a loopie, the wear is always at the same spot on one of the eyes. If you often use it at around the same size, the wear is at the same spot on BOTH eyes. With the Loopie, you can "spread the wear" just by moving the loop around a little.
2-A Loopie can be snugged down to a much smaller size than can the Whoopie. The Whoopie can only be as small as the length of the bury of the static eye, plus the length of the bury for the adjustable leg. With a Loopie, you can make a loop the length just a tiny bit longer than adjustable bury.

I must give credit- It was a discussion with Norm Hall that brought me to these conclusions. It all makes sense so far! Let me know if you disagree!

love
nick

attaching the lowering device

Good question rwilk-
you can girth hitch the sling to a port-a-wrap, or, it is acceptable to use a carabiner of appropriate rating. The girth hitch takes out one link, which is one potential point of failure...thus more secure. using the carabiner is more convenient, i think.

love
nick

I think i recall some discussion in the past about points of failure for whoopie slings, I don't think they are for heavy rigging. Anybody remember?

You just need to know the SWL of the product and the forces you will be applying.

Which is why i keep bringing up the tests that Dave Spencer did finding that running a 500 # load properly on a PW put around 3.5 times that force on the rigging line.

I know many of us don't realize the forces we apply in heavy rigging operations.

Just seeing the blank stares people give when trying to explain how the angle of inflection of a rope in a block will multiply the force on the block anchor justifies this belief.

3.5 is meaningless. How many wraps, what size rope, what humidity, how much friction is the groundman applying, which model port-a-wrap?
I can stop a load dead on my port-a-wrap, if the peice is droped 10 feet on static line, is that a 3.5 multiplier?

Most whoopie slings have a load rating label on them, and yes, the rated load is suprisingly low compared to the rated strength of the rope it is made from.

JPS, I'm not disputing (yet;) ) but I am having trouble seeing how the PW can multiply the load on the rigging line. Do you have an explanation so that I can try to wrap my mind around the physics?

3.5 is meaningless
I'm using this as anecdotal evidance, not a rule of thumb. It is not meaningless.

It is just to show that the loads we put on the rigging line are not just the weight of the load we are lowering. Weight is just one force we are dealing with. If we are going to advocate dealing with bigger wood, we need to advocate understanding the forces involved. Not total comprehention, because there are too many variables involved. Add to Mike's list the experiance of the PW operator. Any friction in the tree...

We have people argue that the force multiplyer on a rigging sling will not be X because of friction other places. So what, there is significant additional force in this part of the system. Be aware of it.

If you are going to run out big pieces with a PW be aware that the friction breaking will add siginficant force to the load being run.

I can stop a load dead on my port-a-wrap
Which is why I always try to state that Dave had the load run properly, gradual braking.

With the proper equations you can figure what force is needed to stop load X from falling Y feet. Sice speed tripples with each unit of measure, it is obviouse that you would want the line that is catching the load to be as short as possible.

Which brings me to
but I am having trouble seeing how the PW can multiply the load on the rigging line
Disapating kinetic energy, speed, velosity.

Your still seeing the load as a 500# chunk of wood. See it as load X being chunked out from Y feet. As Y increases then the speed does also. so the force that the ground needs to absorb is greater, hence bigger holes to fill in.

Or to be a little more direct, the same chunk dropped from a taller spar makes a bigger divot because it has more energy in it.

Latest posts

Back