whoops!!.... feeling pretty dumb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always worn chaps and NEVER has a chain come in contact with my chaps - as I follow all the safety rules...

...that is until this past year!

Three times my chain came flying off the bar and hit my leg this past year. Each time I didn't notice it until I took off my chaps and noticed the new tear.

So you never know when this stuff is going to happen! (When you least expect it.)

Also with a properly adjusted saw, the chain will not move at idle speed.

And I always apply the chain brake before moving to a new location. Too much stuff to trip on out there...

3 times

EXACTLY !! both my cuts over the years were from IDLING saws. :chainsaw:

that's when our guard is down.

best thread of the day.:cheers:

I've clipped my chaps 3 times over the last few years, every time was with saw at an idle. They really suck to wear in the summer but beat a trip to the ER hands down every time!!!! Wear your PSE !!! Don't be stupid:dizzy:

Late last winter was the first time my chaps saved my skin, coming out of cut, chain was slowing down to low idle but the chain was moving just enough to tear the cover fabric 1", it didn't catch the interior fibers, but that little nick serves as my reminder everytime I put them on.

Old chaps that may no longer protect you from a chainsaw work great for weedwhacking duty.

Don't get complacent

At the minimum I always have chaps, steel toed boots and eye protection. As much as I shudder when I think back I was one of those guys who cut with shorts and sneakers on but after reading a very graphic article by an emergency room doctor about chainsaw related trauma I have never cut without PPE again. He explained that a chainsaw (just like it does to trees) not only cuts your skin it removes flesh, muscle and bone that get in it's way as well. Everytime I have left the house and forgot my PPE and have been tempted not to turn around I think about the article. Here's a sample...

"Some of the radiologic features of chain-saw injuries are described. These occurred in an industrial logging community, where the use of such machines is common. The increasing availability of chain saws for domestic use makes it likely that accident and emergency departments will be seeing a wide variety of injuries following accidents with chain saws. The radiologic appearances include the chipping of bone, the breaching of joint cavities, and partial severing of tubular bones."

Glad to hear your safe, most important. I've often thought same thing, If a saw is going to bite me, it will be while walking along, stumble, etc. I always try and use chain break when moving.

Since this thread seems to be oriented around safety, can anyone tell me if the chainsaw compression bandages that I am seeing in some of the supplier
catalogs are just plain absorption bandages or if they have a special blood stopping agent incorporated within the bandage itself. I often have to cut alone out of necessity and wondered if one of these bandages would be good insurance to carry on my person while I work.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw: :cheers:

Late last winter was the first time my chaps saved my skin, coming out of cut, chain was slowing down to low idle but the chain was moving just enough to tear the cover fabric 1", it didn't catch the interior fibers, but that little nick serves as my reminder everytime I put them on.

Old chaps that may no longer protect you from a chainsaw work great for weedwhacking duty.
Chaps will also help keep you warm too!!!They are under the snow somewhere.
attachment.php

Had a near miss this year as well. I was not wearing chaps, and was pulling out of a cut, the saw was at idle and I was pushing the round with my foot to roll it the rest of the way over. Caught my pant leg, but missed the skin. I have a ruined pair of pants, as well as a new found respect. (Been running saws for a few years(5-6) Haven't run it yet. My ms290 is upset that I have been plowing snow not cutting, but no chaps... no sawing.

You know chaps also help things that fly out of a cut from sticking in your leg
i seen a guy catch a piece of fence it and shot it out like a bullet it
would have went deep into his leg if not for the chaps he did have a nasty
bruise as a reminder.:chainsaw: blood and guts is not part of a good cutting
day.cool leaves the biulding with a ambulance ride.

Chapps

:censored: less chaps WHOO HOOO
OK.. Just took out a 65 dollar insurance policy against an oops... They guy said they used to be 54, but he "guesses" they went up. Love my local store. "The computer told em"

Whatever it is. They seem pretty useful. I would rather that than the near miss I had before.

BTW, the package said that you must wash before putting into service. Is this a mandatory? I was going to buy, wear, work 'em like :censored: and wash when only NECESSARY

well i went and cut for the first time since i tried to saw my leg off. i will say i cut wood in a totally different way than before... use brake, set saw down, and take time to go get the little echo if i need to cut some brush. man that 20 inch bar looks a lot bigger than it used to. chaps are coming as soon as i get a few extra bucks, maybe today. also realize how careless everyone else is... i stayed away from everybody else all day.

I was cutting with a guy the other day that would force the saw quickly through the small cuts then swing it around like a light sabre for the next cut. I guess he thought he was being quick, but he wasn't being smooth or safe. It's the light sabre swing when the saw is idling back down that will get ya.

And as to cutting spring poles, that will kill ya. That's when you hear about the really bad accidents.

well i went and cut for the first time since i tried to saw my leg off. i will say i cut wood in a totally different way than before... use brake, set saw down, and take time to go get the little echo if i need to cut some brush. man that 20 inch bar looks a lot bigger than it used to. chaps are coming as soon as i get a few extra bucks, maybe today. also realize how careless everyone else is... i stayed away from everybody else all day.

Try explaining what you know to them, lol. Yeah that works:monkey: You usually just get your ass chewed and they go on.

Your right, keeping your distance is the best policy.

My personal favorite is when you are cutting a big tree with more than one person and they go on and on cutting not realizing they are rolling the tree at you and pinching your bar with their cuts.

BTW, the package said that you must wash before putting into service. Is this a mandatory? I was going to buy, wear, work 'em like :censored: and wash when only NECESSARY

What? I never notice that on mine. I never washed them either. Might need to just do that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back