Who's Burning ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i gave in when i got home. house was still 63 degs, just too much of a chill for the wife to really get going.
so the baby and i fired up the stove.
we will clean the flue, fan and stove this weekend. before we go camping in the back yard :D been promising the baby all summer.

she just loves fire, and helping.
which can be a bad thing at times.:D

DSC04286small.jpg

First fire in the woodstove last night, right after I picked the last of the 'maters and some peppers...and BTW I have more greenbeans to pick!...OWB system almost ready, getting the hydrocoil today, finishing the piping under the house early next week (crawl space..yuck!)

Those that fire their OWB's year around to get the benefit of DHW through the warm months...have you done any cost analysis of electric cost of running the pump vs other DHW supply cost?
Just curious...wife is a corporate controller and she come up w/ about a 10 dollar savings running the OWB vs the fuel oil boiler to heat the water. She just compared the cost of electricity running the pump vs oil consumed.
Just some food for thought.

my food for thought is this. i know it knocked 50 bucks off my electric bill a month when i used it to heat my dhw in the summer time. and its not that much work. i suppose if i was really worried about saving a few bucks i wouldn't have bought a computer and paid for internet.

We got our first really hard frost last night it was 27f on my way to work this morning. The house was still ok last night but I got the wood stove all ready to start all it needed was a match. I woke up at 4:30am wrapped up in the blanket and still cold, so I went in the basement and lit her up, it was 73f in the house when I left for work at 6:30am My daughter has been complaining it is too cold in the morning when she gets up for school. They are calling for 26f tonight also.

:clap:

Me too, just taking the chill off for my old Mum who lives with us. Days like today (Rainy and windy) I'll fire up the cookstove for a bit, cook a stew or soup and a crusty bread and chill.

Now you're really starting to get me hungry. A nice homemade stew simmering on top of your wood fired cookstove with fresh bread in the oven. Heaven by any measure.

SOON, The county's Ordinance said its cold enough!

Yes we have a OWB Ordinance covering our burning season. May 15 to Sept 15 is a no burn time. Its fine-able up to I think $100.00 day. Plus they can monitor what you burn. It is plenty cool enough to warrant getting the Hardy cooking, I sure could use a really HOT shower. Maybe next weekend. the Hoosier

Sharpen your chain its a jungle out there!!!!!!!

:clap:

Me too, just taking the chill off for my old Mum who lives with us. Days like today (Rainy and windy), I'll fire up the cookstove for a bit, cook a stew or soup and a crusty bread and chill.
Ain't it good to be back home again... yes it is,
Sometimes this old farm seems like a long lost friend,
Yes, ain't it good to be back home again.

-John Denver

Who could ever forget him? Zodiac, :yourock:

Just started mine yesterday. I now can give the one finger salute to the fuel company. :rock:

Did you come up from Florida? Sorry, I'm jealous, was suppose to get my SHAVER in July. Now, it's suppose to be sent on the 6 th. We'll see.:popcorn:

All you guys are killing me with your fire burning now:cry: !!! It's still a little warm here for much heat other than just to take the chill first thing in the morning.
Would be nice to have it for the hot water though.

LTREES I was suppose to have gotten my Cozeburn 250 sometime around the first OCT. Put a down payment on 26 AUG. called my salesman last week just to check on things told me it was looking more like sometime in DEC now:mad:

Anyone else having to wait this long?

RodneyG

Had to fire up the wood burner. Mercury was dropping to the 40s tonight. Feels darn good - toasty warm.

Yesterday driving back from my camper I came across what I thought was a house fire on St Rt 193. No house fire, just some idiot with a OWB trying to burn just split green blow down wood from Ike. Almost zero visibility on the highway. No wonder they are legislating OWB in Ohio. Burn good dry wood there would be no problems.

yup i had mine going for a little bit too last night. just a couple pieces of pine and a pine 4x4 lol. i went to bed and the wife got home and put a log in the fire. i stumbled outta bed and was like ugh what are you doing its gonna get hot in here now. the log wasnt even hot cuse i picked it outta the stove by hand. threw it on the pile and went back to bed. then when i got up at 4 to go to work it was COLD in the house. i guess my judgement was off a little at the time :) oh well i guess its about that time of year again anyway.

You can add me to the list Rookie1..had the chimney swept about a week ago and started the first burn yesterday. Just wanted to be sure the sweep put everything back together right.
Great idea. Check that chimney.

The last sweep I hired was half-way through the job, cleaning from the bottom up, when he stopped a moment and asked, "Another guy cleaned your chimney last time, right?"

I said, "Yes, I was a little suspect about the job."

He said, "That figures. He never cleaned the top 10 feet of your flue. I'm surprised you had any draft at all last year. There's also traces of a small chimney fire. You can tell by the huge, flakey, deposits I'm pulling out. It's a real mess up there."

To which I replied, :censored:

I had one the other night. Shoulda had one last night but the wife said, "It's not cold enough." She woke up to the house at 62 degrees this morning, and I knew she was cold. The kids kept telling her that dad should have lit the stove last night. We'll see what she says tonight ;)

Mixing green with dry

I got a huge score yesterday of oak, maple and pine from some treeguys I know. I cut the maple up today (It was cut down live yesterday) and tossed a few 8" rounds into the OWB for the heck of it. It really didn't smoke too bad and seemed to burn just fine. This is good to know. A friend who has had a CB for 10 years recommended mixing green wood with dry for longer burn times. I'll let you know how it pans out.:popcorn:

We've had a couple frosty mornins here, still no fire yet. The house gets up to 60 something during the day and around 56-58 at night. Passive solar beats fossil fuel hands down.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back