Who's got the best??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who has got the biggest timber? Who has got the best timber?
I would guess the US or Canada but i have seen some flip flop equipped Cambodians falling HUGE assed hardwoods with 090s and 070s on you tube.

Back in the day PNW Doug Firs were taller than any Redwoods.

I guess the answer to your original question depends on if you mean girth (probably easiest to measure by bd. ft./tree) or height (just in ft, m., whatever...). There are big trees like the Koa that aren't incredibly tall (tall by most standards, but not the tallest), that have a LOT of girth, and then there are Doug Fir and Sitka Spruce that are very tall, but not nearly as heavy as the Koa's.

(youtube)

Cambodia: ILLEGAL LOGGING BY CAMBODIA's ELITE (1of4) [EN&KH]

Here are the cambodians. I tried to figure out there tecniques but havent learned much. It looks like they enjoy match cutting o i dont know.

I would like to drop some of thoes tubie monsters though!!

I cut a chestnut oak out on a cut the other day with a 4' trunk. Surprised me- another cutter and I were talking for a moment across our strips, he said "hey, how big is that stump anyway? By the way you're sitting on it, why, it must be pretty good sized" Used an old 12" wedges flipped it over across the stump ( no tape on me) and surelymeasured to 4'. Solid too. Heavy log right there. I bucked the top off- had a wedge in it, no way I could get that wedge back out, unless I really wanted to bang on it, maybe dislodge the log, while I was way down in that drain. Lost that wedge, maybe the hookers will get it one day. Maybe they'll donate it to the hooktender, for SlowPs benefit.
Pretty good, still solid, for Appalachians.

Who's Got The Best

056kid, are you asking in North America or in the world about who has the best timber ? As to who has the best being either the United States or Canada ? Since the species are basiclly the same in North America, with a few minor exceptions depending on the tree, it narrows the question down to what is it going to be used for, what generation is the standing timber/forest, and how healthy is the standing timber/forest ?

As to who at present has the most amount of a untouched timber/forest, it is the former Soviet Union, Siberia.

Hope this helps with some of your question.

Mike

Last edited:
:) I cruised a 24 inch, 155 foot tall DF today. That's pretty big for nowadays.
:popcorn:

True story. I cut down a Doug Fir the other day that was 40 inch or so. I figured 150 foot tall (the top 1/4 or so was long gone) I slabbed out some benches for the fire pit and the rest was firewood for the winter. It was long since dead and only the top few feet were punky.

There's thousands of old stumps here over 4 feet in diameter, but they're pretty near rotten. Spring board holes etc. The biggest standing live fir out here I've seen can't be much more than 2 feet.

Well i was thinking in terms of the world.

I dont know if anyone has seen the youtube footage of the cambodians but they are cutting some BIG hardwoods. They'r looks reminde me of cherry.
And if they bring what cherry brings they are makin bank!!

When I was in Osaka, Japan I seen boards that were from Africa. They were up to 48" wide and 30' long clear span, no knots. Some were 4" thick. I asked our translator what they would be used for and he said , ,,, hammer handles. I was so impressed with the waste that when I left they gave me a Japanese carpenters hammer to remember it. I was there teaching them how to build houses Canadian style. 2x4 construction we sold a couple hundred houses there until the market collapsed.

I was thinking Africa too, last old growth frontier after South America. I did a brief spell down on the gulf coast and any new Cat skidder I saw low boyed on the highway (I-10) always had a cardboard sign on the grill that said "Brazil" , heading to port, I suppose from their plant in LaGrange, GA Coming from cutting in SE TN where new equipment was all but unheard of, it amused me how all the new stuff was headed down there to the great rainforest.
"There's goes another one honey, look, its going to Brazil" harumph says the wife.

I was thinking Africa too, last old growth frontier after South America. I did a brief spell down on the gulf coast and any new Cat skidder I saw low boyed on the highway (I-10) always had a cardboard sign on the grill that said "Brazil" , heading to port, I suppose from their plant in LaGrange, GA Coming from cutting in SE TN where new equipment was all but unheard of, it amused me how all the new stuff was headed down there to the great rainforest.
"There's goes another one honey, look, its going to Brazil" harumph says the wife.

Uh... Brazil ain't in Africa, its in South America.

perhaps if I had seperated my statements with a new paragraph such a misunderstanding of this obvious point would not have been made. Excellent geography review though, thank you.

Reunite Gonwanaland! Then we'll both be right.

Back