Who's running a Shindaiwa?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been contemplating buying a 757 for a long time and was wondering how the large power pro air cleaner works, I got a 372xp, I have read of their overall quality but that was just one thing I would like to know? Maybe I can add to the growth and popularity, I am also looking at their big EB8520RT, it seems like the beast of backpacks, atleast on paper!

I've got a 488, it's decent, troublefree and good power. I don't find it to be my "go to" saw, but it sees some use here. If I dumped all the 50cc saws and could only keep one, it would be the Husqvarna 55, followed closely by the Echo CS-510, then the Shindaiwa.....Cliff

Several months ago, I did some timed cuts between the Husqvarna 55, Shindaiwa 488, and the Echo CS-510. All three have minor muffler mods, no other mods anyplace.

All three use 18" bars and .325" chains, but the CS-510 was still sporting it's factory POS safety chain, but I ground off all the guards on the links between the cutting teeth.

All three saws are very strong runners, and the tests were conducted several times in the same log. I made 5 cuts with each saw for each test.

The Husquvarna 55 and Echo CS-510 were dead even. The Shindaiwa was 9 seconds behind them on the first test, and 10 seconds behind them on the second test. That's less than 2 seconds difference per cut in a 16" dry Cherry log. Not really much of a difference, and the results could be considered flawed some as all three saws didn't use EXACTLY the same bar and chain.

In any case, the Shindaiwa 488 is a very well built saw, professional quality and features in every area. Not much plastic used on it either. I've got my sights on a 372XP, so the 488 is for sale, as well as a couple other saws to build up the chainsaw fund, PM me if interested?......Cliff

757 here, I bought it to replace my trashed 046 stihl. Good saw for all the more I run it. If I ever went back to fulltime timber cutting I would get another stihl and keep the 757 as a backup. Several years ago I had a 488, loved that saw, but had to let it go to get some $$$. Young and dunb I guess.

We have 2 of them, a 757 and my favorite, a 446S. Performance is there and by the standards I see on this site they are "pro" built. We have a big rack of saws of all brands and the oldest boy uses the 757, or nothing. My only knock with Shindy is the knock I have with any non Stihl saw around here, sketchy at best support. I have only needed one Shindy part so far and it was two days shipped to my door (dealer is 20 miles away) but I wonder about 5 years from now? Somebody asked about the 757 air cleaner. It looks bulky but in operation you dont know it is there. As for working it is the cats meow. The carb throat on our 757 looks like the day we bought it, clean as can be.

Available parts

I've wondered the same thing. With the recent shake up it could be an issue down the road, but so far they've been good at supporting their older products.

575 and 377 The 575 with 16 in bar really chunks firewood

local orange and white dealer almost paid me to get 575 out the door

575 and 377 The 575 with 16 in bar really chunks firewood

local orange and white dealer almost paid me to get 575 out the door

He was probably getting tired of people asking him why the Japanese saw has a cylinder casting that looks like it came out of a Swiss clean room, and the German saw has a cylinder that looks like it was made in a Chinese brothel. (Kind of embarrassing, particularly if he's ever been in a Chinese brothel. Not that I ever have, of course.)

-=[ Grant ]=-

575 is smooth no tophat

S dealer didnt no what he had. saw came with 3 good chains he checked carb , new plug, new sthil chain 1 ben franklin out the door saw was clean only scratchs on bottom

Back