Why are Stihls regarded as the "best"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl is best for me because they keep going no matter what kind of abuse I put them through. They always perform excellent. I like to stick with one flavor to save on and simplify maintenance. We have very good dealer support out here.

There are some other great saws out there and I almost bought one once, but just decided it was best to stick with one brand.

I have Stihl, Dolmar, and Husky.

The ones I have, I really like. I don't see that one of these brands is any better than the other.

All three make some chainsaws I do not care for.

I like the idea of the Stihl heads. I like to try take advantage of their blindness

They are the best for three reasons...

1) They have more metal in the same size package as the competition..therefor weigh a little more per cc
2) They require a few more dollars per cc vs. the competion
3) They do a good job of funding the lift kits for their dealers diesel trucks.

:blob2::msp_biggrin:

Variety is the spice of life baby!! I enjoy owning a little bit of everything and Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Dolmar are my 3 saw plan for firewood cuttin. I simply just dont like Stihl but I think that they are a good saw!! The ones 044 and up that is!!:msp_biggrin:

They were first to market and have the best customer support network. For most, that's more important than the piece of equipment. If you can't operate a flippy cap........ Too heavy? :bang:

I don't quite follow you regarding the customer support network - I guess there are some areas that are better covered than others.

Part prices is one of their weak points, if you care - the strongest one is no doubt marketing! :givebeer:

I don't quite follow you regarding the customer support network - I guess there are some areas that are better covered than others.

Part prices is one of their weak points, if you care - the strongest one is no doubt marketing! :givebeer:

Customer support network around here is definitely in favor of Stihl. Probably only take 15 minutes to drive from stihl dealer to dealer. Husky probably take you an hour for a true repair shop, Dolmar is probably an hour and a half and that is if you can figure out where/who they are.

When I went to buy my 5100s, it took me a while just to find the place. And they didn't really stock anything. :bang:

They are the best for three reasons...

1) They have more metal in the same size package as the competition..therefor weigh a little more per cc. ....

That one is highly questionable, due to the many plastic handlebars - and their worst offenders regarding weight contains very little metal, apart from the engine and crank......:biggrinbounce2:

I drive by 2 stihl dealers on the way to work there is another not fare from me I like both husky and stihl they both. Have pros and cons the nearest husky dealer is way out of my way and its a big box store that doesn't impress me and they don't carry the pro model saws. My 2 cents

Ummm ... punctuation butcher is more like it.

I have both Husky's and Stihl. I have more Stihl dealers in my area probably 5 less than 20 miles,Husky 2 within 10 miles,Dolmar 1 about 5 miles away,and a little family owned hole in the wall looking Jonsered dealer a couple miles away that has 5 saws on the wall but can get any J-Red you want within 2 days and they provide the BEST customer service you will get anywhere around.

Marketing and service support would be my guess, in answer to the Op's original post.
Service and support is weak around here for Stihl. The dealership in town CLOSES for the winter !(and he's a ####) The other is much more interested in his wood milling business, and has all but quit carrying chainsaws.
My cousin runs a Stihl 036 and that saw will not quit. Zero maintenance, puts it away wet and lets it sit for weeks or months and it still starts and runs . Never cleans his air filter, just knocks the crap off it and runs it.
I run Jonsered and Echo saws. Weed eater and leaf blower are Echo. My riding mower is a Toro. All bought at the same dealership. I have no reason to change. JONSERED BUILDS REAL SAWS. You can't buy 'em at Home Depot.

I have cut with guys running the Stihl chainsaws and have seen, in the past, where air filters clogged when mine needed no attention. I have seen and known a couple/few guys needing coils in their Stihls. I owned a 310 not long ago, cut with it a couple times and sent it down the road because it had a smaller gauge chain. ? Why the small gauge on a chainsaw that size ? And I didn't care to do business with the Stihl guy in town.(he's a #### with ears) It seemed to be a decent little saw.

Hell, the Stihl dealership in town won't sell me a friggin' loop of 3/8 chain cause I run a Jonsered chainsaw !! Yeah, I'll be back thru his door in a hurry...another reason I sold the 310. Did i mention he's a #### ? (he must be able to close his doors in the winter because he's makin' his fortunes sellin' MTD built Simplicity mowers to old widow women in the summer)

this should get interesting in 3...2...1....

Stihl is regarded as the best because it is the best. Nuff said. Oh and if you can't figure out how to use the flippy's...well then you might wanna consider another hobby...

oh and before we get started...my truck is better then your truck too... :)

Nicely said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!

Marketing and service support would be my guess, in answer to the Op's original post.
Service and support is weak around here for Stihl. The dealership in town CLOSES for the winter !(and he's a ####) The other is much more interested in his wood milling business, and has all but quit carrying chainsaws.
My cousin runs a Stihl 036 and that saw will not quit. Zero maintenance, puts it away wet and lets it sit for weeks or months and it still starts and runs . Never cleans his air filter, just knocks the crap off it and runs it.
I run Jonsered and Echo saws. Weed eater and leaf blower are Echo. My riding mower is a Toro. All bought at the same dealership. I have no reason to change. JONSERED BUILDS REAL SAWS. You can't buy 'em at Home Depot.

I have cut with guys running the Stihl chainsaws and have seen, in the past, where air filters clogged when mine needed no attention. I have seen and known a couple/few guys needing coils in their Stihls. I owned a 310 not long ago, cut with it a couple times and sent it down the road because it had a smaller gauge chain. ? Why the small gauge on a chainsaw that size ? And I didn't care to do business with the Stihl guy in town.(he's a #### with ears) It seemed to be a decent little saw.

Hell, the Stihl dealership in town won't sell me a friggin' loop of 3/8 chain cause I run a Jonsered chainsaw !! Yeah, I'll be back thru his door in a hurry...another reason I sold the 310. Did i mention he's a #### ? (he must be able to close his doors in the winter because he's makin' his fortunes sellin' MTD built Simplicity mowers to old widow women in the summer)

Now tell us how you really feel about the guy at the Stihl dealer.:popcorn:

I wouldn't say Stihl is the best in everything. As far as chainsaws go, I do prefer Stihl because, I'm sorry I said it, they do seem more robust and I like the way they handle. As far as Stihl's other products, like trimmers, blowers, and clearing saws, I think echo and husky might make those better. As far as professional chainsaws go, I would rank Stihl and Dolmar at the top.

i think there is a lot of companies making good saws,stihl does have a good dealer network they might sell the most which might make them #1,but every saw company has some good saws and some that are crap with their own respective company name on them,including stihl and husky you get what you pay for in most cases,unless you are like some of these lucky guys on here with their ''craigslist treasures'':msp_biggrin:

Back