Why can't I sharpen my chain!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPDISXR4Ti

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I realize this will be a tough question to answer. I'm mostly just looking for some brain-storming assistance. Saw is a Husky 353 with a WoodlandPro 20RC chain that's probably cut 10 cords. Last time out it went dull rather quick; so dull that I couldn't even finish a couple easy cuts. So today I got the Grandberg out and did a rather thorough sharpening. It cut better, but not good, and I was quickly making sawdust and smoke. I gave up after 5 or 6 cuts. I am getting oil to the chain.

Any thoughts? Should I just try a new chain?

These guys have already covered everything except a worn bar groove. It's especially noticeable if you happen to be running that chain on a nk bar.

Pictures would really help. I had a similar issue with a chain last week and was able to find a solution through searching this forum. Lots of information on here about chain sharpening. I though I knew what I was doing till I started reading here...

I'm not great but have learned some things that might be of help. The chain has a plating that is a little like your bicycle wheels or the bumper on your dads car that sometimes peeled off, only thicker.
Look at the cutter from the top and see if this plating is intact all the way to the tip after sharpening. This plating is hard and a file can't make it thinner only remove material below it to the point it breaks away,(no matter what you've heard, you can't get it sharper with a file), it can be honed thinner but that's a different topic.
I personally wouldn't be using the grinder you mentioned but the same applies when it comes to a file...looking at the top of the cutter, the plating has to be intact and level all the way to the point...if it's not you have to have the ability to make it that way before it will cut.
There may be a lot more to learn but that would have helped me more from the start, so I'm paying it forward the best I can.

I've heard this same complaint in sawshops for decades,"No matter how well I sharpen it it just won't cut,bad chain?",it usually is simply a badly worn bar,most times grinding the bar rails true again fixes the problem,no need for a new bar. Sometimes premature or accelerated bar wear is caused by trying to force a dull chain to cut,with the operator putting extra muscle and weight onto the bar and chain. Sometimes some cheap laminated bars are poorly made of soft material and wear rather fast too. Grind the bar first,see if the rails look better and try it with a sharp chain...

If you have a dealer nearby who does a reasonable sharpen take it there when you get it back give it a quick whirl & see if it cuts OK if it does set your jig at the same angles & see next time if you do better The Husky roller sharpening guides work well & also have a height gauge for the rakers

Latest posts

Back