Why can't Remington get any respect??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Followed the threads here for a while.....see the true enthusisits, The Stihl Heads, J-Reds, Pioneers, Husky Fanatics and don't forget the"Homies!":) But few here mention Remington???? Aside from the 754, I've not come across to many who even own them here.
Now this is just my opinion, but I think they have (had),a good line-up in their PL series. Good compact saws that were well balanced for their time, good power to weight ratio. Have lots of jam(at least the ones I've owned). So why do they get no respect??? They have quite a lot in common with the Homelite XL series, enough that lots of parts are interchangeable, but post a Remington question and it falls down the page quicker than a Led Zepplin. Post a Homie question and it gets more hits than a plastic duck at the fair??? Any reason why Remington is unpopular?? Just curious:confused:

:popcorn:

Im 39 from Cleveland Ohio and never heard of them till I became member here.Growing up Homelites were in every hardware store around here. Id like to see some up close though.:)

Im 39 from Cleveland Ohio and never heard of them till I became member here.Growing up Homelites were in every hardware store around here. Id like to see some up close though.:)

Wow, guess the Remington marketing machine ain't what it's cracked up to be. At least in the chainsaw dept. Still see lots of electric saws but the gas division died out a long time back.
I'll hand it to Homelite, they have a diehard following.

I started out with a PL-5 that Dad gave me to get me going. Kinda got hooked. Just really like the way it sounded and it cut well for an old saw(1965). well one thing led to a PL-4, to a SL-9, to a PL-55 and so on. Waiting on a delivery of 2 SL-5 log masters and hoping to get a SL-11 in the near future.

I've got a couple.Respectable saws for their time.
I've got a PL-4 that I get out once in awhile and a Remington Sportsmen Special I still need a few carb parts for.

They're popular with me. My Super 770 rocks - just bring some earplugs. If you think Remingtons are not popular, list a Super 880 or 990 on the classifieds, and see how many replies you get........

I'd like to get a Mighty Mite sometime.
That would give me a 3 saw plan in Rem's.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

They're popular with me. My Super 770 rocks - just bring some earplugs. If you think Remingtons are not popular, list a Super 880 or 990 on the classifieds, and see how many replies you get........

Yeah, the big boys do move. I know that a 754 in good shape does not sit long. Missed a couple now:cry:

Remington Arms got out of the saw market in the early 70's, they sold the division to Desa who disappeared. Decent saws but loud and slow. The new Remington electrics are made off shore and are IMHO a complete waste of money.
Crane is right, the PL series was a shameless copy of the Homey XL1/XL12. The early Mitey-Mites were not that bad but the later plastic bodied units were miserable little beggars to work on.

Why can't Remington get any respect??

Well with what they've made for the last several decades, what you asked is like wondering why hand tools from the Dollar Store aren't as well respected as Snap-on or Mack.

My opinion,

Sam

I love the styling of the Bantam series, few chainsaws have much in the way of elegance. A Super 754 would make a great heritage chainsaw in your collection. The supposed flaws of weight, noise, vibes and lack of chain speed don't really apply, we run vintage chainsaws for fun and to use as a guage to show how far the modern saws have come.
11-04-06007.jpg

11-04-06006.jpg

11-04-06005.jpg

I don't think it's a lack of 'respect', they just weren't that popular. Back in their day, Macs & Homelites seem to have been the saws of choice, leaving Remington with a very small corner of the market. Hence, the lack of saws, parts, etc.

i have a super 754 geardrive, looking for a big old style roller nose bar for it.
I think it is the best looking saw made. it reminds me of my boattail buick.

I love the styling of the Bantam series, few chainsaws have much in the way of elegance. A Super 754 would make a great heritage chainsaw in your collection. The supposed flaws of weight, noise, vibes and lack of chain speed don't really apply, we run vintage chainsaws for fun and to use as a guage to show how far the modern saws have come.
11-04-06007.jpg

11-04-06006.jpg

11-04-06005.jpg

WOW!!!

Thanks alot for making my wish list that much longer.

Latest posts

Back