Why carry the weight of a MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Why carry the weight of a MS290???? had one in for sharpen this morning along with a orange 262 and I said to myself WOW these saws are way too heavy for their size they were within half a pound or so of a PS7900 LOL

Scott

Why carry the weight of a MS290???? had one in for sharpen this morning along with a orange 262 and I said to myself WOW these saws are way too heavy for their size they were within half a pound or so of a PS7900 LOL

Scott

Wonder how Niko got Scott's password? :monkey:

262 outer spike bar

And how come when I removed the bar to resurface it the outer spike bar fell off? Most well engineered saws attach the spike bar to the side cover. :monkey:

Scott

Here's one of my theories. The 290's are targeted at inexperienced users. A lot of people fall into the category of "not too bright." I've heard several comments in such cases about the increased weight being perceived as "ruggedness." If it weighs more, it's going to last longer and perform better, right?

Ha ha. Ridiculous, but that idea is out there. It's the same kind of person who thinks that metal is always better than plastic.

Hey Scott, I was setting my Blue Dolmar 7900 up to ship out and noticed my clutch cover was all metal and very light, imagine that NOT plastic like some member suggested in another thread. :hmm3grin2orange: :cheers: ;)

This was out of the thread talking about the 7900 and 6400's.
I was referring to the clutch covers of the 5100 etc, I don't really know about the 7900 etc, but assumed it was plastic on those as well.

Just stirring in fun ST.

Last edited:
A 290 is heavy,hmm.Well I suppose it is next to a Mini Mac.It's all relative ya know.:biggrinbounce2:

Not sure...but I would almost bet the 290 outsells all dolmars combined here in the US. Maybe dolmar needs to make one or is it the marketing that dolmar needs to work on? ;)

Scott

I will admit I am a Husky guy but I did look at the 290 before purchasing my 359. I know it is a very good saw and extremely popular but the damn thing is like a boat motor! Only my opinion but I will stick with my Husky.

Ms 290

Up until 3 years ago I used hand me down saws, mainly Homelites. When I went to the Farm store they pushed real hard to sell me the 290 Farmboss. I have to admit it felt heavy compared to the Homelite Super EZ I was using. It was the first brand new saw I had ever bought. Compared to the wore out saws I was using the 290 felt like an animal.

I accidentally dropped a tree on that saw and completely smashed it. When I went back to the dealer to buy another I wanted to get the MS 310. I figured they weigh the same and it was only $40 more I will get a little more hp. Once again they were adamant about me buying the 290. The only thing I can think of is the dealer must get some incentive to sell the MS 290.

I'm not bashing Stihl's I really like the saw. But the Farmboss seems to be the heaviest saw with the least amount of hp. It seems like a little bit of a marketing scheme to put some Farmboss decals on what (spec wise) is the least attractive saw.

I would like to try the MS 250. It seems to have a good power to weight ratio. Its only 10lbs and still with in 1hp of the Farmboss. A lot of the old guys I know that cut would seem to like this saw. I would love to hear some feed back on that saw.

Light is expensive if done right. Cheap if done wrong. So, you get a heavy saw, with moderate power, decently built, designed for the occasional user for whom weight really doesn't matter. Easy. That, and the fact that a typical 290 user would cut his leg off with a 7900. It's like tossing the keys to a Ferrari to a 15 year old.

Mark

It's all relative. I'm 6'3", 235 lbs so I don't mind the weight. And if keeping some weight in my wallet means I have to have a heavier saw that I use 20 times a year, then so be it...I use my wallet a lot more! Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to send me a free 7900, feel free, heck I'll even settle for a MS361 if it's your money we're spending. Until then, how about you back off the guys that don't have the extra cash to throw at a hobby?!?!:angry2:

OK so a ms290 has a msrp of $369 wearing a 18" it has 3.8bhp and weight of 13lbs.

In comparison a PS5100 wearing a 3/8"-18" and producing 3.9bhp, hitting the scales at 11.2 lbs has a msrp of $409.00

I do not know what Stihl dealers sell that saw for but you can find a PS5100 in the neighborhood of $375.00 to $395.00

Kind of a no brainer....

Scott

Scott

Are you comparing the boat anchor MS290 to the all mighty and legendary 262xp ? The 262xp is imo still the best 60cc saw ever made. I would take it over a MS361 or 357xp any day of the week. And the weight difference between a 262xp and the ps7900 is quite noticable...

Are you comparing the boat anchor MS290 to the all mighty and legendary 262xp ? The 262xp is imo still the best 60cc saw ever made. I would take it over a MS361 or 357xp any day of the week. And the weight difference between a 262xp and the ps7900 is quite noticable...

Whats the weight of the discontinued 262??
and why do they not attach the outer spike bar to the side cover?

Scott

Scott

The MS290 weights a bit (halv a pound or so) more than advertised, but the 262xp weights as advertised, and more than a full pound (1 1/3) less than the 7900 (and more than halv a pound less than the 290) - bit a big guy like you may not notice the difference.

The 362xp is another story......

Last edited:
OK so a ms290 has a msrp of $369 wearing a 18" it has 3.8bhp and weight of 13lbs.

In comparison a PS5100 wearing a 3/8"-18" and producing 3.9bhp, hitting the scales at 11.2 lbs has a msrp of $409.00

I do not know what Stihl dealers sell that saw for but you can find a PS5100 in the neighborhood of $375.00 to $395.00

Kind of a no brainer....

Scott

Yes it is, but I believe Dolmar has adjusted the bhp number to 3.8, at least on the web-site, which fits better with the kW number...:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

When I went back to the dealer to buy another I wanted to get the MS 310. I figured they weigh the same and it was only $40 more I will get a little more hp. Once again they were adamant about me buying the 290. The only thing I can think of is the dealer must get some incentive to sell the MS 290.
Hey, it's your money. Did you peek in the back room? The dealer probably had a pallet full of 290's to move. Generally speaking, some sales people will sell you what ever they have in the back just to move it and make a sale. It is their job. Knowledge is the key. You do your research before you go into the store. If it is not what you want (providing you know what you want) just walk out the door. Just get the 361 and you will be very happy. :cheers:

Yes, that is definately true - I would even forgive it for the outboard clutch, if I could get my hands on a good one.....:cheers:

Latest posts

Back