Why carry the weight of a MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it isn't - but it does what it was designed for.......:greenchainsaw:

Troll, What the hey.......Sounds like it's a great saw to him.
May not be to a chainsaw God expert like you'r self.
Just like my MS180 is a Great little saw to me.

I see no need to slam anybodies saw's. Unless you know
the person and just having some fun.

Why carry the weight of a MS290???? had one in for sharpen this morning along with a orange 262 and I said to myself WOW these saws are way too heavy for their size they were within half a pound or so of a PS7900 LOL

Scott

Um, the WALLET will be a heck of a lot lighter with the 7900 too... $350 for the 290 vs $680 for the 7900.

I would like to try the MS 250. It seems to have a good power to weight ratio. Its only 10lbs and still with in 1hp of the Farmboss. A lot of the old guys I know that cut would seem to like this saw. I would love to hear some feed back on that saw.

I have an 025 and a 290. No comparison. For about the same money, the 290 is a far better and more powerful saw. 1 Hp is a lot of power in a chainsaw. Do not be fooled by power to weight ratio: there is 25% more power in a 290. The 250 is lighter and good for limbing and small tree felling. The 290 will do a heck of a lot more with a "real" 3/8 bar and chain, and it can really drive a 20 inch bar. The 250 will just not keep up with the 290 on bigger stuff. And the 290 has more metal in it. Compare the chain catchers... plastic in the 250 (part of the sprocket cover, easy to shread, $20) vs aluminum spur on the 290 (holds up, and $2 to replace when it finally goes). The 290 is really built better.

I use them both here and generally, I use the 361 (and 290 as a backup) for felling larger trees and for bucking and firewood splitting. I use the 025 and the 210 for limbing and cutting less than 6 inch trees with. But in the bigger stuff? Using the 250 is a lot more work to try to push it through bigger cuts. For the money, the 290 is a good saw. The 250 is a so-so saw that leaves me wanting.

I am actively looking for a different line of smaller saws for our tree thinning operation here. I have my :eyeball: on the new Dolmar PS-350 and PS-420 to replace the 210 and 025 saws. They seem to be the bullet-proof model that I am looking for in a light weight saw with the same or more power. They are an 8 pound class saw, really light, and they have more metal in the saw. The 361 of limbing saws? I can only hope and wait for February... and of course as the others are saying on this thread, THERE ARE NO DOLMAR DEALERS BETWEEN MEDFORD AND SALEM, OR! That is like, 100 miles from me, either way, north and south on I-5. Within that range there must be at least 30 Husky and Stihl dealers. Heck, there is a combo Husky/Stihl dealer only 5 miles of my house here, and we live in the :censored: boonies out here!

Last edited:
I have an 025 and a 290. No comparison. For about the same money, the 290 is a far better and more powerful saw. 1 Hp is a lot of power in a chainsaw. Do not be fooled by power to weight ratio: there is 25% more power in a 290. The 250 is lighter and good for limbing and small tree felling. The 290 will do a heck of a lot more with a "real" 3/8 bar and chain, and it can really drive a 20 inch bar. The 250 will just not keep up with the 290 on bigger stuff. And the 290 has more metal in it. Compare the chain catchers... plastic in the 250 (part of the sprocket cover, easy to shread, $20) vs aluminum spur on the 290 (holds up, and $2 to replace when it finally goes). The 290 is really built better.

I use them both here and generally, I use the 361 (and 290 as a backup) for felling larger trees and for bucking and firewood splitting. I use the 025 and the 210 for limbing and cutting less than 6 inch trees with. But in the bigger stuff? Using the 250 is a lot more work to try to push it through bigger cuts. For the money, the 290 is a good saw. The 250 is a so-so saw that leaves me wanting.

I am actively looking for a different line of smaller saws for our tree thinning operation here. I have my eye on the new Dolmar PS-350 and PS-420 to replace the 210 and 025 saws. They seem to be the bullet-proof model that I am looking for in a light weight saw with the same or more power. They are an 8 pound class saw, really light, and they have more metal in the saw. The 361 of limbing saws? I can only hope and wait for February... and of course as the others are saying on this thread, THERE ARE NO DOLMAR DEALERS BETWEEN MEDFORD AND SALEM, OR! That is like, 100 miles from me, either way, north and south on I-5. Within that range there must be at least 30 Husky and Stihl dealers. Heck, there is a combo Husky/Stihl dealer only 5 miles of my house here, and we live in the :censored: boonies out here!

If you are in Jefferson there is a place in Salem that has a 6401 in stock along with a ps5100 and some others. I was surprised because of the dolmar dealers I called in Oregon most actually carried stock (although none carried 7900s)
When I get my Blue 7901 on Friday you will be welcome to check it out (I dunno about run it.. hmm we'll see...)

THERE ARE NO DOLMAR DEALERS BETWEEN MEDFORD AND SALEM, OR!

Heck I don't know of any Dolmar dealers between San Fran. and Seattle! However there sure is a good one in NY! It's only 5 days away via UPS.

I haven't even seen a Jonsared or real Husky dealer here in OR. Stihl has this whole PNW market sewn up real tight. Not every small town has a gas station but they almost all have at least one Stihl dealer and Tavern.

Heck I don't know of any Dolmar dealers between San Fran. and Seattle! However there sure is a good one in NY! It's only 5 days away via UPS.

I haven't even seen a Jonsared or real Husky dealer here in OR. Stihl has this whole PNW market sewn up real tight. Not every small town has a gas station but they almost all have at least one Stihl dealer and Tavern.

There are a bunch of Husky dealers around here. In Eugene there is a desicated one, and the Stihl shops in Cottage Grove and Drain are also Husky dealers. Lots of both up around Portland as well. I have yet to see a JonnyRED dealer in these parts though. Or Dolmar... Salem is 100 miles north of me. Medford is 100 miles south. I will have to buy a Dolmar online... or maybe on a trip to Portland if they have any of the ones that I want in stock. I presume I will have to wait until May to get a new 420 in OR...

There are a bunch of Husky dealers around here. In Eugene there is a desicated one, and the Stihl shops in Cottage Grove and Drain are also Husky dealers. Lots of both up around Portland as well. I have yet to see a JonnyRED dealer in these parts though. Or Dolmar... Salem is 100 miles north of me. Medford is 100 miles south. I will have to buy a Dolmar online... or maybe on a trip to Portland if they have any of the ones that I want in stock. I presume I will have to wait until May to get a new 420 in OR...

It sound like you're real close to Myrtlecreek. They have one of the nicest Stihl saw shops I've seen. Almost as nice as Madsens in Centralia, WA.

I am new on this site and own a 12 year old 029 - it runs well and is my first saw. I bought it when I moved from an apartment to a 27 acre property. When I lived on a farm with my parents we had a David Bradley gear drive saw and the 029 seemed like a light and nimble saw in comparison. When I was looking for a saw the two reliable hardware/mower stores carried Stihl. The not so reliable and well know stores carried homeowner grade Mac's and Poulan. Although I had heard of Husky saws - there were no dealers and I considered them to be expensive professional saws - which was something I didn't need. Knowing that I needed a saw just a few times a year the dealer did push the 029 Farm Boss and it seemed like a good deal for $ 299 - the next smaller saw was a little lighter, less powerful and not much cheaper. After spending everything I had buying the new land - a $ 300 saw purchase was a big deal and spending $ 500 on a bigger saw was never an option. I really can't complain about my choice and don't feel that I was taken advantage of as my saw is 12 years old and still runs and cuts great. It has never failed to start, cuts anything that I have ever needed to cut when given a little patience on the big stuff, and is so much lighter than the David Bradley that I grew up with. I am fighting the urge to buy a bigger saw - but I suddenly have about 100 trees to cut and stack as the power company just came and cleared an additonal 25 feet of trees on each side of their right of way. A bigger, faster and smoother saw would be nice - but I have no doubt that my 029 will be able to cut the wood eventually. If I make it through these trees without buying a new saw - the 029 may be the first and last saw I ever own! I am sure I would feel differently if I cut wood for a living and had a saw in my hands every day - but I have never regretted buying and owning this saw.

Dave

I am new on this site and own a 12 year old 029 - it runs well and is my first saw. I bought it when I moved from an apartment to a 27 acre property. When I lived on a farm with my parents we had a David Bradley gear drive saw and the 029 seemed like a light and nimble saw in comparison. When I was looking for a saw the two reliable hardware/mower stores carried Stihl. The not so reliable and well know stores carried homeowner grade Mac's and Poulan. Although I had heard of Husky saws - there were no dealers and I considered them to be expensive professional saws - which was something I didn't need. Knowing that I needed a saw just a few times a year the dealer did push the 029 Farm Boss and it seemed like a good deal for $ 299 - the next smaller saw was a little lighter, less powerful and not much cheaper. After spending everything I had buying the new land - a $ 300 saw purchase was a big deal and spending $ 500 on a bigger saw was never an option. I really can't complain about my choice and don't feel that I was taken advantage of as my saw is 12 years old and still runs and cuts great. It has never failed to start, cuts anything that I have ever needed to cut when given a little patience on the big stuff, and is so much lighter than the David Bradley that I grew up with. I am fighting the urge to buy a bigger saw - but I suddenly have about 100 trees to cut and stack as the power company just came and cleared an additonal 25 feet of trees on each side of their right of way. A bigger, faster and smoother saw would be nice - but I have no doubt that my 029 will be able to cut the wood eventually. If I make it through these trees without buying a new saw - the 029 may be the first and last saw I ever own! I am sure I would feel differently if I cut wood for a living and had a saw in my hands every day - but I have never regretted buying and owning this saw.

Dave

I think that sums it up very well :cheers:

Dave

Great post!

SawTroll, you going to tell him he has an inferior, heavy, homeowner grade, boat anchor of a saw?

Specs away,

Joat

It sound like you're real close to Myrtlecreek. They have one of the nicest Stihl saw shops I've seen. Almost as nice as Madsens in Centralia, WA.

That is the other side of Roseburg from me, but I will have to check out that shop next time I go down there!

Eugene has a slick Stihl dealer. Has every saw, whacker and blower that they make (on the western distribution list, anyway) and 3 or 4 copies of each. They also have all the doo-dads and widgets or Stihls there. The Cottage Grove store is a little more cabin homely and they do not always have all the widgets in stock, but they have the full line of Stihl chainsaws, as well as a good selection of Huskys. They also have over 100 antique chain saws along a high shelf that runs around the sales floor. :cheers:

Last edited:
Ill have to save some up for ice fishing :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Scott

Ice fishing? So you are the guy that sold that guy the Stihl 090 that was listed on Ebay for $2,495?

From the post on Ebay:
"I bought this saw from someone who had used it fo f cutting the ice for ice fishing."

Of course, if you want a heavy saw... the 090 is the boat anchor of boat anchors...

Ice fishing? So you are the guy that sold that guy the Stihl 090 that was listed on Ebay for $2,495?

From the post on Ebay:
"I bought this saw from someone who had used it fo f cutting the ice for ice fishing."

Of course, if you want a heavy saw... the 090 is the boat anchor of boat anchors...

I've used a chainsaw to cut my spearholes through the ice many of times, but I didn't use an 090 ;).

Find the time? that would't have anything to do with that cute little one in your Avatar would it?
:hmm3grin2orange:

It sure would! :D She was 3 months old Nov.13, and she's startin' to sit up by herself and she'll even stand for a little bit when we hold her arms...I better make time to get that saw built cause it won't be long before I'll be chasin' her around the house :dizzy: .

Kevin

Dave

Great post, nicely put.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back