Why did my splitter puke oil??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am confused.....I have a homemade splitter with 8hp engine, 16gpm pump, 5 gallon reservoir. My buddy wants to borrow it, I say no problem. I start it in my garage, runs good, show him operation and off he goes. Following morning, he states he starts it up, first thing it does without touching the control valve is burp about 1/2 gallon milky hydro fluid all over out of filler neck???? I just looked in tank night before swear it was clean fluid, for sure not overflowing by any means at my place. That evening it turned cold, but no rain or snow to speak of ? No clue........

Could be he added oil to the splitter tank that is not actually hydraulic oil. That happened to me awhile back when a friend added what he thought was hydraulic oil. Foaming oil started leaking right out of the lid. At least a quart has come foaming out. Occasionaly it still burps it out as if it had indigestion.

Any chance he towed it down a bumpy road and got it aired up and foamy a little? Still shouldn't be real white but with air certain oils might look white.

Has to be something to do with this. Unless he did something he's not telling you about.

Now that I think about it, he did tow it about 15 miles on gravel roads, and is splitting in woods, so he may have pulled the sucking hose loose as well an well as agitate the oil......I will ask him now how it is doing? thanks for responses!!!

Bruce

On a cold day, when I start my splitter and rev it up, it will push a little oil out the filler.

IF, I let the oil warm up a little, it never happens.

SR

Also if it is a suction leak issue it should take extended run time to build up enough foam to cause it to puke oil. I don't think that would cause it to puke at start up.

An air leak in the suction side of the pump will cause the fluid to all most immediately foam and erupt from the tank vent. I had it happen, it looked like a 2 liter bottle of root beer erupting that had been shaken before opening.
After cleaning up the mess on the splitter and driveway. I tightened the hose clamps on the suction hose and the foaming stopped.

An air leak in the suction side of the pump will cause the fluid to all most immediately foam and erupt from the tank vent. I had it happen, it looked like a 2 liter bottle of root beer erupting that had been shaken before opening.
After cleaning up the mess on the splitter and driveway. I tightened the hose clamps on the suction hose and the foaming stopped.

My guess is it would take some run time for foam to build up with a suction air leak. It has to cycle at least once for the foamy oil to get back to the res, before it can come out the vent tube. I can't say it's ever happened to me but that would be my guess.

My guess is it would take some run time for foam to build up with a suction air leak. It has to cycle at least once for the foamy oil to get back to the res, before it can come out the vent tube. I can't say it's ever happened to me but that would be my guess.

Pump to valve to tank isn't a long trip.

Back