Why do so many slam the MS290 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravely_todd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been here for a while and have done a lot of reading and not much posting. Anyway, I have read a lot of slamming of the MS290, and I don't really know why. I have a 290 with a 20" bar and have really been happy with it. I mostly have been cutting oak, maple, locust, cherry, and recently cut up a walnut tree that fell over. I am a landowner, not a professional, and althought the saw doesn't get used every day for hours, it gets it fair share of use and I have had no problems and I feel it has plenty of power for the kind of wood I cut. So far this year I have cut up about 10 cord or firewood and done a lot of clearing and cleanup around the property. I really do enjoy this site and have gotten a lot of information from it and a few laughs too. :clap:

Todd

Last edited:
I have been here for a while and have done a lot of reading and not much posting. Anyway, I have read a lot of slamming of the MS290, and I don't really know why. I have a 290 with a 20" bar and have really been happy with it. I mostly have been cutting oak, maple, locust, cherry, and recently cut up a walnut tree that fell over. I am a landowner, not a professional, and althought the saw doesn't get used every day for hours, it gets it fair share of use and I have had no problems and I feel it has plenty of power for the kind of wood I cut. So far this year I have cut up about 10 cord or firewood and done a lot of clearing and cleanup around the property. I really do enjoy this site and have gotten a lot of information from it and a few laughs too. :clap:

Todd

It is a good saw, run it and be happy. I had one and liked it, sold it to a guy who need to cut wood and his saw was craped out. He is now very happy with it.

Thanks guys, I feel better now. I really like my 290 and I also have a Remington SL10A for small jobs I have. The only thing I don't like is having to take 2 gas cans with me as the fuel mix is different between the two saws... :mad:

Todd

I loved my 029. I am also just a landowner wood burner but that freaking saw was better than my 026 in my eyes. It just ran like a beast. It never let me down.:popcorn:

I have one and liked it. Mine got straight gassed and hurt the jug pretty bad so it's still on the bench waiting for a used one. It's cheaper to buy a whole new saw than a jug. I only had that saw until early spring and it cut a bunch of wood in it's time.

Thanks guys, I feel better now. I really like my 290 and I also have a Remington SL10A for small jobs I have. The only thing I don't like is having to take 2 gas cans with me as the fuel mix is different between the two saws... :mad:

Todd

I think you could run the same mix in both saws. Use your Stihl mix in th Remington. The Remington is old skool when there was motor used for mix. Todays 2cycle oil is far superior to motor oil. Lots of members here run 40 to 1 or 50 to 1 in their old saws with no problem. I just picked up a SL11 and plan on running my Stihl mix in it.:greenchainsaw:

Never had a 290 but as far as this site I've learned a lot. Mostly positive but, the other side of hanging out here is expensive. When I discovered this site I had a little Poulan wood shark and an 038 Super. Been here for a little while and added an MS 210 as a limbing saw, an 031 just because and an MS361 as my new firewood saw. So beware grasshopper, hanging out here will cost ya! :)

Never had a 290 but as far as this site I've learned a lot. Mostly positive but, the other side of hanging out here is expensive. When I discovered this site I had a little Poulan wood shark and an 038 Super. Been here for a little while and added an MS 210 as a limbing saw, an 031 just because and an MS361 as my new firewood saw. So beware grasshopper, hanging out here will cost ya! :)

:agree2: I started with a hand me down homelite super ez.

Todd
I know what you mean, all I had when I started out was a 610 mac, I thought it was the greatest saw ever made for years, until I started hanging around this site. They bash a 610 about like a 290!

clean that 290 fer pic

one saw ,came here now 7 ops ment 8 .its still the cheapest addiction i ever had.:greenchainsaw:

had none...came here, have four, a pretty decent set of climbing gear and a sawmill...this place is more catching than pig flu...

you know what, i think id buy thge 290/310 0ver the 361, possibly even the 270.

all three of these will work right along side the 361 and after saveing a few dollars.

I HATE clamshell construction, and on the MS290, I dont feel that it reflects on the price as it should. Granted it's not MS361 price, but it's still over $400 with tax here. Too much for any clamshell design IMHO. That said, it is supposedly one tough old bird, and is there #1 seller for some reason.

My friend is happy w/ his 290. I have a 390, another saw that gets made fun of on this site.
I don't worry about it though. I figure the guys that make fun of my 390 have enormous man breasts and they lash out because of their shame and anger. I'd love to watch them jog in slow motion though.

Back