Why I will never buy Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We Irish can look after ourselves, you know, Joatmon - besides, I can always call on Scotclayshooter to back me up from over the water - I hear he's great at blowing hollow, fragile things to pieces... like heads, for example.:chainsaw:

PI,

Thanks for the warning. Ole SCS would probably wrap trimmer line around my neck with that hot-rod FS250. Bet he wouldn't waste his ammo on ole Joat.

I will try to distract you boys with a little whisky.

Works every time,

Joat

We Irish can look after ourselves, you know, Joatmon - besides, I can always call on Scotclayshooter to back me up from over the water - I hear he's great at blowing hollow, fragile things to pieces... like heads, for example.:chainsaw:

A shotgun's range is rather limited........ didja know that? :greenchainsaw:

Betcha didn't.......:)

I......I........I....... am completely cross eyed from reading all 20 some pages of this thread!:dizzy:

I wanted to jump in here way earlier but I decided to read it all the way to the end before I made any judgment. FPC310? What does that stand for?
12 hour days 6 days a week, buys all of his parts and supplies from the same dealer he bought the saw from (all the time) but can't find time to take the saw to them for repair? He's been around 2-strokes forever and Stihls for at least a decade? Can't seem to get the "bad" dealer to fix his saw, calls "Bryan" and he will take care of it but low and behold can't make that happen either? Next thing you know he is taking a half day off from Flying? Takes the saw to his "good" dealer and ends up BUYING a new saw the same day after saying he'll never buy another stihl? He is a saint when it comes to his actions and conduct at the dealer and no way did he ever make a mistake with fuel? I am on Fish's band wagon! I want to know the whole truth! Buddy and I burnt up his 066 a while back and like Thall and others have said it took all of 10 minutes to see the damage! Heck it only took 15 to take the jug off to see all of the damage! How can anyone by into FPC's story! He is making himself out to be to much in the right and back peddling all the time! Maybe I am wrong but there seem to be too many holes in it all for me!

:chainsaw:

I think somebody has posted this earlier.... (Paul Harvey) ...and now the rest of the story....... FPC?

he says it blew up in 15 minutes. then he says it lasted through 1.5 tanks of gas. either he has his facts screwed up or a 390 uses a heck of a lot more gas than a 310.

the part about the 1in of gas from last year is the giveaway.

310- keep us up-to-date on both of these stories. i am believing you, but i am doubting this Yahoo story. maybe you could direct him over here so that this jury can leap to judgement ( i mean give him a fair airing of his grievence.)

Stihl sawz sux:clap:

Fred,

Well, that settles it. We've been hashing this Stihl vs. Husqvarna vs. Jonsered vs. Dolmar vs. Echo vs. RedMax vs. etc., etc., etc. for years here at AS.

That settles it. You have answered the question that is the object of our endless quest.

Now, we may all go home and commence cutting wood and have nary a need to stop in at AS again.

You make it sound so simple,

Joat

Fred,

Well, that settles it. We've been hashing this Stihl vs. Husqvarna vs. Jonsered vs. Dolmar vs. Echo vs. RedMax vs. etc., etc., etc. for years here at AS.

That settles it. You have answered the question that is the object of our endless quest.

Now, we may all go home and commence cutting wood and have nary a need to stop in at AS again.

Joat
Gosh, I wish it were that simple. I do have to agree with the going home to cut wood though. (Sans Stihl!:)) isn't this fun!?!

I......I........I....... am completely cross eyed from reading all 20 some pages of this thread!:dizzy:

I wanted to jump in here way earlier but I decided to read it all the way to the end before I made any judgment. FPC310? What does that stand for?
12 hour days 6 days a week, buys all of his parts and supplies from the same dealer he bought the saw from (all the time) but can't find time to take the saw to them for repair? He's been around 2-strokes forever and Stihls for at least a decade? Can't seem to get the "bad" dealer to fix his saw, calls "Bryan" and he will take care of it but low and behold can't make that happen either? Next thing you know he is taking a half day off from Flying? Takes the saw to his "good" dealer and ends up BUYING a new saw the same day after saying he'll never buy another stihl? He is a saint when it comes to his actions and conduct at the dealer and no way did he ever make a mistake with fuel? I am on Fish's band wagon! I want to know the whole truth! Buddy and I burnt up his 066 a while back and like Thall and others have said it took all of 10 minutes to see the damage! Heck it only took 15 to take the jug off to see all of the damage! How can anyone by into FPC's story! He is making himself out to be to much in the right and back peddling all the time! Maybe I am wrong but there seem to be too many holes in it all for me!

:chainsaw:

I think somebody has posted this earlier.... (Paul Harvey) ...and now the rest of the story....... FPC?

Not that it should matter, but here's the skinny if you are really dying to know my business. The short story is that I picked up a second and third job recently to cover some lost income. I haven't flown an airplane in 2 years due to the rising costs. I heat my house with wood to, once again, reduce expenses. So... free time is hard to find in between 94 hours of work MINIMUM between 3 jobs, plus long commutes in traffic, on top of other unforeseen delays. I thought I was OK to go anywhere that had a Stihl sign. I mean, the website even says:
"The STIHL dealer network is trained to handle problems arising with the operation of your STIHL product. If you need assistance in finding your NEAREST dealer, use the dealer locator, or see the Yellow Pages under "saws", or "lawn and garden"."
I took it to the closest dealer to my job since that is the only place I had access to during open hours. My experience would NOW tell me to go back where I bought it regardless of the inconvenience.

So, make as many blind assumptions as you wish my friend. If the saw was out of warranty, I would've kept it and taken the carb and muffler off to show everyone what is there. There is obviously little I can do when they have the saw and work on their own timeline.

Having to buy a new saw sucks in more ways than one. I really can't afford it, but I need something that works. It's not something that just sits in my garage to make me look cool. That's why I bought a Stihl in the first place. This second purchase, under the circumstances, is a gift to Stihl at this point.

I am not trying to make "assumptions" but there are alot of holes in all of your posts. If you hated Stihl so much then why the "gift"? I think they could survive without your charity... since you say you needed extra money but can afford to buy another "POS." Just can't quite get a grip on where you are coming from.

What saw did you have before, for nearly a decade that you loved enough to make the purchase to begin with?

Oh and my saw does not just sit in my garage to make me look cool. I cut firewood to heat my home and thats about it. I wish I could cut way more than I do right now but that is not the case. :chainsaw:

I am not trying to make "assumptions" but there are alot of holes in all of your posts. If you hated Stihl so much then why the "gift"? I think they could survive without your charity... since you say you needed extra money but can afford to buy another "POS." Just can't quite get a grip on where you are coming from.

What saw did you have before, for nearly a decade that you loved enough to make the purchase to begin with?

Oh and my saw does not just sit in my garage to make me look cool. I cut firewood to heat my home and thats about it. I wish I could cut way more than I do right now but that is not the case. :chainsaw:

The 290 was the first Stihl chainsaw that I owned personally. We've used Stihl brands at my job(s) and that's where I have my experience with them. Granted, most of the Stihl equipment I've used before was before a lot of the EPA crap. Maybe that is the big difference.

We could go back and forth all day on why I ended up with the 361. Like I said before, I am not happy about it. The 290 was doing the job for me before it quit. The alternative was to blindly buy a Husqvarna that I know nothing about. I know nothing of their saws and even less about their dealers / servicers. I am well aware they don't need my charity. I am sure GM didn't need my charity either until more and more people started buying other brands. Life comes at you fast :). Customer confidence and repeat business is kind of important to anyone who sells a product, right? Dealers won't buy more unless people like you and me move them off the shelf.

Fish where'd da hell are ya, time you get in here and straighten out these guys. Let me know which one needs torching, I'll be back later, gotta go meet Space in the hallway,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Not that it should matter, but here's the skinny if you are really dying to know my business. The short story is that I picked up a second and third job recently to cover some lost income. I haven't flown an airplane in 2 years due to the rising costs. I heat my house with wood to, once again, reduce expenses. So... free time is hard to find in between 94 hours of work MINIMUM between 3 jobs, plus long commutes in traffic, on top of other unforeseen delays. I thought I was OK to go anywhere that had a Stihl sign. I mean, the website even says: I took it to the closest dealer to my job since that is the only place I had access to during open hours. My experience would NOW tell me to go back where I bought it regardless of the inconvenience.

So, make as many blind assumptions as you wish my friend. If the saw was out of warranty, I would've kept it and taken the carb and muffler off to show everyone what is there. There is obviously little I can do when they have the saw and work on their own timeline.

Having to buy a new saw sucks in more ways than one. I really can't afford it, but I need something that works. It's not something that just sits in my garage to make me look cool. That's why I bought a Stihl in the first place. This second purchase, under the circumstances, is a gift to Stihl at this point.

You are the one bringing "your business" to the internet, which is fine. So you must expect some opinions that may displease you.

I just don't hop on anyone's side without anything to go on, the other side's
version of this story would be much different, if we heard it here.
Without any data, all we have to go on is from what you have said.

So if you have some large holes in your story, that throws up some big flags
with us, like:

If you actually work 94 hours a week, you seem to be on this site about
30 hours this week alone, if not more. Don't you sleep?

Fred,

Joat

Joat, ya fergot Homelite, Ryobi, Crapsman, "Power Horse," Efco, Olympik, Remington, and even Ford! LOL
But it is good to have the issue settled once and for all. Tough to know that my favorite saw line sux, though.:cry: Oh well. I'l just toss all those Stihls in the trash, and run out and git me uh "Power Horse.":dizzy: I hear tell they take performance "to another level..." gee, I hope it's up and not down... :greenchainsaw:

Go get a pic of that piston! Your dealer couldn't spare 30 sec when you dropped it off?

Not that it should matter, but here's the skinny if you are really dying to know my business. The short story is that I picked up a second and third job recently to cover some lost income. I haven't flown an airplane in 2 years due to the rising costs. I heat my house with wood to, once again, reduce expenses. So... free time is hard to find in between 94 hours of work MINIMUM between 3 jobs, plus long commutes in traffic, on top of other unforeseen delays. I thought I was OK to go anywhere that had a Stihl sign. I mean, the website even says: I took it to the closest dealer to my job since that is the only place I had access to during open hours. My experience would NOW tell me to go back where I bought it regardless of the inconvenience.

You should have had no trouble taking the saw to the nearest dealer, just like the website says. I can understand the sentiment behind your original post, given what you said that dealer told you. I would have had a fit. I think it is good you ended up with a 361. That saw will last as long as you want it to. If it turns out you do not get proper relief on the 290, you can likely get most of your money out of it by taking it apart and selling the parts on eBay. I don't know why, but the 290 is extremely highly valued on ebay. (of course you'd be competing with some people who've posted on this thread, but this is in some respects stihl a free country.......

As far as all the conflict arising here, I wonder if some of us have had our Midol today...........:dizzy: Whatever. My gosh, the guy posts with a story very relevant to AS, and it turns into a great thread, and some of you are acting like it is a personal vendetta or something. Take some Midol and try to keep it constructive. Please. or at least keep it funny...... if some people would laugh more, they wouldn't need the Midol.

Good luck getting relief on the 290. Hope you post the results of this little drama.

No fear, I'm sending Plant the hot blonde we keep in the back for those that help with the sales. Though she's only 89 yrs old she still jumps at any chance she can to help those that help us,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

She wouldn't be related would she Tommy? I don't want you to have to call me "dad".

Latest posts

Back