Why is the MS210 such a poor performer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davefr said:
There's no way I'd pay extra for a MS210 over the MS180 because the MS180 is a better saw IMHO!!!

My 81 year-old grandmother would disagree with you. Last year she wanted a saw so first I got her one of the electric Stihls (I was working at a Stihl dealership as a technician at the time). Well the electric saw had too much torque and would almost twist itself out of her hands. So then we tried the EZ-2-Start MS-180, but that didn't quite have enough power for her. So we upgraded to the EZ-2-Start MS-210, and she think it's perfect. She's 81 and this is the first new chainsaw she's ever had. She's had dozens of used hand-me-down saws, including a Husky 380 that she was cutting with in the 70's.

My 81 year-old grandmother would disagree with you. Last year she wanted a saw so first I got her one of the electric Stihls (I was working at a Stihl dealership as a technician at the time). Well the electric saw had too much torque and would almost twist itself out of her hands. So then we tried the EZ-2-Start MS-180, but that didn't quite have enough power for her. So we upgraded to the EZ-2-Start MS-210, and she think it's perfect. She's 81 and this is the first new chainsaw she's ever had. She's had dozens of used hand-me-down saws, including a Husky 380 that she was cutting with in the 70's.

Wow you got one bad a$$ Grandma. I hope Im cutting at 81.:cheers:

Yes, I just bought the biggest turkey in the Stihl lineup (210), and it's about to become obsolete as well... :cry:

Just use the saw and enjoy it. It is a Stihl, so it will last. My old 009 (the smallest Stihl at the time, I think) I have had for 14 or so years, used it quite a bit, never maintained it till last year, put a new bar, chain, sprocket, air filter and spark plug in it, and it stihl works great! If you want a bigger saw, go buy one. It is good to have more than one, even for occasional cutting.

(Note the rationalization for early-onset CAD! Shhhhhhh.)

Yes, I just bought the biggest turkey in the Stihl lineup (210), and it's about to become obsolete as well... :cry:

There will be nothing wrong with that saw... use it, maintain it well, and it will last for years...

If you want something to impressthe neigbors... get an MS460. Until then... this little saw will serve it's purpose well.

Gary

"Why is the ms210 such a poor performer?"

They're not, I used an 021 for thinning a few hectares of regen forest, also for pruning trees, up a tree they're pretty uncomfortable and unweildy but they're the best you can do with a rear handle saw, on the ground they're good, so light, a breeze to carry around, they match 200T's for cutting speed once you wind up the motor and get it revving to the max for wrist thick branches it's perfect, they run on the smell of an oily rag, you can use them for low rev cutting unlike a 200T which is basically an on/off switch, 023's and 026's are bigger and heavier again

I agree with Brages. I bought a 210 when i thought my 024Super had crapped out. Once the 024 was up & running again, i just don't use the 210 anymore....there is just no comparison. I guess i'll trade it someday for another saw that i think i need.

RD

Last edited:
"Why is the ms210 such a poor performer?"

They're not, I used an 021 for thinning a few hectares of regen forest, also for pruning trees, up a tree they're pretty uncomfortable and unweildy but they're the best you can do with a rear handle saw, on the ground they're good, so light, a breeze to carry around, they match 200T's for cutting speed once you wind up the motor and get it revving to the max for wrist thick branches it's perfect, they run on the smell of an oily rag, you can use them for low rev cutting unlike a 200T which is basically an on/off switch, 023's and 026's are bigger and heavier again

I disagree there! I ran a 210 the other day, I could make three cuts with my 200t in the same time I made one with the 210!
I was majorly dissapointed with it.

I disagree there! I ran a 210 the other day, I could make three cuts with my 200t in the same time I made one with the 210!
I was majorly dissapointed with it.

Not to be a smartazz, but I've got an 021 and it cuts pretty darn good with a sharp chain. Maybe try to sharpen your chain if you can make 3 to 1 cuts with a 200T vs. a 210... I know, you had a sharp chain... So, basically you're exagerating more than a bit, because there's no way a 200t would outcut a 210/021 3 to 1...

Oh, nevermind, this explains it. "Pay me no mind I'm Obviously drunk!"

Last edited:
I guess the extra 0.1 hp in the 200t makes all the difference... :confused:

I'm not saying the 210 is a rotten saw, it just seems to be lagging behind the rest of the line in power for its weight and displacement, and priced kind of steep for being so power-shy. If the 210 were priced at $240 or $250 instead of $270, I think it would make more sense.

On paper, the new 211 seems to address the shortcomings of the 210... appropriate power for a 35cc and a tad less weight, if the figures are right. :clap: Plus, a lot smoother, according to the vibration tests.

The slightly detuned nature of the 210 means it should respond well to mods, right? :chainsaw:

Brages, did you ever get rid of the safety chain......that will make a huge difference.

RD

I'm going to stick with the safety chain until I get more experience.

Not to be a smartazz, but I've got an 021 and it cuts pretty darn good with a sharp chain. Maybe try to sharpen your chain if you can make 3 to 1 cuts with a 200T vs. a 210... I know, you had a sharp chain... So, basically you're exagerating more than a bit, because there's no way a 200t would outcut a 210/021 3 to 1...

Oh, nevermind, this explains it. "Pay me no mind I'm Obviously drunk!"

Yeah, thats it:monkey:

The chain on the 210 wasn't the sharpest, but the 200t had just dropped a decent sized Elm, so.......

The saw just seemed gutless to me, maybe it wasn't broken in, I don't know. But I have seen a stock 200t (not even mine) keep up with a 346xp, so..............

Those of you that have not run a 200 wont understand, but it really is a hotrod of a saw!

I picked up the 210 for my wife to limb with and to clean up around the house. I have used the saw several times and am pretty impressed with it. For us, an extra $50 got a saw with more power that would turn a 16" bar at no added weight over the 180 cbe. She did not want the added weight or price of the 230 or 250. Seemed like a no brainer to me. We must be crazy..... but happy. The 200 was our first choice until I saw the price.

Back