Why it's good to know tree ID.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all of you. The App is the only thing that won't work for me, as I still have a dumb phone.

Don't feel bad, that app's been out for a year and a half or so, and still no Android version, so the majority of smartphone users can't use it either.

Edit: Hinerman, you're in the heart of Hedge Apple/Osage Orange/Bois d'Arc/Bodark, whatever it's called locally, country. Top shelf stuff for sure, and you can stack it away literally for years without worrying about bugs or rot. It would for sure pay to be able to spot 'em.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience, but with one of my best friends. He's about the biggest dumpster diver, super scrounger you have ever seen. He got us hooked up on a power line clearing job. I had my Dodge with my 8' dump trailer and he had my little half cord trailer with his Ranger PU. The first logs were big Poplars and I had to cut a hole to get back to the other wood. He started loading the Poplar on my trailer and I told "do not put that on my trailer". I thought he was going to cry rolling those big rounds out of the way. He kept saying it was good wood, we couldn't leave it! Wanna bet. Behind it was several arrow straight White Oaks. I had to use my Homelite 1050 with the 36" bar, the 24" bar was too short. As we got up into the top wood where there were knots and forks he started crying again when I told him to throw them aside. I told him, we were first, we get to cherry pick, leave the lesser wood for the next guy. We quartered the the big stuff and loaded the rest whole. I got a good cord and a half and he got about 3/4 of a cord of Fiskers candy White Oak. He still has that, if it's free we have to take it all, mentality. I tell him fine, but were taking the best first, and if we need more we can come back. He doesn't argue with me anymore. I'm the one with all of the equipment, Joe.

Don't feel bad, that app's been out for a year and a half or so, and still no Android version, so the majority of smartphone users can't use it either.

Edit: Hinerman, you're in the heart of Hedge Apple/Osage Orange/Bois d'Arc/Bodark, whatever it's called locally, country. Top shelf stuff for sure, and you can stack it away literally for years without worrying about bugs or rot. It would for sure pay to be able to spot 'em.

You got my attention. Thank you for your input.

I just looked up the Hedgeapple tree. Holy cow, you weren't kidding. Dried hedge is the highest in rot resistance without additives; and, highest in BTUs when used as firewood. It is the closest to a piece of coal as you can get!!!!!

And I thought it was a junk tree. I am one of the dummies in the OP.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a good fieldbook, check out "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees". There's an Eastern region and western region edition. I have two and keep one in the truck at all times. Even though I'm quite familiar with trees in my region, I can't believe how many times it comes out.

If you're looking for a good fieldbook, check out "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees". There's an Eastern region and western region edition. I have two and keep one in the truck at all times. Even though I'm quite familiar with trees in my region, I can't believe how many times it comes out.

+1

Great guides. Lots of photographs.

Dan thanks for not educating the two guys about wood species and let them think they got the best of you. The first thing most of us here would have done is zero'd in on the Shagbark since it's easy to spot from a hundred yards away.

Hinerman it will take years to be able to rattle off all the species in the woods & those Audubon books are fantastic. My place is a hundred ac of mixed hardwoods and I am still stumped(pun intended) quite often. Sometimes they can fool you, especially in the winter when you only have the bark to go by. The good thing is it all burns if you can fit it through the stove door:msp_thumbup:

You got my attention. Thank you for your input.

I just looked up the Hedgeapple tree. Holy cow, you weren't kidding. Dried hedge is the highest in rot resistance without additives; and, highest in BTUs when used as firewood. It is the closest to a piece of coal as you can get!!!!!

And I thought it was a junk tree. I am one of the dummies in the OP.

You cut some of it a couple weeks ago!!!
That were the yellow dust all over your 460...
:msp_sneaky:

If there's ever a question, just text me a pic of said tree...
But I really like the chimney sweeps guide to BTU.
It'll have the varieties common in your area...

"Where there is a will, there is a way" If you desire to learn your trees, you will learn. Make it a point during the seasons to ID some local trees with and without leaves. Talk to some local woodcutters or others who cut and burn their own wood and you will learn a little more each year. Make yourself a firewood binder with BTU charts and info on any local species that are good to excellent firewoods. Then learn to ID them first. Have fun and happy gathering.

A few years back when I was having to buy my firewood instead of cutting myself I ordered some from a guy that advertised in the paper. I ordered hedge and ash. The dummy brought me hedge and hackberry.

It's not a crime to not know all the different types of wood. Unless you're selling it that is....

Wonder how many people bought it and didn't know the difference.

I do cut and burn a lot of hackberry because there's a lot of it around here. But it's certainly not Ash...

A few years back when I was having to buy my firewood instead of cutting myself I ordered some from a guy that advertised in the paper. I ordered hedge and ash. The dummy brought me hedge and hackberry.

It's not a crime to not know all the different types of wood. Unless you're selling it that is....

Wonder how many people bought it and didn't know the difference.

I do cut and burn a lot of hackberry because there's a lot of it around here. But it's certainly not Ash...

I have found Hackberry to be very similar to Ash when dry...
If either is less than 6 months old after being split and stacked, I'd take the Ash... Hackberry has a much higher moisture content when green than Ash , and must season well to burn correctly...
The BTU rating is not that far off between the 2 IIRC...
Neither likes to be stored outside very well.

Welcome to AS John in KS...:rock:

You cut some of it a couple weeks ago!!!
That were the yellow dust all over your 460...
:msp_sneaky:

If there's ever a question, just text me a pic of said tree...
But I really like the chimney sweeps guide to BTU.
It'll have the varieties common in your area...

No kidding. I remember you saying it was "hedge" and very hard. I did not put 2 & 2 together. In fact, my son has a hedge cookie thanks to you. Gonna tack a pic of he and I on it with our Hedgefest name tags. Thanks for the willingness to help.

Kick that 038 to the curb / throw in a 441C-M / and you're marryin' material...
:msp_scared:

Let me fix that for you :hmm3grin2orange:

No kidding. I remember you saying it was "hedge" and very hard. I did not put 2 & 2 together. In fact, my son has a hedge cookie thanks to you. Gonna tack a pic of he and I on it with our Hedgefest name tags. Thanks for the willingness to help.

Let me fix that for you :hmm3grin2orange:

We'll turn you to the husky orange side yet...
Er.. Dolmar orange and black... :msp_sneaky:

Back