Why no gas to carb? MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roccus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guess I need some help here please.... I rebuilt the carb for my 260 it is a WTE 64B I have gas going in the fuel line to the carb in fact when I pulled the line off the carb it was pressurized but gas does not seem to be going into the carb gas is coming out the vent cap on top of the gas tank so I thought maybe something wrong with the carb... I have a brand new OEM WT 194 carb here never been used so I put that on and same deal gas going up the fuel line to the carb but does not seem to be going into the carb and gas pumping out the vent cap on the gas tank after pulling the starter so many times the plug should be soaked but it is bone dry... anyone know whats going on here and how to fix it?? thanks

Take the air filter off, then stick a finger in the carb to block off the airflow. then give it a yank or two. If it pops or starts, then your choke is not closing correctly for what ever reason. If it's aftermarket, then I'd say that's what the issue is. -or a worn lever.
If still no fuel, then replace the fuel filter.

Choke is working good and I don't think it's air in the line as gas is getting up the line to the carb... can both carbs be air locked or something is there a way to prime the carb??

Sounds like you have two unrelated problems...

1. The tank vent is leaking. These should allow air in the tank but no gas out. Yes, the tank should pressurize slightly such that pulling the fuel line off the cab will likely spray all over... either drain the tank or turn the saw over and loosen the gas cap.

2. No fuel out of the carb (with a brand new carb) is likely a leaking impulse hose or crankcase leak. The impulse runs the fuel pump in the carb... without it no fuel goes through. Look for a bad impulse hose first and then do a pressure/vacuum test on the whole crankcase and associated rubber bits.

Oh yea gas sprayed all over the place when I pulled the fuel line off the carb I know the impulse line is good don't have a pressure tester.... so how does pressure build in the in the gas tank?

The fuel pump that is driven by the impulse hose only makes fuel available at the needle.
The metering diaphragm opens the needle upon drop in pressure in the carburetor venturi in relation to atmospheric pressure.
Most saws will choke and start without impulse signal, they just run a little and die.

Oh yea gas sprayed all over the place when I pulled the fuel line off the carb I know the impulse line is good don't have a pressure tester.... so how does pressure build in the in the gas tank?

Pressure builds in the gas/fuel tank from fuel expansion, can be caused by shaking the saw or temperature rise/increase.

The fuel pump that is driven by the impulse hose only makes fuel available at the needle.
The metering diaphragm opens the needle upon drop in pressure in the carburetor venturi in relation to atmospheric pressure.
Most saws will choke and start without impulse signal, they just run a little and die.

OK yes the diaphragm center is against the lever that opens and shuts the the needle valve.... got that
So the only thing I can think of then is I have 2 carbs here with needle valves that are not opening the rebuilt one and a brand new never used OEM carb.... what are the chances of that happening?? Could only happen to me! :wtf:

Few other have said mabe air leak. If leak is too big it won impuls. Whitch is what blows air 8nto carb to run the pump. No air. No pump. No run.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Few other have said mabe air leak. If leak is too big it won impuls. Whitch is what blows air 8nto carb to run the pump. No air. No pump. No run.

I will definitely check this out I don't have a pressure/vacuum pump so I think I will just replace the bearing seals I have some here....

Take off the filter and squirt a shot of fuel into the carb throat and try to start.

Does it start up "vroom"? Does it start up, then die after that shot of fuel burns off?

Or does it nothing?

This simple test will tell you a lot......

I will definitely check this out I don't have a pressure/vacuum pump so I think I will just replace the bearing seals I have some here....
Befor i got the mighty vac i just blocked the carb and muffler off and had an old compresion guage i cut the guage off and set the compressor down to 8 psi and sprayed soap water and looked for bubbles. If you dont have compresser just blow through line. If leak is big enough it will show.

You can also blow the air through the impulse line if you dont wanna ruin an old comp tester. Iv had spark plugs that leak so thats why i prefer the plug hole vs the impulse.

Stupid questions...

1. What is the history of this saw? Why did you tear into the carburetor? Was the saw running ? If not, how did it become non-running?

2. What was the result of Alex's thumb over the carb test? Was there fuel on the spark plug or was it still dry?

Back