Why so many Husky 455s refurbished on Ebay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy1941

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with Husky 455 ranchers factory refurbished on Ebay? Are they that easy to burn up and need to be reworked? I was considering getting one, but so many on there for sale makes me wonder if I would be wasting money. Opinions anyone?

I bought one and it arrived with the rear handle broken off. The box from the factory relies on the side handle stuck in a slot of cardboard to hold the saw in place. If the relatively thin cardboard rips or moves away from the saw, the saw is free to travel end to end in the box. The handle can't take the shock and breaks.

I was surprised the packing was of such a poor design and thought at the time that a lot of the saws must suffer the same fate. The handle is actually pretty cheap and my guess is that people buy them up, stick on a new handle and resell them.

I sent mine back and went to the local dealer and bought an MS261.

From what I understand, the refurbished saws come from the big box stores with their liberal return policies.

Low lifes will come in and buy a saw when they need one. An example of would be a storm or yard project. After completing the task they take it back and want their money back saying what ever excuse they come up with. This ends up costing us all in the long run.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a refurbished product.

What is the deal with Husky 455 ranchers factory refurbished on Ebay? Are they that easy to burn up and need to be reworked? I was considering getting one, but so many on there for sale makes me wonder if I would be wasting money. Opinions anyone?

When a saw is refurbished what has been done to it?New piston, bearings seals?I have noticed this on several of Husqvarna models but more the 455 and 435.Any idea what goes into (literally) a refurbished saw? Who does the work?A factory trained board certified mechanic or some drug infested dope smoking collage drop out? Ken

factory trained board certified mechanic or some drug infested dope smoking collage drop out? Ken

Collage?????

Definition of COLLAGE

a: an artistic composition made of various materials (as paper, cloth, or wood) glued on a surface b: a creative work that resembles such a composition in incorporating various materials or elements <the album is a collage of several musical styles>

: the art of making collages

: hodgepodge <a collage of ideas>

: a work (as a film) having disparate scenes in rapid succession without transitions

— collagetransitive verb

— col·lag·ist noun

See collage defined for English-language learners »

See collage defined for kids »

Examples of COLLAGE

We made collages in art class.
an artist known for her use of collage
The album is a collage of several musical styles.

Origin of COLLAGE

French, literally, gluing, from coller to glue, from colle glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla
First Known Use: 1919

From what I understand, the refurbished saws come from the big box stores with their liberal return policies.

Low lifes will come in and buy a saw when they need one. An example of would be a storm or yard project. After completing the task they take it back and want their money back saying what ever excuse they come up with. This ends up costing us all in the long run.

These saws were sent down to the storm damaged areas by the semi loads, after use they were sent back to be refurbished by Husqvarna Personnel, they were checked over and any issues were repaired. Do not worry about buying one, sure the warranty is shorter, but they have brought back to original specs. You may notice some scratches, chips, & scuffs on the plastics, but internals have all been checkd over. You will see a R inscribed on the saw somewhere, which means it is a refurbished unit. These units are deeply discounted due to being refurbished units.
Does this answer your concerns?

Collage?????

Definition of COLLAGE

a: an artistic composition made of various materials (as paper, cloth, or wood) glued on a surface b: a creative work that resembles such a composition in incorporating various materials or elements <the album is a collage of several musical styles>

: the art of making collages

: hodgepodge <a collage of ideas>

: a work (as a film) having disparate scenes in rapid succession without transitions

— collagetransitive verb

— col·lag·ist noun

See collage defined for English-language learners »

See collage defined for kids »

Examples of COLLAGE

We made collages in art class.
an artist known for her use of collage
The album is a collage of several musical styles.

Origin of COLLAGE

French, literally, gluing, from coller to glue, from colle glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla
First Known Use: 1919

Exactly!

Collage?????

Best chain saw collage I can find...

_Dolmar_chainsaw_motorcycle_1.jpg

The 455 is a popular box store saw. That makes it a popular target. But I digress.

Agreed with AZLogger; refurbishment typically involves a full diagnostic of operating parameters and associated repairs, if needed. The refurb saw is sold in working condition with limited warranty to reflect refurb status. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not new out-of-the-box.

Slight cosmetic issues may be evident. But that's gonna happen to a brand-new saw as soon as you start working with it anyway. If the 455 is what you want in a saw, a Husky service refurb can be a good deal.

My brother recently bought a (new) 455 and we have all been impressed with how it ran. I think they are a good saw for the money and most re-furbs should have a 90 day warranty.

Bought a refurb 455 late this summer. Saved a bunch. Had the odd cosmetic "beauty-mark."

Came with new b&c- apparently some weekend-warrior fiended the originals. The "vanguard" chisel chain cuts very nicely IMHO, just the usual chisel chain stuff. I'd sure buy another were it necessary, but it seems it'll be a while before I wear this one out.

Rather than ebay, got mine from VMInnovations. 90-day guarantee.

I can't imagine a thread disparaging a Husky 455. They are easily worth $300+, even when "refurbished". I wouldn't hesitate buying one, even though I'm Stihl branded already. They are a great firewood saw.

I can't imagine a thread disparaging a Husky 455. They are easily worth $300+, even when "refurbished". I wouldn't hesitate buying one, even though I'm Stihl branded already. They are a great firewood saw.

I agree. I have the 460 because it was nearly the same price and 5 more ccs. It isn't a magnesium cased, pro saw, but is a very good saw at a good price. The 455s have a solid reputation for being reliable.

The trick would be, find out where these refurbs really come from. If these sellers are selling them cheap and making a profit, there has to be a source where you could get them at those guys cost. Maybe buy five or ten, flip most of them, have a free saw or two.

Yeah a few years ago a Lowes person told me pretty much the same thing about a lot of their power tool and equipment returns. Power washers,lawn mowers, etc. Many times people will come to their summer home (in the NC mountains) and use the equipment until they don't need it anymore and then return it to the store for a refund.

Latest posts

Back