wierd altec boom.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just pick up a old 78 f700 truck the other day with an mystery boom/ On the lower boom it has a tag with a High Ranger model number f1-2pbi. On the upper boom opposite side it has an Altec tag that just has a serial number. Other odd things are there as well. It has a Hobart giant battery charger/I think... and under the turret is a 8hp 32volt electric motor hooked to a small looking hydraulic pump. Batteries for this are gone and its very weathered looking. What kind of battery is 32V or is it a deep cycle batteries in series. Just a little project thing but if anyone has ever seen one like this Id like to hear what you know about it

Here a a few pictures. I missed one character in the boom model number. Should have been FI-52PBI best I can tell. The last pictures with the broken lines lead to the bucket controller. These lines are cracked elsewhere and need to be replaced. Where would I source that line. It does have hydraulic fluid in them and boom works nice and fast from bottom controls. Would love to get the electric pony motor working too.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 41
That is an old Highranger boom. Those control lines look like they were cut, probably to keep anyone from using it. It should have a pistol grip control head at the bucket the will send low
pressure through those lines to the high pressure control valves pictured. That is a real old boom and I'm guessing it was condemned for being unsafe so they cut the control lines. Those lines do get brittle over time and do break but to have all three of them break at the same time is not going to happen. There are brass connectors you can get to patch those lines back together but that would be to just make it operable so you can figure out what is really wrong with it that caused someone to condemn it. You could completely replace the lines but that is a few $1000 I would guess. You need to get the thing inspected by a pro before you even think of going up in that boom. If not you are literally risking you life.
I hope you didn't pay much for it.

That is an old Highranger boom. Those control lines look like they were cut, probably to keep anyone from using it. It should have a pistol grip control head at the bucket the will send low
pressure through those lines to the high pressure control valves pictured. That is a real old boom and I'm guessing it was condemned for being unsafe so they cut the control lines. Those lines do get brittle over time and do break but to have all three of them break at the same time is not going to happen. There are brass connectors you can get to patch those lines back together but that would be to just make it operable so you can figure out what is really wrong with it that caused someone to condemn it. You could completely replace the lines but that is a few $1000 I would guess. You need to get the thing inspected by a pro before you even think of going up in that boom. If not you are literally risking you life.
I hope you didn't pay much for it.

They actually broke when I was moving them around to see their condition which is brittle. Everything was intact. Truck was parked in 2008 when the company bought a newer truck. It was suppose to be functioning at that time. I think replacing small lines of that type would not be too expensive. I could do the work myself as Im a retired aviation mechanic I do understand hydraulics although I do not know where to find that type of small hydraulic line. Any guesses on the electric motor setup. It is assuredly stock. I just have never seen that before.

OK them.
I can't remember what that kind of line is called but if you call Terex (they bought Hi-Ranger) they could tell you. I bet its the same stuff they use in aviation. Then buy a roll online.
As for the electric motor. Your guess is as good as mine. I have never seen an electric pony motor on a boom like that but maybe they set it up to operate indoors.

I will call Terex. Didn't think 8hp would be sufficient to run as a pony motor. As for the truck I gave the seller scrap price of 8.00 dollars a hundred lbs. Put plugs in changed the gas and drove it 65 miles to the house. Actually runs nice. No need for it just a project...was bored. Thanks again

The electric motor powers the "emergency" over-ride hydraulic pump. The truck came equipped with a Hobart electrical system that included a large forklift type battery- this powered the "emergency" hydraulic system in the event the main engine (usually gas) failed. The unit is a HiRanger 5FI52 PBI. They were, and are ( if properly maintained) excellent units.

I will call Terex. Didn't think 8hp would be sufficient to run as a pony motor. As for the truck I gave the seller scrap price of 8.00 dollars a hundred lbs. Put plugs in changed the gas and drove it 65 miles to the house. Actually runs nice. No need for it just a project...was bored. Thanks again

Wow that is up there for scrap. We are lucky to get even 1/2 that.
This past fall we scrapped about 98,000lbs and got around 2000. At your prices it would have been close to 8k.

Wow that is up there for scrap. We are lucky to get even 1/2 that.
This past fall we scrapped about 98,000lbs and got around 2000. At your prices it would have been close to 8k.
not bad on the truck. If the tires are ok you have over 1600 just in rubber.

Back