Wild Black Cherry Tree For Backyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Oak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just planted a Wild Black Cherry tree in my backyard and would like to know if it grows fast or slow? Yes I live in a small city will this make any difference in the way it grows?

What is the life of one?

You may ask why a Black Cherry, because I feel that they are a nice tree to have and also they will bring birds to my backyard.

Feel free to comment on this. The more I hear the more I learn.

Prunus serotina, wild black cherry, is the largest of the cherry trees. It is also a much longer lived specimen than the smaller, ornamentals. Some reports state around 285 years.

Its ability to thrive and grow in your backyard will depend on its available sunlight, soil conditions, available moisture and lack of abuse in addition to its being planted properly right from the get go.

As Softwoodrules mentioned, it is intolerant of shade, requiring full sun. The fact that you live in a small city may be to its benefit if that translates to lack of air pollution and larger yard sizes.

The following link is from the forest service and I always like to check this site out for native trees. You do need to take into consideration their view point...production timber. However, it also gives you a good insight into regional variety, soil and moisture requisites and a whole lot of information that you may, or may not, find interesting.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/prunus/serotina.htm

Prunus sp in general are susceptible to a variety of diseases and insects and sometimes being forewarned is forearmed. I applaud your desire to attract birds and so encourage you to think proactively with an organic approach.

Good luck and to anyone who says "Why a wild black cherry?" simply reply, "Why not?"

Sylvia

Back