Will I ruin the dishwasher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsl

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've done some searching about parts cleaning using the dishwasher and so far I learned it works really well and guys always get in s**t for using it.

Anyways, for those of you who used this method and got caught, what did you do wrong?

I'm hopefully going to use this method.... But not if it involves getting my manhood handed to me.

Thanks,

Ps, fiancées preggers so I might have to rethink this altogether lol

I wouldn't. You can buy a parts washer fairly cheap if you get an off brand and you can use it forever...Flea markets and yard sales sometimes have them. Sometimes it's better to leave the household stuff to the wife, things seem to go better that way.

If it is a newer Maytag, go ahead because the dishwasher will break down in a year or two anyway and you might as well get as much use out of it as you can. After a year, I found out that the Maytag repair guy gets no sleep. No, I just tried to wash dishes in mine.:(

If it is a newer Maytag, go ahead because the dishwasher will break down in a year or two anyway and you might as well get as much use out of it as you can. After a year, I found out that the Maytag repair guy gets no sleep. No, I just tried to wash dishes in mine.:(

Haha, it's a kitchenaid installed by yours truly

I find that with full strength purple power and hot water.. I can get everything to like new.... I've even thought about using a wash tub on my turkey fryer burner to keep everything outside. I think of these ways as I like to sleep inside at night.

About the dish washer.. I know that they are normally plumbed to a hot water supply... but could one theoretically just plumb it to a cold water supply (garden hose) and feed it 110V via a drop cord... let it dump in the yard? I'm just thinking that a lot of times used appliances don't bring diddly squat on CraigsList or Habbitat Restore locations... may be the best of both worlds...

Thoughts?

what you guys don't realize is that you can buy a used dishwashers cheap just for washing saw parts

I have a Kenmore dishwasher that has a no-heat dry and a heated dry setting. It also has a setting where the machine heats the water, no hot water hook up is necessary. You can not control the temp of the water - either hot or cold. It has never distorted any plastic yet on heated water setting. 120v

You won't ruin your dishwasher! Maybe your marriage....:)

The amount of time saved is not to be forgotten. Dismantle and put all parts inside, close and come back in an hour to sparkling clean parts! I would be careful about a lot of sawdust. That could clog your system and ruin your dishwasher.

The temperature depends on the setting. Most dishwashers have an element inside that heats the water up. Or, you can set your hot water heater to that temp. Now, it'll heat it even more, I think, if you choose the Sanitize option. Having installed a dishwasher, there's really no reason it can't run outside in a sheltered location if you drain it before freezing weather sets in. That element will heat up the cold water.

Powdered or Liquid??? Rinse agent to prevent water spots?:)

When I get relocated.. a dish washer is on the list of things I'd like to install in my shop. Not only saw parts, but anything I work on would be handy to have cleaned fully before reassembly.

I have a portable dishwasher in my shop, I can stretch the hoses to the bathroom sink to run it. They may be O.K. for saws with a lot of plastic parts but I find the old magnesium saws don't seem to come all that clean, and the paint is almost always faded and oxidized in the process.

I have been trying to give mine away for a while but nobody ever actually comes to get it.

Mark

Does it get the majority of the oil and stuck on sawdust? The amount of brake clean and cleaners I go through is astounding. If I could toss a couple saws in a dishwasher and get them mostly clean it would save me some incredible amounts of time. I usually clean them when I plug off the intake and exhaust for a vacuum test. Depending on how dirty, they either get blown off with air and brake clean or they go to the solvent tank. If a dishwasher got them mostly clean, I could clean saws I normally wouldn't bother with and the customer would get a vacuum test thrown in for next to nothing.

My neighbor has a real honest to goodness industrial parts washer in his 30×50 heated shop. Stuff comes out soooooo nice and all you have to do is set the timer, pop a brewsky, bs and wait. He sells them and the cleaner to shops. I know he yaks about flamability and safety as his selling points as there are often fires w parts cleaners.

I'd love to have one, but the $6000 price tag for an industrial parts washer puts it out of my realm at this moment. I agree that it's the way to go, though.

Latest posts

Back