Will I ruin the dishwasher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to start a new thread and have searched but did not find a satisfying answer about cleaning. Can I use a degreaser on the saw to clean it. I used it on my 261 after cutting some charred wood. I normally blow it off real but the blowing wasn't working to well for me. I put a bag and rubber band around the muffler and the intake and used Zep degreaser to break down the crap. Then I hosed it off lightly to get the Zep of. It worked beautifully actually but was worried if the degreaser would ruin rubber parts. After this I blew it dry then greased the brake mech and idler bearing.

What do you think?

I've used my dish washer many times and an very pleased with the results. It has a stainless steel tub and haven't noticed any ill effects.

Now the DW was none to pleased but I was happy getting in trouble for something I had done not for something I hadn't done. Besides I'm always in trouble for something anyway.

YMMV

As I stated before, why mess with a kitchen appliance when you can get a parts washer for cheap..I got mine for free.
Are you talking about a normal solvent tank parts washer? If so, it still takes MY labor to run, which I have to charge to someone...and I get to play in chemicals (which I don't like). If you got an aqueous parts washer for free, than that's the U Suck score of the century. A dishwasher would free us up to do other things while it's running with a few saws in it.

Anybody, anybody......

I don't want to start a new thread and have searched but did not find a satisfying answer about cleaning. Can I use a degreaser on the saw to clean it. I used it on my 261 after cutting some charred wood. I normally blow it off real but the blowing wasn't working to well for me. I put a bag and rubber band around the muffler and the intake and used Zep degreaser to break down the crap. Then I hosed it off lightly to get the Zep of. It worked beautifully actually but was worried if the degreaser would ruin rubber parts. After this I blew it dry then greased the brake mech and idler bearing.

What do you think?

It's an engine. Anything made to degrease car engine bays is going to be fine. I use the spray on stuff that you rinse with water with no ill effects. That purple Super Clean works better, though. BrakKleen works the best if you can stand the smell.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Well, our old dishwasher has been making a ton of noise all summer so I treated my 14yo daughter with a new one ;) I did a test run with the old dishwasher with a dirty 361 I am parting out. I tossed the plastics without any pre-cleaning (I could have blown them off with air, but I wanted a worst case scenario). I am amazed at how well it did. All the pieces are spotless with even the hidden nooks and crannies clean. This old dishwasher is headed to my shop :D

I have only used the dishwasher for air filters so far, but I don't really see any problems with other parts, except what Mark said about paint....

Last edited:
I have used a dishwasher. Also parts washers, ultrasonics, purple with elbow grease, goof off, easy off, gasoline & kerosene.

On the really bad crankcases, baked on grease from seal leaks, I like to start with oven cleaner.

It all works.....

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

If it is a newer Maytag, go ahead because the dishwasher will break down in a year or two anyway and you might as well get as much use out of it as you can. After a year, I found out that the Maytag repair guy gets no sleep. No, I just tried to wash dishes in mine.:(
i HOPE YOU PREOPLE REALIZE THAT THERE ARE NO LONGER MAYTAG APPLIANCES---------------- ONLY REBADGED WHIRLPOOL "****" TRYING TO BE SOLD AS MAYTAGS! I KNOW BECAUSE I WORKED FOR THE REAL MAYTAG FOR 33 YEARS!

Ray

It realy IS amasing just how dirty a saw can get
Ive picked up to to use as pasts and was astounded to say the least
Ive one of my own 26 years old and its still pretty tidy
I couldn't emagine letting a saw get in such a state
I guess some blokes just run em into the ground

boy aren't they hard to clean up by hand

Latest posts

Back