will Stihl synthetic oil hurt my Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16:1mix

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Juuuuuuuuuuuuusssssttttttttt Kidding!

Of course you realize that I am a devout synthetic oil believer and have evangelized abut how I like Redline synthetic oil in the many oil threads that have been conducted here. The only problem is that the stuff is not always available over the counter around here so I dropped in on the Stihl dealer and picked up a six pack of the 2.6 oz HP ULT SYNTHETIC ST (part# 0781 313 8002) as a intermediate substitute until I can get another gallon of Redline.

The stuff makes blue gasoline, so there is no mistaking it for anything else. In my 350 it burns ABSOLUTELY odor and smoke free at 40:1 making it a top contender to my normal choice......except for the cost. $2.55 per 2.6 oz.

Is this the norm in your area?
I did not see any larger containers of same offered.

Thoughts?
:blob2:
Thanks!

Today must be the Ultra day

I just picked up a six-pack of the Ultra stuff today too... been reading all the good things about it on here, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I even splurged on a new Blitz can too :D Being payday and all.

My guy had it in the 2.6 and 5.2 oz sizes , I normally mix 1 gallon at a time so went with the small bottles. Wife proof, almost. (I say almost, she could mix it with diesel or kerosene I suppose) $9.99 + tax for the six-pack over here FWIW.

It should be fine in your Huskies... heck, it might scare them into running a little better ;)

I dunno if I'll like the stink-free aspect... two-stroke exhaust fume stink brings back many fond memories: Sawing with dad, snowmobiling in Maine, dirtbiking all over etc... I stihl have a couple of the orange bottled mix oil left, just in case I get needing a nostalgia fix (or is that brain damage?)

Last edited:
Other than just toying with your imagination, does the synthetic oil give you any tangible, empirical, benefit?

I doubt it.

Other than just toying with your imagination, does the synthetic oil give you any tangible, empirical, benefit?

I doubt it.

Yes it does. The reduced smoke and greatly reduced stink makesa huge difference. I could never go back to dino.

Last edited:
Yes it does. The reduced smoke and greatly reduced stink makesa huge difference. I could never go back to dino.

Without actually running any of this stuff yet, I'd have to agree. What I am mainly interested in is lengthening the useful life of my equipment. The cost difference is negligible (last 6-pk of Stihl Hi-Performance dino was $7.95 = $1.32 per 1gl dose, Stihl Ultra synth was $9.95 = $1.66 per 1gl dose) $0.34 is worth it IF there is a benefit to me... As I mentioned, the reduced odor & smoke isn't as much a concern. Increased service life and less accumulation of carbon & "gunk" is.

I'm a tech in a construction materials testing lab (and enjoy it) as such I likes my empirical data :cheers:

It would be fun to do a full blown analysis/comparison. Take recordings on two matched powerheads, and run them both for X-hundred? hours. One on synthetic, the other on petroleum-base. Same fuel source, atmospheric conditions & loading throughout the test. Not so much to see which one "blows up" first, but after a good amount of hours, tear them back down to compare the vital organs again. I'd bet lunch that the synth-fed powerhead would show less wear on critical components, and less deposits of 'junk'. I'd also suspect that a 'sniffer' analysis would show a reduced amount of 'pollution' as well... but that would be a SWAG, based on having little clue on particulate matter collection & analysis. (I can measure & weigh stuff pretty good though -within the limits of my equipment, and would focus on that aspect.)

So, who's putting up the two powerheads for me to flog? It doesn't matter to me, as long as they are new & matched pretty close.

So, who's putting up the two powerheads for me to flog? It doesn't matter to me, as long as they are new & matched pretty close.[/QUOTE]
------------------RIGHT!!!!! and the next time we hear from him--said tests are concluded after 50 hrs as no empirical data obtained----and thanks for the testing material!!!!!!!!!!! sure---somones going to send you two nos stihl 090's---for this testing project-----uh huh!!!!

Look for Mobil Racing 2T...Autozone has it for $7.19 qt...way cheaper than the Stihl mix, and every bit as good....Mobil makes the base oil for many other companies..it can't be beat. My saws are clean as a whistle, ask Lakeside...at 36-1.

Seriously

I'd like to do it...

My limitations are my scales (five, that vary -+ .5g/10000g weekly) and my measuring tools. I have a couple 1000* kilns that have scales... but they aren't terribly precise either (-+ 1g/5000g) they are good at measuring/recording weight, by 1/10 gram lost over time though.

I'd return the powerheads to the supplier or send them off to a second party if need be. I 'could' work with my fresh MS361 (-2 tanks of stihl dino only) but be better to work with two brand-new matched powerheads that were disassembled and measured prior to the test.

Kinda a junk junky here, no axe to grind. My boss has a 262XP that's ran on Amsoil synthetic all it's life and it's still his go-to saw, so he'd likely be sympathetic to the cause...

What would be a good test of a pro-equipment powerhead? 100 gallons @ WOT under load? What sort of duty cycle?

Last edited:
1000 hours minimum.. and that would only half life at worst. 3000 hours or to end of life would be the best test.

Stihl already ran the oil tests for 500 hours WOT on their blowers... but blowers are different and run at full power most of the time. I posted the pics of the results some time back, somewhere on AS..

I run Stihl Ultra in all my equipment, 50:1, except when milling.

Nah, a Husky is a "karate saw", it bruises in the inside so it doesn't show it's weakness...:biggrinbounce2:

Then again, I'm a fan of the "red stuff", Mobil 2T. It lubricates across brand-racial barriers. It's an equal opportunity lubricator, AND you don't have to worry about feeling wierd around your Husky buddies.

Mark

Last edited:
Nah, a Husky is a "karate saw", it bruises in the inside so it doesn't show it's weakness...:biggrinbounce2:

Then again, I'm a fan of the "red stuff", Mobil 2T. It lubricates across brand-racial barriers. It's an equal opportunity lubricator, AND you don't have to worry about feeling wierd around your Husky buddies.

Mark

LOLOL, equal opportunity lubricator,LOLOL , reminds me of Astroglide,LOL

"Personal Lubricant", like KY, but more slippery. Historically, Astroglide has some gay connotations, since it is apparently a favorite in that group.
Mark

Yep, I regret asking - as predicted. I should trust my intuition!
:ices_rofl:

Thanks for explaining, at some point this information might save me from a real embarrassing situation! :clap:

The most any synthetic oil will hurt is your billfold :bowdown: certainly not your saw. I'm a Mobil 2T fan myself.

Historically, Astroglide has some gay connotations, since it is apparently a favorite in that group.

Dang, I coulda went the rest of my life without that info. I'm not gonna ask how you know.

"Personal Lubricant", like KY, but more slippery. Historically, Astroglide has some gay connotations, since it is apparently a favorite in that group.

Mark

puke.gif
Not the type of information I was hoping to find in this thread.

Latest posts

Back