Willow Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anybody burn willow ? Have access to three large trees but don't know how it burns.

I've burned tons of it over the years. Excellent shoulder season wood cause it turns to dust...no coals. Nothing will warm a cold house up quicker than willow... not the kind of wood you want to load up for the night.

The thing with willow is that it has it's place but the place is not mixed in with your other hardwood...keep is separate.

Anybody burn willow ? Have access to three large trees but don't know how it burns.

Depends, if you a wood snob, then NO....not worth the time. For me, it burns, it is free, it produces heat, then it is good.

Depends on which willow. The stuff out here makes fair firewood and I have heated my house with it for over 20 years - about the only type tree that is available in abundance in this area.

Dries to paper? Turns to powder? Not what I have seen. I am burning willow that has been in my stacks for 2 or 3 seasons this year and is still solid; an armful does weigh.

Would I use it if better were availble at same cost? No. Locust is dying around here and I am getting more than I can use so my willow harvest days are over except to finish up some old promises (3 huge trees - around 2 1/2 cord each)

Harry K

Back