Winter Layers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just wondering, what is the best clothing a climber can wear as it gets colder. I wish to keep the mobility, so something thin but warm. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I'm sure it has to be something that breathes....because we all know how much one sweats in a tree. Thanks again dudes.

tony

As they always say, layers. It's hard to dress for cold weather when you climb. Ya gotta experiment with what works for you, and yur climate.

And to look good we must realize that arbor fashion conscious climbers must stay abreast of new designers.

Jack:D

In some situations it doesn't matter if what your wearing is comfortable or warm. It had better be companie issue with the company logo and green. It is better to be uniform and look like your co worker than to be comfortable. I try and go as far as even looking like the boss. I can even fool a brother once in a while.

Originally posted by BigJohn
In some situations it doesn't matter if what your wearing is comfortable or warm. It had better be companie issue with the company logo and green. It is better to be uniform and look like your co worker than to be comfortable. I try and go as far as even looking like the boss. I can even fool a brother once in a while.

Ya, I can just see you climbing with a three piece sharks skin suit and a glow in the dark ASI tie, ANSI approved.

Jack

Ah nice thread Tony!
Nothing like throwin a jinx into this weather!
Your kind of like those guy's who put the plow on the pickup in Sept. cause it looks cool!:angry:
Just joshin ya, layer up and peel off if you get to hot!
Later
John

Cold???

Not until it hits -10... anything above is t-shirt weather.

Dang southerners...

tony,
2 sets of long johns for the legs and jeans. A long john top, t, sweat shirt, and a hoody sweat shirt. Wool socks and a good $ pair of boots. 1000 g of thinsulate/ gortex. A bandana and stocking cap. Gloves? I was never a big fan.
That's was my cold weather gear when I lived up north. And remember, If you get cold, you're not working hard enough!:D

Typical clothing for January/February from the ground up.

1.One light pair of socks, one wooly pair, one pair of bigazz Sorel type boots. Mine are quarter length as opposed to the ones that come up under the knee. Steel toe/shank and dialectric.

2.One pair of light long underwear, one pair of baggier long underwear overtop. One pair of Carhart workpants. (The cheaper ones without the double layer thigh.

3.One wifebeater tanktop. One shortsleeve t-shirt. One long sleeve t-shirt. One heavier sweater. One light coat. One heavier coat.

4.One-piece coveralls over everything. Fire resistant and terribly easy to rip on whatever they can snag.

5.Various sizes of gloves and mitts that I change throughout the day. Mitts are fun to climb in and even better to operate a chainsaw with.

6.Neckwarmer, hardhat liner and hardhat.

This is for extreme temperatures but in any climate there is one main point. Working will keep you warm. Drag brush thru a foot of snow and you'll warm up plenty quick. When my hands get too warm I downsize from mitts, to gloves with liners, to regular gloves. The neck warmer may get stuffed in the pocket and the flaps of the hardhat liner may get velcroed on top the hardhat.

Keep in mind we get our line clearance contract that runs from October to March or else I would be sitting on a pile of beer cans from Christmas til April.:D

I'm reposting a picture but if the AS Godfather can do it then why wouldn't I?;)

I've got 2 of them. Both are green, with hoods and a single, big pocket in the front. If you take the shirt and hold it in your fingers, you will feel 2 layers of material there as opposed to the single layer that you would find in most sweatshirts.

I would recommend polypropelene long underwear and shirt. A good idea is to get the shirt in a tall size if you have problems with the underlayer coming untucked. Like everybody said, layer and make sure the outer ones are fairly easy to remove. Keep warm and dry.

I have dealt with those long island winters when I lived up in N.Y. and the salt air wind blowing off the sound in January was definitly no fun. Best for me was layers, heavy socks, insulated boots, like to wear bib overalls to keep the cold air from getting in my back. Not a big fan of the full suit coveralls, at least with the bibs you can wear a pull over and toss it when you get warmed up. Dress in layers and learn to carry some extra clothes with you, nothing worse than a wet pair of socks all day in cold weather.
:)

Summertime climbing clothes: jeans, T-shirt, socks, boots

Wintertime climbing clothes: jeans, T-shirt, socks, boots

Cold? What's that?;)

Originally posted by rumination
Summertime climbing clothes: jeans, T-shirt, socks, boots

Wintertime climbing clothes: jeans, T-shirt, socks, boots

Cold? What's that?;)

Yeah yeah yeah... RUB it in....:D

I agree with Timber. Spend the money on a good pair of breathable underwear. Separate top and bottom makes it easier to take care of bathroom business when necessary.

I have somehting called wickerwear (long johns), and a pair of Rocky boots. I used to own many Sorrels and LaCrosse boots but wouldn't think of ever owning another pair again after buying the Rockies. They're half the weight, twice as dry and waterproof (my hunting boots). And almost the same price, only about $25 more. I can trudge around all day and not be tired.

My brother showed me what good clothing was. As an avid fly fisherman, he dragged me out in spring and fall to our WI streams for steelhead fishing, where they bite best with water temps in the 40-42 F range. I used to dress in the bear minimum but found that all my cotton clothes collected sweat like a sponge, then I got cold quickly. Spend the money on good clothes, you'll be glad you did.

Back