Winter woodpile....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not a biggie - but I am proud of it! A face cord of 2 yr. seasoned Maple was purchased, 1/2+ cord was donated by a member of this list, the rest was scrounged. All but the Maple was cut and split by hubby and I. I know it's not much compared with you fellas but considering this is the first year I was "in charge" I am quite proud of my efforts. It is sitting on a well drained graveled area on top of treated 2x4's (which is what we had available at the time)and all covered with a camo tarp which drapes down the sides variously 1-2'. I started out with seven 8' long rows, mostly 20" cuts. That railing next to it is set on top of cement blocks so the pile is about 5' tall. Also have a 3x4 utility trailer in the garage that has gone through a load or two already this year.

Here's a photo of my pile after our 14" snowfall this last week. :)

Shari

..forgot to mention: That's my little 4x6 utility trailer in the photo too. I wired the lights for that this summer. First time doing that too! :) This is all small scale homeowner stuff but it works for us. Still burning with a fireplace while searching for an affordable, used, EPA & UL listed wood stove. Temp was -8 this morning with a wind chill of -32. We have already had 30" of snow here. More snow coming Tuesday am, Tuesday pm and Wednesday. I am SO glad today is the FIRST day of winter.....

Shari

Last edited:
To bad your married I'm looking for my next ex-wife. Glad to see you don;t mind working. It beats eating bon bons all day.

Scott

Still need a path to the wood, Shari. Try a dust mask to keep the bitter cold air from your lungs, works better than a scarf.

Stay warm.:cheers: (mugs of hot cocoa)

PS.. Any soup simmering in that kettle yet??

Still need a path to the wood, Shari. Try a dust mask to keep the bitter cold air from your lungs, works better than a scarf.

Stay warm.:cheers: (mugs of hot cocoa)

PS.. Any soup simmering in that kettle yet??

Hey, hey! Nice to hear from you! Our son came out and used a snowblower to clear a path to the woodpile. I clipped the bottom corner of the woodpile a couple of weeks ago with the plow. The corners of the piles are criss-crossed so it is still standing so far. With this last storm I did as much clearing of the snow as I could with the riding mower w/the plow on it but it was just too deep. After 3-1/2 hrs. clearing I gave in & asked for help. I got new wheel weights and chains on the tractor this summer but, alas, the Wisconsin winters are just too much for it! Bummer is I have a snowblower attachment for the tractor sitting in the shed but it constantly needs belt adjustments (apparently) and no one has taught me how to do that yet. Ah well, I just gave in and finally got help. It bugs me when I can't be independent though.

Bailey's Irish Cream is much better than cocoa.... :) especially after plowing! :)

My homemade chili is well known in the family!!! There is most often some simmering!

Shari

Not a biggie - but I am proud of it! A face cord of 2 yr. seasoned Maple was purchased, 1/2+ cord was donated by a member of this list, the rest was scrounged. All but the Maple was cut and split by hubby and I. I know it's not much compared with you fellas but considering this is the first year I was "in charge" I am quite proud of my efforts. It is sitting on a well drained graveled area on top of treated 2x4's (which is what we had available at the time)and all covered with a camo tarp which drapes down the sides variously 1-2'. I started out with seven 8' long rows, mostly 20" cuts. That railing next to it is set on top of cement blocks so the pile is about 5' tall. Also have a 3x4 utility trailer in the garage that has gone through a load or two already this year.

Here's a photo of my pile after our 14" snowfall this last week. :)

Shari

Shari

We all cut, split, and pile according to our needs. A job done is a job done and it looks like you've done yours well!

Those trailers can be tricky to wire and, if so, it is usually the ground wire that is causing the problems. I solder 2 lengths of white wire to the short white piece that comes with the harness, then run it back to the lights themselves and bolt it to the light mounting bolts.

That's a good looking wood pile. Thanks for posting that pic. :cheers:

I have a blower for my riding mower as well, and the belt driven setups are a pita, it was fine the first winter, but after that, it's been downhill ever since, a good walkbehind 2-stage(even used) will perform much better, and faster, but the best city machine is a Toro Powerlite, would be a great unit for your needs, but would be working to clear the end of the drive after the plows go by.

Coffee, Kahlua, are a tasty combo also. Or cocoa with Kahlua

I tip my hat to you and your husband. A lot of effort went in to getting the winter store of wood in, on top of everything else, that was no small effort.

I'll raise my glass to you both, anyday.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back