Wire core flip lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to order a new wire core flip line, and there are many brands to choose from. Snap with swivel, snap with non-swivel. I'm now using the Yale 8' with petzl rope grab....like it alot but want more security with wire core.
Also I want to try the gibbs ascender with the new flip line. Also leaning towards a 10' line. I don't know if I would like the swivel snap, I'm used to the non-swivel snaps.
What are you using?? Have any advice for me??

Thanks

of the three i've used wall safety is the best wire core flip line. us rigging is next with new england rope as the worst. with out a doubt get the swivel snap. petzl or gibbs no difference, they both have their problems. one is no better than the other.

as far as length thats up to you. i get away with an 8ft one most of the time when i need it i have a 12ft one i add on with out removing the 8ft one.

I also use an 8' wire core flip line with the gibbs ascender on it. I love it, best flip line I have used. I however don't have the swivel snap but don't have any problems. The wire core definatly makes it easier to flip up the tree. One other thing to consider is the size. I have worked with guys using the 1/2 inch size. I personally have the 5/8'' size I like that better because it gives you more to grab a hold of when flipping it up the tree, basically it is more comfortable for flipping for me however. I would recommend grabbing a 1/2in rope and a5/8in rope in your hands and see what you think will be most comfortable for you.

i use the 10' wire core flipline with petzl combo, i use the swivel snap, i like the range of motion and it really dosent twist with that, the twisted clevis is also part of my combo

I am using a 12' wire core flipline with a gibbs rope grap and twist link. Before this, I did it the old fashion way with a knot on my dee ring. Can't remember what that knot's called or if anyone ever told me what it was called. When I snug up to the tree, nothing could be finer than my new rig. When I let out slack I pine for the old way(less cr@p on my saddle too) because I don't like the feel of it. I had a swivel on my old lanyard and liked it a bunch. I don't think it matters much with a macro adjuster because all the twists work themselves during normal use. As for length I wouldn't buy more than you need and that depends on the trees you climb. I would guess a ten footer would suit you fine. I recommend getting the petzl macro adjuster, its smaller and seems smoother. I've had my gibbs slide on me a number of times in just eight months of use. If it gets loaded with saw chips it can fail. Whatever you choose, learn how to do it with just a knot on your dee ring as a back-up. Plus, I don't care what Clearance says, get a simple rope flipline for use around power lines. Good luck! Have fun!

Old Monkey,
There are two gibbs modles, One for 1/2 rope and a bigger size for 5/8 to 3/4 rope. If you have experienced slippage, could you be using the bigger one on 1/2 rope. I have not heard of ascenders slipping under normal use.

MB,
Do you use the gibbs set up? How do you like it.

Works for me: http://arborist.************/attachment_19028.php

David Hardman said:
Old Monkey,
There are two gibbs modles, One for 1/2 rope and a bigger size for 5/8 to 3/4 rope. If you have experienced slippage, could you be using the bigger one on 1/2 rope. I have not heard of ascenders slipping under normal use.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I inherited the set up and the gibbs does seem kind of large.

I have an 18ft wirecore that I hardly ever use. I bought it for the same reasons your buying yours but looking back I shoulda just made the lanyard I use now.

Blue Streak with a VT and micro pulley. Sweet setup for me, my wirecore sleeps in the garge, hardly ever comes out.

Superstiteons and tree climbing seem to almost go hand in hand. If it gives ya a funny feeling then leave it alone.

kf_tree said:
of the three i've used wall safety is the best wire core flip line. us rigging is next with new england rope as the worst. .

Question??? Why do you say New England makes the worst wire core. I have never used one , but recently purchased one made by New England, I looked at others and was not happy with what I saw or by the way they felt.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on using it for the first time to see if there is really a difference between using a rope lanyard or this wire core. This will be the first time I have had anything this stiff since I quit using a buckstrap, pole strap. The New England wire core seemed to be a happy medium between a rope verses other wire cores that felt too stiff, for my liking anyway.

Larry

ax-man

the problem with the new england ones is where the rope terinates at the snap over time it milks back revealing the core. once the shrink wrap gets peeled off there's nothing holding the rope to the cable. the shrink wrap keeps the rope tight around a small ferral.

the other 2 brands have a better way of terminating the rope. wall has a nice big ferral crimped over the rope.

Thanks KF,

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens, it probaly won't see enough action to where this might be a problem, like some of you guys who use one more on a full time basis, but you never know I could try it and like it for removals that aren't around power lines.

Larry

Hey guys

You know how some people are fanatical about wire core (like me) ... well this is what I've done.

I get New England blue V climbing line, take it to this marine place. They pull out the blue core and insert 1/4" stainless steel wire cable ... any length you want.

I had a 24' lanyard made up years ago, I still got it, and as it wears, gets nicked etc I just get the end cut off and have it re-swaged & stitched, it's about 12' now.

In fact I think it's better than the bought ones as the rope (including the inner wire core) goes around the thimble and is swaged + stitched.

Some of those factory made ones only have the wire core going around the thimble, and over time the strands of the wire rope begin to fray and eventually it breaks right there. After all that's where all the wiggling motion is when flipping up the trunk and just like repeated bending of a piece of wire they break. A design flaw for sure.

Latest posts

Back