With a bit of stretching it's a woodburner story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
About 8 years ago my dad died and about two weeks later my girlfriends niece had a baby girl. Young parents aren't always super responsible and I got to care for this baby quite a bit. I had fridays off and mom worked so I always got her on thursday night (why wake a baby and haul her around in the wee hours). Keep in mind I informed my parents at the age of 18 to never expect any children from me, the world has plenty of kids already that need parents. At the time I'd never changed a diaper, even though I'd raised a step son from age 2 to adult. Any parent can relate to what was my favorite job, feeding her bottle and rocking her to sleep. That feeling just knowing that child has absolute trust in you, if you've never experienced it you're missing one of lifes great treasures.

Fast forward to today. Two weeks ago mom gives dad the boot----don't know the whole story and don't really care. Lucky for us I've got a couple thousand sq ft shop which isn't being fully used. When I built it I roughed in plumbing for a kitchen----if I ever lost my job I could move in. I'm charging him rent (seriously low) and going to teach him to live on the cheap. No dining out, cooking lessons are part of the game plan. Dad spent one week in a motel room and we're just getting him settled in at the shop. Now we've got a stove and refrigerator with probably more food in it than when he had a woman. Tomorrow I'm going after a bunk bed for the girls (there's a little sister too) plus a kitchen sink.

Here's the woodburner part of the story. I got a used earthstove and lined it with new firebrick. Hauled him in some firewood that was good and dry. He's a little nervous about the woodburner but is already beginning to understand that if the furnace doesn't run neither does the gas meter. This weekend I'm going to untarp the little Allis Chalmer and hook up the trailer. Teach dad how to drive it and go down to the creek bottom and get some more wood and kindling. I'm guessing those two little girls will always remember dad taking them in the trailer to get wood to keep warm. Previously they lived in town and didn't even have a yard to play in. Now they've got 20 acres of yard and a creek.

I haven't felt soooooo good for a long time. This isn't about me, it's about being able to offer help to someone that was in a nearly hopeless situation just a few weeks ago. I've never been much of a charitable person---I think a lot of people take it as a free ride. Just go to a bingo hall and I'll bet half the people there were at the food bank earlier.

Last week I let the girls help make homemade noodles. Maybe this weekend I'll teach dad how to make homemade chicken and noodles. This week a 10 lb bag of leg quarters is $4.90-------that's a helluva lot of eating for the price of a big mac and fries.

I can't wait for the weekend and getting outdoors with dad and his two little girls.

...that's a good story and rep goes out to you for that.If you have ever heard the parable of the sheep and the goats...this sorta falls into line with that.
God Bless You!

..in my signature it say's you can give a man fish and he'll eat today or you can teach him how to fish and he'll feed himself forever.
I believe we all need to put forth the effort...the outcome is never within our control.
there are many wood burner folk that work hard to sustain their lifestyle.We are a proud folk, however we need to be ever so humble knowing full well that dissaster can be just off of the door step... having people around us that care for us help us when the need is there.Humanity's greatest gift is that helping hand we can give away to others.

WTG & props!!!!!

Excellent story...!

I haven't felt soooooo good for a long time. This isn't about me, it's about being able to offer help to someone that was in a nearly hopeless situation just a few weeks ago. I've never been much of a charitable person---I think a lot of people take it as a free ride.

Last week I let the girls help make homemade noodles. Maybe this weekend I'll teach dad how to make homemade chicken and noodles. This week a 10 lb bag of leg quarters is $4.90-------that's a helluva lot of eating for the price of a big mac and fries.

I can't wait for the weekend and getting outdoors with dad and his two little girls.

That made for some real good heartwarming reading:cheers:!

...that's a good story and rep goes out to you for that.If you have ever heard the parable of the sheep and the goats...this sorta falls into line with that.
God Bless You!

..in my signature it say's you can give a man fish and he'll eat today or you can teach him how to fish and he'll feed himself forever.
I believe we all need to put forth the effort...the outcome is never within our control.
there are many wood burner folk that work hard to sustain their lifestyle.We are a proud folk, however we need to be ever so humble knowing full well that dissaster can be just off of the door step... having people around us that care for us help us when the need is there.Humanity's greatest gift is that helping hand we can give away to others.

WTG & props!!!!!

Very well said...

The entirety of God's law hangs upon two principles. We must love our Father with all we've got, and our neighbor as ourself.

Thanks for a heart warming story and may Yahweh bless you and yours in Christ Yeshua...

Arkdiscovery.com

Very nice

My friend's parents have taken quite a few people into their guest bedroom over the years, free of charge. They got screwed by one of them, but still let another friend come stay there a few months later when he didn't have anything more than a camper trailer to spend the winter in. Very caring people.

Im a little confused though, whos dad is staying there? Your gf's neices ex?

What a gift

Your giving is a gift to both parties.You have my respect!!!!!!!Have a blast doing the wood gathering and BE SAFE.I love stories like this.

The story sounds good but you lost me. You said Dad died but then talk about mom kicking dad out. I need clarification. I did say the story was good right? :cheers:

The story sounds good but you lost me. You said Dad died but then talk about mom kicking dad out. I need clarification. I did say the story was good right? :cheers:

The little girl was born shortly after MY dad died. I never realized it at the time but years later somebody told me the girl was filling a void left by my father. I've never been a religious person nor were my parents, however they were far more christian in their actions than LOTS of people who got dressed up and went to church. I remember dad saying it was kind of crazy having a thousand page book to tell you right from wrong, the right thing to do should just come naturally.

walk the walk

Man your killing me.The older I get the less tolerance I have for BS and charlatans.It sound like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.We need all the people of substance we can get in this country.All the best to you.

The little girl was born shortly after MY dad died. I never realized it at the time but years later somebody told me the girl was filling a void left by my father. I've never been a religious person nor were my parents, however they were far more christian in their actions than LOTS of people who got dressed up and went to church. I remember dad saying it was kind of crazy having a thousand page book to tell you right from wrong, the right thing to do should just come naturally.

I see. As for me and my family we pretty much live by"do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Keep on keepin on.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back