Witnessed my first saw injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also been lucky enough to have never had a chainsaw I was operating kickback enough for the bar to leave the saw kerf. I've had them bump straight back at me a few times, enough to spook me into paying closer attention to what I'm doing. The only chainsaw cuts I've ever gotten were very minor and from saws that weren't running.

I'm not stupid enough to believe that this is just luck, or due to great skills, either. But I managed to figure out very quickly what will make the saw kick back and I'm very attentive to avoiding it. As mentioned, you really have to pay very close attention to where the tip of the bar is, and for crying out loud, if you're cutting half of a Y crotch off, make that first cut up where the bar is nowhere near the other half. A second cut to lop off the stub using both hands isn't going to send you into bankruptcy because the job took too long.

I love my MS-150T and I one-hand the heck out of that thing. I'll probably burn for eternity in somebody's version of Hell for it. I try to get both hands on it for most cuts, keep my face and sensitive body parts out of the bar's potential kickback path, and I don't cut until I'm certain there isn't anything near the cut that the bar tip can contact. That's the best I can do in the interests of keeping all of my appendages. I never encourage anyone else to do it, for the same reason I don't encourage them to perform brain surgery with only a high school education. Neither one is something you just start doing because you watched a couple of YouBoob videos and magically aquired leet skilz between wanking sessions.

Back