Wizard/Poulan 2000 teardown.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturelover

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Well, probably no one cares, but here is the Wizard/Poulan 2000 on the bench, the freebie parts saw to my former Poulan 2000. It does run, and has around 100psi compression.

Deciding on whether or not to fix her up, have come up with about $50 for parts w/o b/c. Will probably depend on whether or not I can fix the adjuster plate, though I think I have an idea with a piece of metal tapped and screwed into the oil tank with a hole in it for the adjuster screw. Am hoping that as long as it holds it in there, that the bar should hold it once tightened.

At the minium, will at least need a new ring, carb kit (which I may have already), adjustment screw and oil line/filter, could then see how it well it runs and if compression increased and add sprocket, seals, and so on if I wanted to keep going with it (assuming of course it passes a vac test). That would probably keep it around the $20 range for starters. If I can luck into a 16" bar, I do have some chains for it (though I would rather have a 12 or 14" on it). Would need a sprocket, as that one is pretty much shot.

So will see I suppose. May wait for another one to show up at the junkyard, if I can ever get the time to go look for one.

Anyway, some pics.

Picture320.jpg

Picture323.jpg

Probably why it was junked, though it looks like someone was in here before.

Picture327.jpg

p/c

Picture330.jpg

Picture333.jpg

Picture331.jpg

Picture334.jpg

A prick picks up some roughness around the exhaust port, so it will need some work. Plan on an acid treatment and a sanding to get it as smooth as I can.

The ring gap was over 40 thousands, that was the biggest spark plug gapper I had, that seems wayyy too large. You can see it in the picture of the cylinder above.

It also didn't have a locater pin for the ring and I don't remember from when I tore down mine from before whether or not it is supposed to.

And endplay between the thrust washer and the crankshaft was .016, is that too much?

Picture336.jpg

And I really need a better camera...

I've never seen a Wizard branded Poulan that was green (or had both Poulan and Wizard on the same decal). Every Wizard saw I've seen was a reddish orange. Post your questions in the Poulan thread for much more responses. Go the to chainsaw forum index and click "stickies" at the top. You'll see the Poulan thread within.

I recomend you get another crankcase/tank assembly from a parts saw, as that adjuster section is badly busted up. Guys here have many old parts saws. The Poulan Micro saws are good units, but I wouldn't throw a whole lotta $$$ at it.

So I have an odd-ball? :clap:

Will venture on to the Poulan thread after a little update, and repost there, but things have taken a turn for the worst... :confused:

I had it all in a box, and went to move it off my riding mower...

47b1b92b.jpg

Dropped it. :censored:

:msp_blushing:

Poulan 2000.

I have a 2000 with the adjuster broken out just like that. I also had an extra self adjusting bar (the kind with the screwdriver slot in the bar itself). Works great on the 2000. Pushes right on the case and tensions the chain no problem. I usually back off the adjuster after the bar nut is tight. I don't want it to scratch up the nice broken case:msp_confused: lol.

If I were you, I'd watch for a clean 2000 on ebay or just one with good compression and change out the whole motor and use your nice covers. cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POULAN-MODE...ultDomain_0&hash=item19cd8335af#ht_500wt_1203

There's one just like yours:)

Last edited:
I have a 2000 with the adjuster broken out just like that. I also had an extra self adjusting bar (the kind with the screwdriver slot in the bar itself). Works great on the 2000. Pushes right on the case and tensions the chain no problem. I usually back off the adjuster after the bar nut is tight. I don't want it to scratch up the nice broken case:msp_confused: lol.

If I were you, I'd watch for a clean 2000 on ebay or just one with good compression and change out the whole motor and use your nice covers. cheaper.

POULAN MODEL WIZARD 2000 CHAINSAW FOR PARTS COMPLETE HAS COMPRESSION | eBay

There's one just like yours:)

Interesting! :smile:

Appreciate the heads up, might have to keep an eye on that one, don't need it, but....

Crap, is this how CAD starts? :msp_scared:

I was thinking I had another one of these 2000's somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I got rid of it or something over the years, but will have another look-see for it or maybe a p/c.

Stopped at the pawn shop today to have a look, but no luck. Gosh, at their prices though, I probably wouldn't have messed with it if they did.

Last edited:
Well, another Poulan 2000 was picked up for me at a junkyard....

Best of all, it was a freebie too!

d824acc4.jpg

eec40e2a.jpg

In need of a fuel line.

2938ffd2.jpg

Ouch....

7faaee53.jpg

c44c15df.jpg

08c90a82.jpg

Intake side didn't look all that bad considering.

cc440dfd.jpg

On the plus side, the case itself is okay, save for a few thrown chain marks. A good cleaning is up next, then get the parts together and see what I have. I think the cylinder from the Wizard will clean up nicely, but will still need a piston and some odds and ends maybe.

But am getting closer!

Here is a pic of everything cleaned up, didn't realize it, but the newer Poulan model has a plastic clutch side case, while the older Wizard one is metal.

8046c86f.jpg

Still in need at least a piston and ring, or maybe another parts saw.... :msp_w00t:

Back