Wood-1 me-0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well tonight i had to cut this 20'' cottonwood to try to make up a 1/3 of a cord and i had the trusty 024 with new chain. well it took foerever to cut so i thought hay this will make my grandparents some good night wood so i threw it off to the side. well tonight i went out and i was going to split it for them so i got the splitter goin. once it was nice and warm i hauled the round over put it up on the splitter then pushed the lever forward i heard this crack. it wasnt the kind of crack i am used to hearing but it sounded like a crack from a really hard piece of wood. so all i thought was oh:censored: so i stopped the ram then i leaned against the round so it couldnt shoot back and hit me. then it cracked:dizzy: since i was leaning up against it when it popped all the force was delivered straight into my gut :jawdrop: oh man it felt like somebody had just hit me me with a forging hammer. i had to take a breather because it actually knocked the wind out of me. after that i still had to split the round into smaller pieces and i was pretty nervous about whether i was going to get hit again but luckily nothing happened and now its keeping the house at about 80.:)

OOOHHH YEAHHH!!!:mad:

Gots ta make dat Belligerant wood PAY!!!

Don't be takin' no crap from them Cocky Cottonwoods, show 'em thier place, and don't be toleratin' no uppity rounds!

If ya gotsta', get out the Maul and go medival on thier ass once in a while, so's the other rounds don't get no ideas while sittin' in dat pile.:D

LOL!
Seasoned knotty Walnut will load up like a Victor leg trap and pop like that.
I can't find my Cup, so I make sure to stand 90 degrees to the splitter when running it now. Some places ain't supposed to be Black and blue with splinters sticking out.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've had the same thing happen a few times with oak. After the pain goes away I'm always thankfull that my splitter is at waist height!! :)

My buddy had an old splitter with a wedge on the bottom and got a piece stuck on the wedge with the ram bottomed out. So he decided to put another piece in to try to get it off, they both blew out of there (right where the 2 pieces met) like an explosion. Hit him in the face and broke his nose

My brother was hit right between the eyes w/ a knot that came out of a piece of oak...He was running the splitter w/ my grandpa when it happened...It knocked him plumb out, grampa thought he was dead...

We had firewood-sized pieces of wood flying about 30 feet

when we split the big maple. One flew out when I was going to get another round and flew about 6 inches over my head!!!!! It was moving like it came out of a cannon!!!! gotta keep your eye on the splitter, and maybe install a safety cage...:dizzy:

i am so glad i dont have he stuff you guys got back east i probably would have been in the hospital by now:dizzy: but its always exciting when you get a straight seasoned piece of wood none the less:cheers:

My brother was hit right between the eyes w/ a knot that came out of a piece of oak...He was running the splitter w/ my grandpa when it happened...It knocked him plumb out, grampa thought he was dead...

Im sure it wasnt funny at the time but Im imagining a slapstick,litttle rascals scene in my head. He is ok today isnt he? :)

I think I'll add this thread to the long list of reasons I split everything with striking tools.

I had a stick the size of a 4"x4" pop out of my splitter and smack me in the mouth 2 weeks before my high school graduation. i knew for sure it had busted all the teeth out my head. Some how i walked away with just a big ole fat bloody lip. scared me to death. needless to say i looked like an idiot in my Sr yearbook :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i tell ya i was splitting some oak one day last week and i took and swung my manual log splitter and hit a peice of oak and it broke off and hit my brother right smack him in the :censored: and i couldn't help from laughtin at him but now he takes a moans and growns every time he has to take a wiss but i'm just glad it didn't hurt him really bad but every time i think about him getting hit i laught but now he won't stand that close to me while i'm busting wood any more like i have been trying to tell him from the start that he will get hurt standing there but he wouldn't listen to me but i bet now he will lmao

I've had chunks fly past my head a couple of times splitting wood with our custom wood splitter powered by our 60 hp Gehl 4840 skid steer. Knots or no knots, it splits everything we put in it.

i hear that i try to stay as clear as a i can from the wood. when i'm standing by wacthing some one else take a wac at it. and sometimes i liked to got hit my self. but i'm alitte to quick for it to hit me tho

Back