wood burning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im gonna be taking down a couple cedar trees and a couple black walnut trees this spring. are these types of wood any good to burn or are there draw backs .. have never burned either one, really dont think you can the cedar but thought I would ask,. thanks.

Cedar is great for strating the fire, catches really fast, almost like paper. The walnut would probably burn like any other fruit tree..really hot, lots of BTUS and a good overnight wood..I wouldnt hesitate to burn either in my stoves any time..althou we dont have any walnut here i have burnt pear, apple and plum tree..It all burns:rock:

Wood is wood That said some kinds are better than others. Dry it burn it Walnut=good btu's Cedar = not so good btu"s

Walnut is a good hardwood, but leave a lot of ash behind.
Cedar is good for starting fires, but will burn quickly.

Im gonna be taking down a couple cedar trees and a couple black walnut trees this spring. are these types of wood any good to burn or are there draw backs .. have never burned either one, really dont think you can the cedar but thought I would ask,. thanks.

Black walnut may be much more valuable as sawlogs than as firewood. Nothing quite like it for furniture.

If conifers were not suitable as firewood, what would the good folks in Manitoba do?

Cedar for kindling and quick warmups, black walnut for daytime or shoulder season. I'd rather have something else for a cold overnight. Both good woods!:msp_thumbup:

I burn both eastern red cedar and black walnut. There is not much a difference in my eyes. The black walnut never impressed me much, and the cedar burns hotter and longer than you would think due to it's oily nature. Dry it, burn it, enjoy it.

I've burned both. Black Walnut in Ohio and Red and White cedar here. Like said cedar is great for starting and will throw heat, just doesn't last that long, but smells great! BW is more like a "regular" go to firewood throwing heat like cherry. Fair coals.

Basically just about all wood species give off the same amount of heat per pound of seasoned wood. Cedar is a lighter weight wood so it won't give off as much heat as the same size log of a heavier species.

But well seasoned, they all work! :)

Ken

They are both VEWY,VEWY bad woods to burn.

I aint far just send the wood my way! :yoyo:

Burned em both and they both catch fire!
Cedar does smell nicer tho. :blob2:

If they are big black walnut trees sell them for saw logs and use the money to buy 3-4X as much oak firewood already processed.:msp_thumbup:

If they are big black walnut trees sell them for saw logs and use the money to buy 3-4X as much oak firewood already processed.:msp_thumbup:

Typically how big in diameter do the mills want before they will buy walnut? I'm assuming they have to be fairly big logs?

Ken

Black Walnut carries about 20 million btu's per cord.
Cedar carries 12 million btu's per cord.

The walnut is like burning birch,red maple,cherry.
The cedar...the only thing worse is bamboo or balsa....but for a fast hot fire it would be what the doctor ordered.

Don't know about the cedar, but when the walnut is dry, I like the way it burns, and it makes good heat, only in a sealed stove though, as the oil in the wood stinks. Big, hot coals too!

Also, as was pointed out in a reply, are the walnuts of any size? Might want to have a timber buyer look at them as walnut is up right now due to a bug out west getting into the.
I sold 5 2 years ago, made a pretty penny, food for thought....

Well the wood snob in me says I wouldn't burn either, but that is because I have so much hickory, oak, beech, locust on hand that I don't waste time with lesser woods. But if someone left it in my way of getting good firewood I would cut and load it rather than step over it to get to what I want. I have had plenty of elm, gum, maple, pine and even poplar find its way into my stove because it was in my way of getting to the good wood.

Last edited:
I always cut some cedar (actually utah juniper) each year as it is wonderful as kindling wood. starts fast, burns hot, splits easily into thin pieces. Has a wonderful aroma. Drawbacks are that even large pieces do not produce long lasting coals, burn times on a 6" diameter log only about one hour.

Back