Wood chuck cant hook?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link523

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at the woodchuck peavy/cant hook. Anyone have one or use one? Are they any good? I now a lot use logrite, but I like the dual purpose aspect. I plan to do some milling and firewood cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at the woodchuck peavy/cant hook. Anyone have one or use one? Are they any good? I now a lot use logrite, but I like the dual purpose aspect. I plan to do some milling and firewood cutting.

I have had one for about three years. Mine is the dual with the log jack. It is a very good tool, but very heavy. I used it last weekend to turn over several large logs that were frozen to the ground so I could complete cuts with my chainsaw.

I wrote a review on it here shortly after I bought it in 2013:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodchuck-Jac...qid=1453272062&sr=8-4&keywords=woodchuck+dual

I have the woodchuck dual as well. And it is definitely a very beefy tool. I'm also very impressed with how the teeth on the shaft helps with gripping some really massive logs. Great tool that will last a lifetime.

I havent used mine yet but these are my observations of it...

Its made in the USA! = Winning. Mine has an aluminum handle and I didnt think it was overly heavy but seems rugged, the jaw is steel. The ease of putting on/off the jack is simple. I cant wait to use it.

Its made in the USA! = Winning. Mine has an aluminum handle and I didnt think it was overly heavy but seems rugged, the jaw is steel. The ease of putting on/off the jack is simple. I cant wait to use it.
You will love it. I sometimes wish it had a longer handle but I've moved some seriously big and heavy oak logs.
20151114_124451.jpg

There is only one problem I have encountered, If you accidentally drop a 30" diameter log on it the handle will bend! Not much, but you will notice it. W. Jones

Don't leave home without my peavy. Old time with 8' handle from my front yard ash tree

There is only one problem I have encountered, If you accidentally drop a 30" diameter log on it the handle will bend! Not much, but you will notice it. W. Jones
I'd bend a little too if a 30" diameter log was dropped on me, lol. If it only bent a slight amount, I think it attests to the wall thickness and strength of the handle...nothing wrong with that.

I'll be moving firewood today and when I'm down at my pile I will take the chucker down and try rolling a log out of the half frozen ground. That should be a good test for it. I'll report back tonight. Congrats on your new tool.

I'll be moving firewood today and when I'm down at my pile I will take the chucker down and try rolling a log out of the half frozen ground. That should be a good test for it. I'll report back tonight. Congrats on your new tool.
A good whack with a sledge will give you a leg up before you put the peavy into motion on frozen logs

i have one and use it all the time. Get a lot of logs dumped in my yard and find it saves time with the bigger ones. also, I get logs off a builder when he clears his lot and use it to move logs around. Definitely worth it to me.

Well I got it a few weeks back looks well built. Got to use it for the first time last night, worked great on 24" x 10' maple logs. Got some free Craigslist firewood!!!

Back