Wood cutting partner gone for the summer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It nearly tore my insides out as I watched my son climb onto the plane and leave yesterday.He left for his basic training at Fort Jackson SC and then onto Fort lenoard Wood Mo for his AIT.He will be home around october 10th.
He joined the National Guard last september,tuned 18 and graduated high school just a few weeks ago.
As a father My hat size has trippled in the last few days,His mom passed away when he was five so for a long time it was just the two us so and this made us Especially close.

In A way the son I put on a plane is long gone ,,but just imagine The man I am getting in return.

A blessed man for sure.

My Son is 11 and wants to be a Marine. The pride instilled is amazing.

I thank your son for his courage. You should be proud. :msp_biggrin:

It makes me proud just reading about it...Hats off to a great job raising your son:msp_thumbup:

Not only you but his mom is also smiling down and also very proud of her son. Good job dad for raising a good man you have every reason to be proud.

With 8 kids, I don't forsee that the first one flying the coop will be a great burden on my emotions, but when you've only got one and no wife, that must be tough. Glad to see he's going out with tears and not a boot or a fist. Too many families tear themselves apart these days. Good for you for keeping yours so strong!

And a big rep shot for the Army National Guard! Hua!! :clap: Fort Lost-in-the-Woods, eh? Infantry?

With 8 kids, I don't forsee that the first one flying the coop will be a great burden on my emotions, but when you've only got one and no wife, that must be tough. Glad to see he's going out with tears and not a boot or a fist. Too many families tear themselves apart these days. Good for you for keeping yours so strong!

And a big rep shot for the Army National Guard! Hua!! :clap: Fort Lost-in-the-Woods, eh? Infantry?

likely MP for AIT at Lost in the Woods............Benning is home of the Infantry, and what an awesome place it is in August.

Army birthday today! get some!!!!!

Nice job dad!

My oldest (5) wants to be an "Army guy" too.

I've got two kids, a boy and a girl. 10 years ago my then 18 year old son boarded a plane in St. George, UT on his way to "Boot Camp" at Fort Benning, GA. I kinda know how you feel!! I am very proud of you and your son. He will return a different guy, and in a good way!!

My son went on to become an Army Ranger, deploying twice to Afghanistan, and twice to Iraq. He won the Silver Star for "Gallantry in Action" in a little town called Tikrit, Iraq. We worried a lot during those years.

He came home, went to college (which the Army paid for), got a BS degree in Biology, and got a job!!!

Thank Goodness!!!

The army focused him, and inspired him to be passionate about his life and his future.

Again, my family is very proud of your son, and you!! Hang in there, he'll be back, helping you get that firewood pile going!

Last edited:
Congrats...sounds like you did a fine job raising him. AIT at Fort Leonard wood...truck driver or supply? I'm rather fond of Ft Knox for obvious reasons if you see the picture!

Congrats...sounds like you did a fine job raising him. AIT at Fort Leonard wood...truck driver or supply? I'm rather fond of Ft Knox for obvious reasons if you see the picture!

I think army is calling it transportation ,,but i think its truck driver,,either way with the benefits the services are offering now a young person would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

The benefits offered by the guard is really going to make things easier on my wallet when he starts college in the spring.

Happy early "Father's Day" to you sir. Thanks in advance to your son for his service!

My first post here but I wanted to say my son went to Fort Jackson for basic about 5 years ago,currently in Germany.When your son graduates you should go to the ceremony if at all possible,it was fantastic,then you get a day with him which is called family day.There must have been 3000 people there for the ceremony.Everyone was from the south,not sure why my son was sent there instead of NJ which is where most from around here go but we were happy he went to Ft Jackson.The city and base are very nice.My wife and I went with my parents in there camper and stayed in a campground on base.They also have log cabins on the lake which they were building at the time for overnight rentals which were real nice.They rented canoes,pontoon boats etc real cheap.

Latest posts

Back