Wood for smoking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dogsout

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Smoking a loin as I type this with good and dry apple. Have a stock of Apple, Cherry and Hickory and tend to use Cherry the most. I agree very much with Buzzsawyer dryer the better and control the air flow.

buzz sawyer
I start with a double layer of unlit briquets, cover with a single layer of fully burning briquets, then toss my smoking wood on top. When finished, the wood still has it's shape but has turned to charcoal. That tells me no flare-ups. Temp remains constant - around 240F. A whole pork shoulder takes about 6 hours to reach 165F. I can get an 8 - 10 hour burn this way. This is in a smoker I built from a vertical 55 gal drum.

panolo

panolo

Seldom right...Always opinionated!
I have a friend who just came back from Oregon and smoked some salmon with some semi-green apple and it was phenomenal. I always soak my wood for smoking unless I am doing something like brats where it's a quick couple hours and the casing doesn't have a ton of time to absorb the flavor.

Latest posts