Wood from the Hood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I responded to a Craigslist ad for wood in Akron, not too far from where I live. It turned out it was a large oak that had been cut down the year before in an empty lot. I have quite a bit of experience exracting wood from the hood. Loading >3' rounds always draws a crowd. Knowing this I always try to pack light and keep valuables out of sight. It is hard to keep one eye on your stuff while you are running a chainsaw. Here's the picture from Craigslist. Of course by the time I got there any small stuff was gone and only the monsters were left.

hoodwood.jpg

No problem, that is why I have the 394:cool2: I quartered and Fiskared everything up and put it in the truck and trailer. It will end up being about 1.5 cords when I finally get it split. To give an idea on the size of the rounds this is the 394 with a 34" bar sitting on the round.

IMG_0081.jpg

I had quite the cheering section. cries of "yeah, get it" could be heard from nearby porches all around. It is impressive to see a 40" round get split in half with a maul, even if you did noodle most of the way through first.

Were you wearing your hoodie and rolling on 20s and packin your nine?

Nice scrounge there, excellent stuff.

Might get some help if you would take some Colt 45 Malt Liquor along.

I did find some large empty glass beverage containers. Apparently the residents used the rounds as benches.

The owner of the lot was overseeing the removal. He was an 80 year old man who kept saying things like "I'd hate to see the bear after you got in a bear fight" or "I'd be afraid of the man who could take you in a fight". I stand almost 6'5 and weigh close to 350#. I'm not the type looking for a fight and my size, let alone swinging the fiskars, is usually enough to keep people from testing me. The lot had three houses on it and the old man bought them up as the became abandoned and eventually condemned over the years. He has gradually been taking out the houses and trees to make a garden.

He told me that he had tried to burn some of the wood in his firepit but it would just spit and sizzle. Eventually it would coal and then it would smoulder for days. I busted up a wheelbarrow's worth and told him to stack it up where it would get some sun/wind but no rain and come fall he would have some nice burning firewood. He was amazed as I busted up the pieces with the fiskars. Of course I took credit. The quality tool can be my secret.

How much wood could a good hood get, if a good hood, could get wood!!!!!!!!!

Good find!

I've cut in the Akron/Canton area before but I always get stuck with the ones that need to be dropped. Half of them are people looking to avoid a tree service on a hazardous drop so I don't end up taking them and half are doable.

I don't even look at trees that need dropped. I also don't deal with brush. Usually what I end up with is stuff that is too big for most people to deal with. It has worked well for me so far.

Latest posts

Back