Wood ID - Cherry ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dealingdave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The person I got this from said the tree was some type of cherry. Can anybody narrow this one down a bit? I know it is not black cherry, since I split a bunch of it earlier. Smell of this wood is nothing like the black cherry (no cherry smell).

Those growth rings are awfully large for most of the Cherry I've seen around here and I'd be surprised if the OP's climate is significantly better. I vote no for Pin Cherry. We've got piles of it here. It has brown, semi-glossy bark and fissure-like spots which can extend partway around the trunk. The wood has a very distinct odor, also. This is typical for Pin Cherry:
attachment.php

View attachment 213524

I wouldnt bet my paycheck on it by any means but it does kinda look like smooth bark hickory to me.

I'm leaning toward Honey Locust on this one as well but would like to know if this stuff is heavy or not, if it is that's my guess.

What does the split wood on honey locust smell like? What I remember on this smell is that it really did not have a memorable smell. Not like ash, oak or black cherry. I will have to spend some time reading up on honey locust.

This wood is pretty dense/heavy for the size. I have a bunch of this and will take some more pics if it helps anybody out.

I've cut and burned plenty of Staghorn Sumac in the burn pit. It's got some recognizable characteristics. The wood is very green when fresh cut, and there's a white, sticky sap that is like glue just under the bark. When burning the wood snaps and pops something fierce, sometimes sending embers 3-4 feet away. There are other Sumacs that may not share these attributes.

Here are a couple more pics of the same tree, just on a larger diameter section. There were no thorns on the bark. I did not get a chance to see any leaves or branches, as everything was run through the chipper.

I did another smell test and it is a hard one to describe. Nothing like ash. A lot fainter than oak, but similar.

The outer bark is messing with the ID. I searched a lot of pictures of honey locust, but the bark does not match.

Is there another locust out there that could be similar to honey locust? Does the bark of honey locust change as it ages? Maybe the smooth texture is a younger tree?

The outer bark is messing with the ID. I searched a lot of pictures of honey locust, but the bark does not match.

Is there another locust out there that could be similar to honey locust? Does the bark of honey locust change as it ages? Maybe the smooth texture is a younger tree?

Yes it does... The juvenile wood can be smooth... Older trunks get pretty shaggy... I wasn't sure you even had honey locust in WI...

Honey locust can be fairly common in areas where they were planted along a fence row here in the upper Midwest. From the pictures I was thinking it would be from a smaller dbh tree or a large limb.

Back