Wood ID - Cherry ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The outer bark is messing with the ID. I searched a lot of pictures of honey locust, but the bark does not match.

Is there another locust out there that could be similar to honey locust? Does the bark of honey locust change as it ages? Maybe the smooth texture is a younger tree?

I'm not going to argue with anybody who is sure it's not honey locust, but I just cut up a fairly large one, and a lot of the bark looks just like the pics. It was a thornless variety, thank goodness.

I'm not going to argue with anybody who is sure it's not honey locust, but I just cut up a fairly large one, and a lot of the bark looks just like the pics. It was a thornless variety, thank goodness.

What... You don't want to tangle with this bad boy??? :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

I vote for honey locust. The pics of the rounds reminds me of it and the bark sure looks close to it as well.

Honey Locust it is then. I really appreciate the time everyone put in on offering up their thoughts. It sucks getting a truckload of wood with no idea of what is in the pile. I wish I could see the tree before it is trimmed/removed, but it doesn't work out that way sometimes.

How does honey locust burn compared to say oak or maple? Does it take long to season?

Dave

Honey Locust it is then. I really appreciate the time everyone put in on offering up their thoughts. It sucks getting a truckload of wood with no idea of what is in the pile. I wish I could see the tree before it is trimmed/removed, but it doesn't work out that way sometimes.

How does honey locust burn compared to say oak or maple? Does it take long to season?

Dave

Honey Locust will be similar to oak in season time and BTU content... It's a long burning, good coaling wood... Higher in BTU than Ash...

Dave

Depends on how it is split as to how long it needs seasoned. I have a honey locust taken this past spring that measures 12% on my moisture meter (and yes reading was taken on freshly split piece). Its a great firewood, burns hot and doesnt leave a lot of troublesome fluffy ash.

Do you have any pics of more mature bark?
I've scoured the internet on trees of Wisconsin and the closest I get is choke cherry or black cherry but your bark is so unique on that specimen its really hard to tell.
What diameter is the biggest round you have? This would give an indicator of age provided you have the base.

Do you have any pics of more mature bark?
I've scoured the internet on trees of Wisconsin and the closest I get is choke cherry or black cherry but your bark is so unique on that specimen its really hard to tell.
What diameter is the biggest round you have? This would give an indicator of age provided you have the base.

Mature bark of which variety?

Mature bark of which variety?

The original pictures. I was hoping those were from younger growth.
Just shooting in the dark. Might sound stupid to some but you never know unless you ask.
I've never seen bark like that and am really curious especially if it is some really good wood to burn. That way I can look out for it.

Just shooting in the dark. Might sound stupid to some but you never know unless you ask.
I've never seen bark like that and am really curious especially if it is some really good wood to burn. That way I can look out for it.

"Honeylocust bark is nearly black, smooth when young, but breaks into long, narrow ridges at maturity."
young
View attachment 214283
old
View attachment 214284

I think the only way you'll find a honey locust where you're at is if someone planted it... I just spent 2 days cutting about 5 miles north of you and there is a different locust tree in your area that is just as good... It's black locust... The wood is yellow as opposed to pink in color. Look it up on a tree ID site... You'll be able to spot it a mile off... I spent most of 2 days cutting red elm and dead ash up there... It's everywhere... Up off Cochran road...

I think the only way you'll find a honey locust where you're at is if someone planted it... I just spent 2 days cutting about 5 miles north of you and there is a different locust tree in your area that is just as good... It's black locust... The wood is yellow as opposed to pink in color. Look it up on a tree ID site... You'll be able to spot it a mile off... I spent most of 2 days cutting red elm and dead ash up there... It's everywhere... Up off Cochran road...

I live on Cochran! What a coincidence. Only I don't have wood rights anywhere close.
I've been around black locust on a landscape job many years ago. I called it the devil tree. man did it have some wicked thorns.
We do have another Locust around that isn't black. I see it on a lot of yards. Small leaves and yellow in the fall but no spikes.
My neighbor has a lot full of dead ash. big stuff. I've only been here 6 months and haven't figured the best way on how to approach them for cutting rights. A face cord of wood around here is going about $50.

I live on Cochran! What a coincidence. Only I don't have wood rights anywhere close.
I've been around black locust on a landscape job many years ago. I called it the devil tree. man did it have some wicked thorns.
We do have another Locust around that isn't black. I see it on a lot of yards. Small leaves and yellow in the fall but no spikes.
My neighbor has a lot full of dead ash. big stuff. I've only been here 6 months and haven't figured the best way on how to approach them for cutting rights. A face cord of wood around here is going about $50.

It looked like the Ash bore had been busy when I was up there... Just let them know about the tree killing bug problem and ask them if you can cut the dead ones... If they burn, offer to put one of three loads in their barn... That's a good deal for them... Standing dead timber ain't worth much...

Don't forget to look on the ground for black locust as well. Even if it is totally covered in moss and couple inches sunk in muck, it's usually rock hard inside. Rots as fast as aluminum rusts. I've gotten several nice locust trees this way, since most people pass it up as being junk.

Back